Want a dog?

Old 05-01-11, 04:52 PM
Want a dog?

One of the local TV news stations did a piece on overcrowded kennels last week. Things have gotten so bad that one of the SPCA kennels was offering to waive their usual $450 "adoption" fee. That's $450 for a mutt that nobody wanted. At those prices, is it any wonder that there aren't a lot of folks standing in line for a dog?

To make matters worse, all but one of the "orphan' dogs that were shown were pit bulls. Pay $450 and take the risk that your adopted mutt is going to eat the face off your neighbors kid.

Incidentally, a "vintage" (old to the rest of us) cat is going for $60 and a kitten for $150.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-11, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator
Most of the shelter's I know, only charge $60. I never heard of them charging $450. That news station must have got that wrong. Even rescue dogs don't normally run that high.
AND maybe if they could put an end to that horrible dog fighting, there wouldn't be that many pit bulls around that need to be adopted.

Old 05-01-11, 10:27 PM
But of course there is nothing wrong with Pit Bulls, its the owners that are the problem! Dont see too many ****zu's killing people because they were trained poorly. Pit bulls are loaded guns with the safety on. Great dogs but if the safety comes off, they will kill. Why does anyone need a dog that can and will kill or maim when there are so many other choices? Protection I guess.

Last edited by mjd2k; 05-01-11 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-02-11, 02:29 AM
I only paid $50 for my dog from the shelter 10 years ago. It has probably gone up now but not $450.

I must disagree with your statement "for a mutt nobody wanted" though. A lot of shelter dogs are there because the owner died, owner too old to care for it or maybe someone moved where pets weren't allowed. Lots of different circumstances to consider.

Old 05-02-11, 05:19 AM
Here's a link to a Humane society site. Their dogs are only $300.

Old 05-02-11, 05:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
We used to raise Shetland Sheep dogs. What a great dog! When ours reached EOL, we made a decision not to continue, but to go to the shelter and see if we could find one with as good a temperment. Pedigree was not an issue at this point. We got a Shepherd mix who had been raised in a 3'x3' cage for almost 3 years. He had never negotiated steps!! He had never "run". After 3 years on our fenced farm, he has arrived at "heaven on earth". What a great dog!
I advocate going to the shelter. You won't know what you are missing.
One more ramble......one Christmas we did Christmas dinner on wheels for shut ins, etc. We deboned about 50 hams and were throwing the bones in the trash. I said, whoa, I gotta use for these. We cleaned them up, bagged them and asked the shelter if they wanted them. My wife got to give each dog their Christmas present that year one at a time.

Old 05-02-11, 08:14 AM
I volunteer at our local small town humane society/animal shelter. We charge $125 for dog adoptions and sometimes lower the fee to $80 if the dog has been there for awhile. We are a no-kill shelter. All our dogs have been tested or treated for heartworm and are spayed/neutered. I agree that pit bulls or mixed breeds with some pit in them are harder to adopt. We have more than a few "sketchy" prospective adopters looking for purebred pit bulls that become downright angry with us when we tell them we require all animals to be spayed/neutered before we will let them out for adoption. We know they're looking for un-neutered/aggressive pits for guard dog duty, most likely for a local meth lab.

Old 05-24-11, 01:22 PM
We just adopted a Border Collie/mix from our local shelter a few months ago. She was a surrender by an older lady. The adoption fee was $100. She has turned out to be a great dog. She must have had some obedience training early in life (they said she was about 5 years old) because she listens really well to us. She stays by us when we're outside with her.

I guess my point is that there are plenty of good dogs, and cats, in shelters. It can be hard to tell though, and sometimes the shelter has next to no info about the animal. We were lucky I guess, but we never even considered not looking at the shelters.

I do agree though that $450 is an awful lot to have to pay to adopt a pet. That is a big negative for most people.

Old 05-24-11, 02:35 PM
I already have a dog.

She growls like a dog, barks like a dog, licks people like a dog, clacks her toenails on hard floors like a dog and chases raccoons off the porch like a dog.

Oh, yeah, she also stinks like a dog and won't let me give her a bath.

Old 05-24-11, 06:19 PM
LOL! She looks pretty scary.

Old 05-26-11, 06:09 AM
I know there was some disbelief when I posted about $450 dog adoption fees. I was unable to locate the original article but here is another SPCA shelter in my area. They charge $395 for a dog and $195 for a kitten.

Big business taking advantage of animal lovers?

Old 05-26-11, 06:25 AM
I hate when people say pit bulls are mean. My wife and I foster cats and dogs and fostered a pit bull at one time. Pit bulls are only mean becuase they are trained to do that. This pit bull we had was submissive and thought he was a lap dog. When i took him out people would always step back because they were scared. But on the other hand anyone that looked at him he would come up to you with no issues and try to give many kisses.

Old 05-26-11, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator
Well, we got a kitten about 3 months ago and she had some things already done but hadn't been spayed. That was included in the $65 fee...but we still had to pay for some of the drugs and supplies in the procedure...and all of her other shots. So... total we'll wind up paying almost $200. Since that's included with your SPCA Wayne...I'd call it a wash. Of course...many people adopt and then never get anything done. Those are the ones that get pets out of the classifieds and when they start howling or spraying kick them out. Then the cycle repeats.

I'm surprised that a cat is only $95...guess they have more of them, though everything I read says if you want to know that the personality of the cat will fit your life, you should get an adult...not a kitten.

Old 05-26-11, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by Beachboy View Post
I volunteer at our local small town humane society/animal shelter. We charge $125 for dog adoptions and sometimes lower the fee to $80 if the dog has been there for awhile. We are a no-kill shelter. All our dogs have been tested or treated for heartworm and are spayed/neutered. I agree that pit bulls or mixed breeds with some pit in them are harder to adopt. We have more than a few "sketchy" prospective adopters looking for purebred pit bulls that become downright angry with us when we tell them we require all animals to be spayed/neutered before we will let them out for adoption. We know they're looking for un-neutered/aggressive pits for guard dog duty, most likely for a local meth lab.
My wife does the same thing. The website is called Smart Petz Rescue Home Page

It is a no kill shelter as well. I think their cost for adoptions are the same as yours. They also fix all animals and make sure they have a clean bill of health before the are adopted.

Old 05-26-11, 09:48 AM
When I adopted Douglas, eight years ago, the cost was $75 for kittens and $50 for adults. He was neutered in the bargain.

Shelters have fairly high overhead to keep them open. I suspect the adoption fees don't come close to covering all expenses.

Old 05-26-11, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by Furd View Post
When I adopted Douglas, eight years ago, the cost was $75 for kittens and $50 for adults. He was neutered in the bargain.

Shelters have fairly high overhead to keep them open. I suspect the adoption fees don't come close to covering all expenses.

Yea they dont come even remotely close. The only way the come close is if the dog has no health issues and just has to be fixed. Especially if animals have to get heart worm treatment that is one expensive treatment. It is also done in 2 parts usually.

Old 05-26-11, 12:50 PM
That is a really high price. I got my dog at a really great shelter, and she was $60. She was 10 months old, so it's not like she was old or anything. Most shelters spay and neuter animals, and the $60-100 fee goes toward that. I'm not sure why they'd charge $450. Maybe it was a typo?