graduation

Old 05-20-11, 11:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
graduation

How many times do little kids graduate now days?
I just went to our 11yr old grandson's 3rd graduation - he graduated from preschool, kindergarten and now the 5th grade. When he graduated from kindergarten I told him I never did and he thought I was dumber than dirt heck, kindergarten was optional back in the 50's. He gets to go to middle school next year, wonder what he'd think if I tell him I've never been - we only had grade school and high school

They had the ceremony in the school cafeteria - it doubles as their auditorium. All the folding chairs were for the children and the adults got to sit at the low tables with seats attached.... I don't think my back could have stood a longer ceremony

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-11, 11:41 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
we only had grade school and high school (
And one room at that, right?

I agree, pretty much overdone although some places at least refrain from calling them "graduations" opting instead for "moving up" or the like. Only graduation ceremony I ever had was high school, not counting Parris Island.

Old 05-20-11, 11:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, high school was my only graduation. He got a bigger diploma than I remember mine being, complete with a pic of him in a cap and gown. Officially it was a 5th grade graduation ceremony complete with about a dozen or so special awards

Grade school was a long time ago for me but all I remember was your final report card stating whether you passed or failed. I think it was the same way for my kids.

They closed that 1 room school house when they figured out we couldn't walk 10 miles up hill both ways in a foot of snow to get to school

Old 05-21-11, 06:04 AM
I too missed out on kindergarten graduation. I graduated from High School, boot camp, and received my college degree (PACE) in the mail.

Old 05-21-11, 08:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Kindergarten in the 50's, naw. Went to the first grade at 5 and spent most of the next 12 years in the same building complex, until one by one they were condemned and torn down.

Old 05-21-11, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator
Man...I don't remember if I even went to kindergarten...probably...but I sure don't remember it. Mine starts at 2nd grade when I had to sit beside Kenny the paste eater, glue drinker, and crayon gnawer.

K-6 one building 1/2 mile down the road...just kept switching floors and ends of the building. 7-8 was in a building bout 15 miles away, then 9-12 was at the HS about 5 miles from the house we moved to when I was 12.

Old 05-21-11, 10:13 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
...Kenny the paste eater, glue drinker, and crayon gnawer.
Sounds like Navy material.....

Old 05-21-11, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
Or a Force Recon snake eater type...lol.

Old 05-21-11, 11:54 AM
I went to kindergarten but it was only a half-day class. I really would have preferred the afternoon session but my mother made me go in the morning. I've never been a morning person. Even when I worked day shift I would tell people that if they had a question about something to not bother me until after ten AM.

Anyway, my kindergarten teach was Mrs. Adams and she had a wart alongside her nose. She was also as old as dirt. We never had any kind of graduation ceremony from kindergarten but we did have a party at the end of our sixth grade year where a few kids from the junior high school came and tried to convince us that it was going to be a big party. One, or maybe two, girls did a song and dance to a record but no one knew how to play a record (remember those?) on the PA system. So I saved the day. Afterward the principal, Mr. Swedine (we called him Mr. Sardine) patted me on the back and said, "Pretty good job!" I'm pretty sure it was the only time he ever spoke to me in the seven years I attended his school. Maybe that was a good thing?

Junior high school was grades 7 through 9 and the first year the principal was Mr. Savitch. He was a younger man and pretty darn cool. I guess he preferred to teach than to be an administrator because the next year we got Mr.Daniels who was an old fart. The vice-principal was Mr. Overby and he was one person in the school you NEVER wanted to know. Contrary to what those stooges tried to tell us at the sixth grade party, junior high was no picnic. Most of us referred to the school as Hamilton State Prison. I don't think anyone was ever sad to leave that place.

High school was cool, or as cool as any school could be. Mr.Davis was the principal and while he was old he was young at heart and really enjoyed his job and his school. The vice-principal was Mr. Wuflestad and we called him "the waffle" behind his back. He was also cool. I think we were the only high school in Seattle at the time that had an "open campus" which meant that we were pretty much free to come and go during the school day. We also had severe overcrowding my first year with a total student body of about 2300 students; you needed every bit of the five minutes between classes to navigate the halls. They opened at least one new high school between sophomore and junior year but we still had around 1800 students my senior year and my graduating class had something like 450.