My Feelings Whilst Pumping Gas

Old 05-14-11, 10:55 PM
My Feelings Whilst Pumping Gas

A guy on another forum said gas in Canada is about $6.35 a gallon.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-11, 03:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can relate to that although I thought I was a smaller prey and the oil companies a bigger predator

I'm almost amazed that we can keep on paying the rising prices..... not that we have much choice

Old 05-15-11, 04:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I live in the country.....shouldn't mention it, but doors are locked seldom, keys to my truck usually stay in the overhead, but for some reason I bought a locking fuel cap for my diesel It was a weaker moment at Wally World, I guess. The problem I have, diesel is (or was) a waste product. Now it is like champagne. Takes less time and effort to refine it, so where's the actual cost? Why does diesel cost more than gas?
Curious, too, why prices rocket up and parachute down. Gumment has to have a hand in it for sure!

Old 05-15-11, 05:40 AM
Group Moderator
What I really hate are the pumps that stop pumping at $100. What's even worse is when I hit the $100 limit and still have not filled the tank and have to go through the whole process of paying and starting a new transaction to finish filling the tank. I'm mad at the high price of fuel and mad that the gas stations that still have the same price limit from 10 years ago.

We've recently had trouble with gas being stolen from cars parked outside the fence at the airport. A quiet small airport in the country is just too easy a target I suppose. Gone are the days of leaving a car outside in the parking lot for overnight trips. Now we have to get them through the gate and lock them in the hangar.

Old 05-15-11, 05:51 AM
The $6.35 in Canada is probably for an imperial gallon. Still pricey though.

Old 05-15-11, 06:13 AM
There are 3.79 litres in an American gallon. On Friday gas hit an all time high of 1.40/litre.
Therefore 1.40 x 3.79 =$5.306 /gallon

How much is it there?

Old 05-15-11, 06:15 AM
Group Moderator
And I can remember when gas went to $1 a gallon and since $0.99 was the highest setting on the pump they had to set the pump to measure half gallons. Those were the days. Glad I'm not doing hot shot delivery anymore. Those two 20 gal tanks on my old Dodge pickup I had to fill every morning back then would have killed me.

Old 05-15-11, 06:31 AM
I don't know, here's what he wrote. It says he is from NS....Nova Scotia?

We're paying $1.40/L up here... so probably about $6.35/gallon (4.54L to gallon)..

My brother said he thought diesels get much better mileage compared to a gas engine. Not sure, I've never had a diesel.

What burns me is always hearing it is going up because this might happen or that might happen. Yeah, well, the earth might stop spinning and we'd all fall off.

Old 05-15-11, 06:40 AM
Actually did'nt the papers report the world is supposed to end on May 21? Dang I just paid my bills!

There is 4.54 litres per Imperial gallon not American

What I meant was how much is gas in the state where you live

Old 05-15-11, 06:42 AM
Therefore 1.40 x 3.79 =$5.306 /gallon
That's still a lot, we're paying $3.99.9 here which comes to $128 to fill my truck.

Wow, at 5.306 it would be $170. Ouch.

Old 05-15-11, 06:53 AM
What kills me is that same truck of yours would cost $151.08 to fill up here. Even more frustrating is the fact the largest importer of oil to the States is Canada. Go figure why we pay more for our own product

Old 05-15-11, 09:08 AM
How much of the price you pay is sucked up by the government?
According to Canadian Automobile Association it's 30-40%. In the US it averages (fed and state) around $0.50 per gallon for gas and $0.65 per gallon for diesel.

I think the demand for diesel has really increased over the last 30-40 years as more and more freight is hauled by trucks and more diesel engines are sold to consumers. Production costs have less to do with selling price than demand. More demand = higher prices.

Old 05-15-11, 11:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Dane, at least your stations go to $100. Many of ours only go to $75. I complain, but they just pop their bubble gum, wipe the back of their hand on their nose ring and shrug their shoulders, like I didn't exist. Diesel is $4.09 - 4.15 here, so a fill up at 28 or so gallons runs $115 +

Old 05-15-11, 12:44 PM
Much of the high prices we see are due to weakening of the U.S. dollar over the past few years.

As an example, I remember the Euro being worth $0.85 and now it is about $1.40. Still we have a good deal on gas in the U.S. At one time a few years ago, the European fuel was about 60% more than the U.S., but now it is about 30% more.

The recent limitations on drilling indicate a lower capacity and the speculators that buy for the furure recognized this and pay more since gas could have a decreased future supply.

Also, the increased demand for fuel in China (1.4 billion population) and India (1.1 billion) have increased the global oil demand. China is the worlds largest car producer (few are exported), and worlds largest auto market and growing quickly as more roads are being built and the people have more money. India is almost the same size and has relied on a great rail system for years (best schedule d operation in the world without using computers even though they are a thigh tech country). A huge Indian company (TATA) bought Jaguar and Rover from Ford for cash and they just brought out a compact 4 door sedan (Nano) selling for $2500 ($2800 with AC), but they refuse to sell it outside India and SE Asia. It is built in a couple of totally automated computer controlled plants. This will just increase their demand as the new roads replace the limited capacity railroads that often run at 5-10 munute intervals.

Oil is an international commodity and the U.S. is just one of the players that have to join in the fight since most U.S. oli retailers are now internationally owned by other companies and not countries.

It is a big complex problem and electricity is not really the solution.

Dick

Old 05-15-11, 03:12 PM
Well....what did we hear for years and years and years? Supply and demand, right? Seems odd to me that Saudi Arabia said a short time back they were going to cut production because there was too much supply yet gas goes up and up. Doesn't make sense to me.

Going from memory here, which isn't good, I'll look it up after golf:

Diane Sawyer did a piece when the big 5 I think it was reported 39 BILLION first quarter profits. She said that comes out to something like 235 MILLION IN PROFIT A DAY for three months!! Must be nice.

Old 05-15-11, 03:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, I know big oil likes to claim they don't make any more profit per gallon today than they did 20-30 yrs ago..... but I always thought business's discounted their product when the volume increased. That way the business and consumer both profit but I guess big oil figures if they got you by the ba**s they can squeeze as hard as they want

Old 05-15-11, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator
Baldwin...not that I'm defending Big Oil...but check those numbers...they don't compute. Works out to closer to $433M a day per my calc...though my eyes are burning trying to count zeros...could be $43M

Old 05-15-11, 05:58 PM
I couldn't find the broadcast I had watched but did find this one although this is mostly about the tax cut which I don't care about right now.

VIDEO: The Debate Over Oil Company Profits - ABC News

The correct numbers are 34.2 billion which amounts to 379 million per day in profit for the Big 5.

Geezz.....that's obscene. I wish I could start a company and make that profit in a year. No doubt about it, we're getting hosed. And why is that? Because they can, no competition.

Old 05-15-11, 06:43 PM
Since they are all international companies, they can charge overhead, interest, etc., to other internal companies/divisions to shift the profits to companies where the taxes on profits are lower (this is for "gray area" costs and expenses). When they have losses, the charges may be distributed elsewhere, but the result to company is not much different.

It is all standard accounting priciples as long as the "gray area" is reasonable.

Dick

Old 05-17-11, 07:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The last time gas cost this much oil was around $150 per barrel, now it is less than $120 per barrel and the price at the pump is the same. This has nothing to do with supply and demand. This is the speculators driving the market.

Price goes up when they sell less because the overhead now needs to be applied to fewer gallons. Demand goes up and so do prices. Prices go up because they need to produce heating oil for winter. Prices go up for the summer driving season with the cleaner burning formula and increased demand.

Old 05-18-11, 10:52 AM
I am sure some of you feel as I do--Oil Companies, Government, and Auto Manufacturers are all in it together.
It is no wonder to me as to why hybrid and electrical powered vehicles are not being built, on a large scale. Just think about all the TAX MONEY that would be lost!!!!
We have to realize when we buy gas, how much of this consists of Taxes
But we can be assured that our government will find a way to tax these new vehicles

Old 05-18-11, 12:36 PM
I think there is a soft conspiracy against "greener" energy such as hybrids etc.. Its not like there is a formal conspiracy, but just an understanding that killing the combustion engine could be devastating. No govt wants to take that road.

There is a whole world built around the economy and infrastructure of buidling, repairing, supplying combustion engines. If that was taken away, I don't think the void created would be filled by the new energy sources industry.

If I went to Obama and said, "hey, I have an invention that would replace all combustion engines within two years but I need a billion dollars to make it happen", I don't think I would get the money no matter what it would do for the envioronment. ON the private side, most of the companies that could manage introducing and creating a new technology are also vested in the oil world. So they won;t be jumping all replacing combustion either.

Having said that, there was an entire communication world built around copper wire. Copper is VERY VERY slowly being squeezed out as wireless is getting more advanced.
Thats probably the direction the combustion engine industry will migrate. VERY VERY slowly.

Old 05-18-11, 08:34 PM
I've no idea why but diesel dropped about 15 cents to $4.09 while gas stayed the same at $3.99.9

Search this Thread