ethanol

Old 04-18-11, 07:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
ethanol

I recently had to make a road trip and noticed that the pumps where I stopped for gas in Ohio and Kentucky had no 10% ethanol stickers. In tn and va, the pumps must be clearly marked that they have ethanol. The few stations that don't have ethanol have big advertising stating that their fuel is 100% gas.

I had always assumed that the ethanol sticker was mandated by the federal gov't..... is that not true? or is there a reason the norther states don't have an ethanol blend ??

just curious and ya, I know what happened to that cat

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-11, 09:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I, too was under the impression if there is anything but gasoline in the tank it must be advertised, such as ethanol. You'll find it in really small print somewhere, because, as usual, the government doesn't require it to be obvious, it just has to be there.
Here, too, the stations that have ethanol free gas put big signs out there.
You may be on to something, cause I know when we go to visit our daughter in Denver their octane rating is weird, but I am sure it is due to the altitude. Northern states may just get a break 'cause they think they won the war, who knows??

Old 04-30-11, 08:40 PM
OMG, won the war? They did! Truthfully though, ethanol had nothing to do with it! Haha!
Here in Tennessee, ethanol seems to be preferred by the customers as they seem to flock to the big box stations to fill up and drive by the "No Ethanol" signs, go figure. I myself flock to the "No Ethanol" stations as it gives a measurable amount of power increase and MPG increase. I use it exclusively in all small engines like mowers, weed wackers, and any other small engine where even a small increase in power is very noticeable. Back in the days before ethanol these small engines were lower in rated horse power and worked just fine, where these days we must increase the HP and size just to get the mowing completed. Is there any real benefit to ethanol? I can't see one save for the ethanol producers that make big money and still get large subsidies from the US Government. It looks to me as if we pay out in more way now than we did before.

Old 05-01-11, 03:17 AM
Marksr, another thing, too. You run an NAA. Do you mix Instead 'o Lead in your fuel? Makes the valves quite a bit happier. My 640 seems to smile with good lubrication in that area. Newer fuels, especially the ones the government has messed with are a death sentence to those older engines without precautions.
Increasing cetane in diesel fuel supplies in the winter causes diesel engines to run at a noticeable less MPG than in the summer when you don't need the additive to keep it from gelling.

Old 05-01-11, 04:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Larry I used to use the 'instead of lead' in both my 53 NAA and my 51 F1 but somewhere along the line I quit using it. I don't remember why, maybe it just got harder to find, anyway, I read an article a few years back that said the suspected valve problems turned out not to be an issue with unleaded gas in older vehicles. While I make a point to get ethanol free gas for my chainsaw, I pretty much use the 10% ethanol in everything else and haven't noticed any issues. I am concerned about them going to 15% ethanol.

Most of the gas stations around here are 10% ethanol. The few 'pure gas' stations run 10-15 cents more per gallon - it's no wonder they don't get as much business. I do wonder at how much the true coat of producing and using ethanol is.

Old 05-01-11, 08:53 AM
i remember when they started putting ethanol in the gas around here, 10%.
my gas mileage and power dropped by 10%.

no 100% gas stations around here.

Old 05-02-11, 08:23 AM
Due to Kansas driver's having an aversion to ethanol mixes, one of our former governors mandated that stations do not have to post if there is ethanol in the gasoline or not. This mandate was a political ploy to appease the local farming community, specifically the corn growers. The very few stations that sell both ethanol mix and straight gasoline usually charge 10 cents/gallon more for pure gasoline, so people now flock to the ethanol mix because its cheaper, and don't realize their gas mileage will be less. The ethanol mix is also shown as being 89 octane, while straight unleaded gas is 87 octane, so most people assume "higher is better".

Old 05-02-11, 11:50 AM
Here in Tennessee the non ethanol seems to be cheaper than the plus ethanol, I do not understand except that the cost of ethanol may be even more than "pure" gasoline. Regardless, I use non ethanol exclusively. Higher octane gasoline in engines is simply a waste and should be avoided if possible. Higher octane do "NOT" give you better mileage than the fuel rated for that engine, but some people will ignore the facts and guarantee that they get better MPG with the higher octane fuel. Simply put, if you put the octane fuel into the tank that is suggested by the manufacturer you will get the best performance possible. The manufacturers have no dog in the petroleum fight and label the vehicles required octane level correctly. I love the "no ethanol" gasoline, you can afford to pay higher prices for no ethanol gas as you will get much improved MPG, about equivalent to the amounts of ethanol added. In the US, we the people are screwed everyday by politicians out to get the campaign funds to finance the re-election of their sorry a_ _!

Old 05-02-11, 12:16 PM
Whast kind of performance/mileage you get depends on the ethanol blend. There are reliable test data on line that prove there is a significant (10-15%) decrease in mileage using E85. On the other end of the ethanol spectrum is the more common E10 blend. With E10 it's more of a trade off with a slight reduction in mileage but also a reduction in emissions.

Either way, ethanol ain't the answer.

Old 05-02-11, 03:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by BiggD View Post
Here in Tennessee the non ethanol seems to be cheaper than the plus ethanol,
What part of tenn? here in north east tenn you pay a premium for pure gas - 10-15 cents more per gallon...... and there is only a handful of stations that have pure gas, most are the 10% ethanol blend.

btw - welcome to the forums BiggD!

Old 05-03-11, 12:40 PM
Mid-Tennessee.
The non-ethanol seems to be 15 to 20 cents cheaper than the ethanol version. There are a few places that sell the non-ethanol gas, but they are not on every corner, you must look for them. Some are the Co-ops that sell the non.

Ty marksr for the welcome, I was surfing and ran into this site, I knew right away I had to join.

Old 05-03-11, 02:57 PM
E10 Gasoline has reached $4.21 a gallon here in CT. I'm up to around $90 a month just to mow my lawn.

The legislature has proposed an additional 3 cents a gallon tax to try to make up for their overspending.

Old 05-27-11, 09:30 PM
How big is you lawn. I have a acre, 300 ft 2 lane driveway, and a 22 hp riding, with a snow blower, and I could most likely gfet a few years at that price.

Old 06-05-11, 10:51 PM
Really, the problem with ethanol is that we're using an expensive material (corn) to make it. And, as long as that's the case, the only thing that will keep ethanol available at the gas pumps is government legislation. Were it not for governments madating ethanol inclusion in gasolines, it would be history.

There are two kinds of glucose (sugar) molecules. If you stack one kind up like bricks, you get starch, which is what you find in corn, rice, potatos and all cereal grains like wheat, barley, rye, etc.. If you stack the other kind up like bricks, you get cellulose, which is what cotton and plant fiber (like wood) is mostly made of. The problem is that we're making ethanol out of starch, which could be used for food, even for animal feed. And, as long as we're doing that, then ethanol is gonna be expensive cuz that same corn (or starch) could be used to make food or even animal feed, all of which have value..

Once we start learning how to break cellulose down into it's constituent sugar molecules, and ferment those to make "cellulostic" ethanol, the price of ethanol will come down considerably. That's because we'll be using waste materials (such as the corn staulks and leaves) as the feedstock to make that ethanol. That's when the US will finally no longer need Saudi oil to sustain it's economy. At ethanol selling for 32 cents a gallon, who's gonna buy gasoline at $4.45 per gallon?

The time will come when we'll figure out how to break cellulose down into it's constituent sugar molecules, and on that day the world will change forever. We'll be using garbage to fuel our cars. The leaves you rake up in the fall, the grass clippings you collect in your bagging lawn mower, and even the sawdust, old books, scrap furniture and old cotton clothing will all become valuable as feedstock for making cellulostic ethanol.

Last edited by Nestor; 06-05-11 at 11:11 PM.

Search this Thread