Hair cutting

Old 05-10-11, 11:12 AM
Hair cutting

I have been cutting my own hair since i couldn't find a barber that would cut my hair as i wanted it.

Nothing,fancy just a regular man's haircut.

Several years ago i came across one of those non-electric plastic 2 1/2"-3 " plastic combs that took regular double edged razor blades.

Anybody out there know where to find one?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-11, 01:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Google
razor blade hair comb / trimmer

Lots of sites.

Old 05-10-11, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
I have seen a shop in malls called "As Seen on TV" that had this kind of stuff.

There is one from the 70's that use to be advertised and I see it is back.
Just search the term "Flowbee" ..........pretty scary!
It's something like a vacuum cleaner operated spinning disk with razor blades for cutting hair.

My daugher is a hairdresser and I have been looking for one at yard sales as a gag gift.

Old 05-10-11, 05:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I am old enough that my haircut isn't a babe magnet. I use a #2 guard on my hair cutting shears and go over all my head. Same thickness (if that is what you call it) all over. No wind damage. No baseball cap indentations, dries in 3 seconds after getting out of the shower. I get wifey to trim the neck line when she is in the mood to do so. Otherwise steer clear and run ragged.

Old 05-11-11, 07:45 AM
Been doing my own since barber said "for what I'm doing, you could do this yourself" about 10 years ago.

I'm quite stylish (yah right!) so I use a #3 on the sides, then switch to a #4 for the top and taper in the top to the sides. I have this flying nun thing going on with the corners. Thats why I gave up on the barbers, they could not figure out how to deal with a weird hair growth pattern.

Old 05-11-11, 10:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I haven't been to a barber shop in over 15 yrs. Generally my wife cuts my hair [and does a good job] but occasionally I'll cut it if she's too busy...... but if I don't do a good job she'll notice and fuss at me for not getting her to do it. Our grandson won't let nana cut his hair because I'm bald on top - I guess he thinks that's from her cutting my hair

Old 05-11-11, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
I am old enough that my haircut isn't a babe magnet. I use a #2 guard on my hair cutting shears and go over all my head. Same thickness (if that is what you call it) all over. No wind damage. No baseball cap indentations, dries in 3 seconds after getting out of the shower. I get wifey to trim the neck line when she is in the mood to do so. Otherwise steer clear and run ragged.
I've been using a #2 all over since I was 17. I find it to be a very contagious haircut. I've inspired a few people to go this route.

Old 05-11-11, 05:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
With naturally straight hair that you could comb every 10 minutes and it would fall back down, I figured what is the use of long head hair?? Sort of like wearing a necktie. Quit wearing them a loooooong time ago. Only for funerals of close friends and family.

Old 05-11-11, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator
To get back to the original question....
Have you checked at a barber or beauty supply? Or (I know this is weird) a pet grooming place? I know exactly what you're talking about...seems we used them with our horses when my family showed them.

Back to the off topic...jeez....you guys...I'm keeping whatever I have for as long as possible. Shoulda seen my ponytail after I'd been retired and non caring about my looks. Told my wife I'd get a haircut when we finally settled down after we sold our place in VA. Took almost 18 months...

Now I'm almost back to Navy standards...lol.

Old 05-12-11, 06:23 AM
I went the same way. After 20+ years of a haircut every week I went almost a year without one. I finally decided long hair wasn't for me.

Old 05-12-11, 08:49 AM
Sorry to digress but long hair stories makes me think about when I worked at Mcdonalds in 1972 (grade 10), girls were not allowed to work there (at least here in Canada)!!! That was because they had long hair and would have needed hair nets. Us guys needed military cuts. Then in grade 12, girls could work there! Our crew parties were so much more fun then!

Old 05-12-11, 10:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Digressing further, I get my "Friar's Fringe" professionally trimmed about once a month.
Why waste the money? Because I get a ton of local info from my barber who cuts the hair of many of the local muckety mucks.

Old 05-15-11, 10:36 AM
i also cut my own hair. i use sheers and do it outside = no cleanup

Old 05-19-11, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the inputs.

I've been searching the Web since my post and all i found was a somewhat "professional" home hair cutting kit. The ones with all the comb attachments,scissors,etc.

My problem is that I'm not flexible,or comfortable with these kits as i want to be able to cut my own hair.

The best i've been able to come up with is a plastic comb thing with replaceable razor blades in them.
Gee,talk about the dark ages,but works fine if i can find one online,or a store.

Thanks for all the posts