Unwanted Calls!!!

Old 05-19-11, 08:24 AM
Unwanted Calls!!!

I have been on DNC list for years and keep it up to date and I have an answer machine.
This month I have received 42 calls of which 26 were unwanted! I simply don't answer and then do a Google search for the number. I then file a complaint with DNC.
Over a period of three months I have filed three complaint for the same number!!
What has really got me Pi***d is that yesterday, I received a call that was LOCAL and came with the same message that has been recorded numerous times, with the option of pressing "1" to stop calls or "3" to speak to a rep. For the first time I pressed "3" and after 10 rings some S*B answered wanting to lower my interest rate
After I told him I had never paid a dime of interest he hung up.
There must be a reason I am receiving more the normal amount of calls but I don't know how to stop them.
I want to just drop the land line and use my cell but that will create other problems.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-11, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator
If you have any sort of account, with any company, they are allowed to call you.
i.e. if you have a credit card with Capital One, they can call, if you have a mortgage with Citibank, they can call, if you have a bank account with Wells Fargo, they can call, etc., etc., and I notice, once they start soliciting, it seems to go on for a few days and even a week or two until they stop again. However, eventually it starts again.
Some of the newer phones have an option to block a number. I bought one and that's what I've been doing.
I guess there's really no way to permanently stop them in these hi-tech times.

Old 05-19-11, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by Shadeladie View Post
If you have any sort of account, with any company, they are allowed to call you.
i.e. if you have a credit card with Capital One, they can call, if you have a mortgage with Citibank, they can call, if you have a bank account with Wells Fargo, they can call, etc., etc., and I notice, once they start soliciting, it seems to go on for a few days and even a week or two until they stop again. However, eventually it starts again.
Some of the newer phones have an option to block a number. I bought one and that's what I've been doing.
I guess there's really no one to permanently stop them in these hi-tech times.
I have already maxed out on call blocking. Just a SHAME that they are smarter then the DNC or the Phone Company.

Old 05-19-11, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator
Maybe you can delete some of the older numbers. I find they keep changing numbers every now and then. Probably because of the blocking feature.
Guess they have lots of money to spend to keep on top of things and the phone companies are also making money on these calls.

Old 05-19-11, 11:13 AM
I think the greatest problem is that the Phone Company makes money on these calls

Old 05-19-11, 10:40 PM
A few years ago, I was having similar problems. I bought a device called Telezapper. What it did is simulate a signal (a brief tone burst) that the phone companies transmit when a disconnected number is dialed. This signal is for the robo-dialers and causes them to hang up immediately before the ringer on your phone is activated. It doesn't affect calls from non-automated systems.

Ultimately, so the marketing blurb in the manual stated, the "Disconnected status" of your number is propagated throughout the robo-dialer network, and you are then left with having to deal with only human dialed numbers. It seemed to perform as they stated. I found mine on eBay for less than half the cost of a new one. As I remember, I spent about $30.

Good luck.

Old 05-20-11, 05:57 AM
Thanks --that sounds like what I need!!
Originally Posted by tldoug View Post
A few years ago, I was having similar problems. I bought a device called Telezapper. What it did is simulate a signal (a brief tone burst) that the phone companies transmit when a disconnected number is dialed. This signal is for the robo-dialers and causes them to hang up immediately before the ringer on your phone is activated. It doesn't affect calls from non-automated systems.

Ultimately, so the marketing blurb in the manual stated, the "Disconnected status" of your number is propagated throughout the robo-dialer network, and you are then left with having to deal with only human dialed numbers. It seemed to perform as they stated. I found mine on eBay for less than half the cost of a new one. As I remember, I spent about $30.

Good luck.

Search this Thread