Things that tick me off.

Old 05-31-11, 10:28 AM

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-11, 10:47 AM
Oh, I MUST send those to my 71 year-old friend.

Old 05-31-11, 01:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
ROFLACGU

need more characters

Old 06-02-11, 10:34 AM
I visit about six different forums daily. It is unbelievable of the typographical errors I encounter! The small stuff doesn't bother me as much as NO PUNCTUATION used and all sentences run together. I just pass over these replies!
I think a lot of people are in too big of a hurry to notice, or care!

Old 06-02-11, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator
I was not going to reply to this post on the, lets be serious side of the matter, but why not.

Hey I could barely spell, and am never sure if the word looks correct. ( Thank god for spell check.) I cant write worth a darn. My math stinks also. I guess thats why I became a plumber. I could turn wrenches pretty good, and think I have a good grasp on mechanical things. I am more of a problem finder, not a problem solver.

Now all you guys might be ticked off about grammer, but a example of myself and my education is that I was working and out of school at 16 to support my family. My joke is when people ask where I got my hand writing from, I tell the Hoboken High School. (NJ) I only mention Hoboken because most people know the city. ( Bad area )

Well my real school probably was worse. Paterson H.S. Remeber the movie where Joe Clark was the principal?

Lean on Me (1989) - IMDb

My parents went there but it was different from the 50's, 60's when they graduated to when I got out in 1983. My parents had penmanship, and classes that actually taught. They write perfect. They had to draw circles all day, and stuff like that. We were lucky they gave use pencils.

So it may tick you off but most do thier best with the education they recieve. Hey, Walt Disney, Einstein, Bell, Edison, Winston Churchill, and many more were all dyslexic. Most quit school but became some of the smartest people in history.

What point am I trying to make??? I have no clue. I forgot already...LOL

I probably am the king of run-on sentences......

Mike NJ

Old 06-02-11, 04:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
"My parents had penmanship, and classes that actually taught. They write perfect. They had to draw circles all day, and stuff like that"

I remember that I missed a lot of recess is the 3rd [?] grade, they made me stay in the class room and practice my penmanship
Your parents must have been a lot smarter than me because with all that practice, I still don't have very legible cursive writing. You should have seen the notes I wrote myself driving between jobs - sometimes even I couldn't read them

Old 06-04-11, 09:41 AM
Just noticed my empty bag of Kingsford was 18# and the new one is 16.6# Hmmm....didn't notice the price difference, probably the same.

I'd suppose next a gallon of milk will be 3.5 quarts. When my can of PBR goes to 10 ounces I'll revolt!

Old 06-04-11, 09:52 AM
Out of curiousity----If my memory serves me, I think that, years ago, when a canned coke was 10 cents, a can of beer was 50 cents. I do not drink beer but what does it cost per can as opposed to 75 cents to $1.00 for a caned drink?
Originally Posted by Baldwin View Post
Just noticed my empty bag of Kingsford was 18# and the new one is 16.6# Hmmm....didn't notice the price difference, probably the same.

I'd suppose next a gallon of milk will be 3.5 quarts. When my can of PBR goes to 10 ounces I'll revolt!

Old 06-04-11, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
Oh, as far as not being able to spell, I also walked to school, with no shoes in 10 ft of snow.... Oh... up hill both ways...LOL.

I tell my kids that. And that is what my father told us when we were kids, but he really did, I guess.

But I really did walk to scholl 1 mile each way. There was no bus service. The kids are spoiled today.

Mike NJ

Last edited by lawrosa; 06-04-11 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-04-11, 10:15 AM
No---today they shut the school down with a light dusting of snow or expected bad weather. In my small town there are three pages of the phone book dedicated to Lawyers!! Do you guess that's why schools don't take any chances???
Originally Posted by lawrosa View Post
Oh, as far as not being able to spell, I also walked to school, with no shoes in 10 ft of snow.... Oh... up hill both ways...LOL.

I tell my kids that. And that is what my father told us when we were kids, but he really did I guess.

But I really did walk to scholl 1 mile each way. There was no bus service. The kids are spoiled today.

Mike NJ

Old 06-04-11, 10:15 AM
My high school was at least a mile and a half from home and no school bus service. It was steeply uphill all the way but only slightly downhill on the way home.

Old 06-04-11, 10:39 AM
Up here on Da Range, PBR comes out to 78 a can. Down south, Mankato, you can get it for 68 a can. Over at Holiday a 12 pack of Mountain Dew is $5 which comes out to 42 a can.

I went to a small country school (Arnold) outside Duluth and they wouldn't even consider closing school until it hit -25 F and I did walk almost a mile. I'm sure it is a little different today.

Old 06-04-11, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator
Giles...it all depends on whether you buy in bulk or by the can. Here a soda is $.75-1 at a bar/restaurant....a bottle of beer (no cans for some reason) is from $3-4. We have a high tax on alcohol and other vices.

From a grocery (in bulk)...beer would run about $.60 per can (on sale)...soda is about $.34 or so.

Don't ask me how much smokes cost! (yeah...thats another of my bad habits)

Hey...at least I gave up the running around with loose women!

Old 06-04-11, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
Hey...at least I gave up the running around with loose women!
Yeah..That can get expensive....LOL

Mike NJ

Old 06-05-11, 12:16 AM
I was the last one in our class to graduate from pencil to the fountain pen. !!!! I cannot remember the grad criteria but it had to do with neat writing.

There might have been 2 days in my school life when the school was closed due to weather. The only time I actually remember it happening, we went to school anyway to use the tobaggan hill. I always had a couple of paper routes so it would not have looked good for me to miss school and then do my route. Funny, the mailmen often did not show up but we did our paper routes.

Technolgy is the root cause of poor writing. Actually I think of it more as an evolution. I am ok with less than perfect writing in texts, blogs and forums. But if you are writing a business email, at least use spell and grammer check.

Old 06-05-11, 07:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Giles (post 48), I remember when Cokes were a nickel. Then inflation hit and they went to 6 cents. You had to put your penny in first, then the nickel or it wouldn't work. Then crank the big drum until your Coke appeared in the window. And, of course, there were the gas pumps that only registered in "cents". 99.9 cents per gallon would have been apocalyptic back in those days. Gas was usually 25 cents, unless you had a "GAS WAR", when the stations fought each other for business. Too bad it is all controlled by big oil companies, now.
OK, I'll quit right after this one. Went to the grocery store the other day to get my favorite Jimmy Dean Low fat roll sausage. Not there. No space for it, even. I asked the manager. He said it was corporate. I wrote corporate. They said Sara Lee, who owns JD boosted their retail packaging from $2.98 per roll to $4.49 per roll. No other brand did that, so the store decided to deep six the brand. Good for them!! Of course after a letter to Sara Lee, their answer was the stores set the prices. Who is lying to whom, here???? Ultimately the consumer gets done over.

Old 06-05-11, 09:43 AM
Easy out for Sarah Lee. Of course the store sets the prices but they base their selling price upon their purchase price. So it was both of them and no one is lying.

Old 06-05-11, 10:56 AM
I don't think the schools were ever closed on account of weather in my day. Now it seems that that just the mention of snow in the forecast shuts them down. Kids today are wusses.

Old 06-05-11, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator
Most times its not that the weather is really that bad....but so many areas have reduced (or no) plowing equipment and supplies, that the lawyers won't let the districts operate for liability reasons.

Back in VA almost all the main roads were handled by VDOT trucks...and they did the interstates and such first. The cities had very limited equipment and even less in the way of salt or sand. They just waited til the sun came back out in a day or 2. That didn't help in the neighborhoods that had lots of trees..the ice/snow just never melted off...so they never sent the buses out til it was 90% gone. When my new wife and I moved back to VA...2 days after getting my stepson registered and we both had to start our Navy jobs...we got hit with 10" of snow and ice....I had to take 5 days off work to watch our kid cause my work was a bit more lax than hers.

Here in AZ we only get maybe 2 times a year where it really snows...but it's kind of the same thing....no equipment. So when it melts initially then freezes with 3" of snow on top....no buses. Plus the fact we have elevations from 3100 to 7000 that the buses have to travel...no way they'll send them out. They only allow something like 4 closure days in the school year here..so it gets expensive if they have to extend the year.

Maybe if they cut back on the 2 week holiday break and a 1 week spring break, it wouldn't be such an issue.

Old 06-05-11, 06:17 PM
Went to the grocery store the other day to get my favorite Jimmy Dean Low fat roll sausage. Not there.
Scared me there, I love Jimmy Dean Hot. Good stuff. Went to the store today and it was $4.77 for a pound. Not sure but it seems to me it used to be around $3.80.

I've never seen low fat up here, I guess we need fat to keep warm.

How's that new knee coming along?

Old 06-06-11, 03:32 AM
Hey, knee is doing fine, thanks. Ready for the other one in July. So it isn't retail bumping the price so much as it is the cost to the retailer that forces them to up the price to make a profit. It all falls back on Sara Lee. I like the lo fat because you can fry up 4 pieces and wipe the skillet with a paper towel. No swimming in grease

Old 06-06-11, 06:54 AM
Group Moderator
I used to live in WA and an inch of snow there would close down the state - it was so uncommon, they did not have the resources to deal with it and no one knew how to drive in it. This past year, my daughter's school sent out an email saying it was expected we would get a foot of snow that night, so everyone should plan ahead for the trip to school taking a little longer in the morning.

Old 06-06-11, 08:08 AM
Washington is a pretty big state and we have climates that range from desert to rain forest. To state that "an inch of snow there would close down the state" is a gross exaggeration. This past winter we had record snows in the mountains and at least one of the ski resorts is still operating.

We also have many, many people that "know how to drive in snow" but the problem is that in the Puget Sound area (up to maybe 400 elevation) the temperatures rarely drop much below freezing and so we don't have snow like most of the country. What we have here is SLUSH and that slush will freeze overnight making glare ice. Even when it doesn't freeze hard to ice driving in slush is pretty close to impossible and when you add in the hills of the area and the heavy traffic you get a lot of (relatively) minor accidents.

Old 06-06-11, 08:59 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, sorry, should have been less broad in my statement - the entire side of the state west of the Cascade mountains would shut down

The east side and those in the mountains are accustomed to snow

Old 06-06-11, 09:11 AM
Not good enough. It is almost exclusively the Puget Sound Region that has problems when it snows. Much of western Washington gets significant snow and people handle it just fine.

Old 06-06-11, 09:21 AM
Group Moderator
All right, I'm done

You win

Old 06-25-11, 08:24 PM
You forgot the word "irregardless"........NO SUCH WORD EXISTS!!!!!! it's just plain old "regardless".
That's what sends me over the edge.

Old 06-25-11, 08:32 PM
The other thing I can't stand are tailgaters........they should all be incarcerated!

Yep, release the thieves and murderers and lock up the tailgaters.......

Old 06-25-11, 08:55 PM
I am sure everyone has heard the phrase---"I COULD care less".
I think most people use this phrase by habit and have not thought about what they are saying.
I am sure most will agree, it should be "I couldn't care less"

Old 06-25-11, 11:27 PM
I couldn't agree more!

Old 06-26-11, 04:01 AM
Got the bottom line skinny on JD sausage. Sara Lee is setting the price. Ingles markets (200 stores in the southeast) had to post it at $4+ per roll. I go to Wallyworld and stroll through the food market, and there it is.....JD sausage for $2.98. More stores, more buying power, and Sara Lee cuts the cost to them, but not to the smaller chains.
Used to leave a good taste in my mouth, but no longer. We have a local slaughterhouse with fresh sausage that is still cheaper than store/national brands. I'll switch.

Ooh, Mackey, tailgaters don't deserve to be locked up. Tar and feather comes to mind. It was raining the other day so I called my crew off. I still needed to do some running around, so I left the 3500 Ram at home and drove my pristine Volvo. Came to a red traffic light...stopped...the old man behind me never hit his brakes. 45 mph impact, dented my trunk lid, scratched my bumper but tore his Equinox all to pieces. Had to have it towed. Even broke the right frame rail , not to mention radiator, grille, headlights. Too bad.

That's another one......it is a "traffic light" or "traffic signal"....not a "red light"....unless it is red. Why call it a red light, when it could be green??

Old 06-26-11, 05:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I remember when I was a little boy, my father stopped to get directions and the man told him to go thru so many red lights and then turn or whatever the rest of the directions were to get where we were going. I couldn't comprehend how that man would know how many of those traffic lights would be red Now I'm guilty of calling them red lights

Old 06-26-11, 03:49 PM
I'm not sure if it is still there, but for years and years, the DNR would put out directions to the WMA hunting areas. One told us to take a certain highway and turn left at the "red jeep". This guy had it out at the road for a very long time and kept it painted red. It was just a carcass and he planted flowers in the floor pans.

Old 06-29-11, 06:00 PM
Useless update to post #71. Total damage to Volvo amounted to trunk lid, bumper, a trip to Atlanta dealership to fix the WHIPS system and recode the car to the tune of $4500 plus the trip to Atlanta.
They may total the Equinox that hit me, not sure, yet. What a difference in vehicles.
For information, the WHIPS system involves the front seats. In a rearend collision, the seat back separates from the lower frame and slides back on hinges taking most of the impact. Seat has to be replaced, but I'm just glad it had it. Volvo may be owned by Ford, now, but I don't think their engineering has digressed yet.

Old 06-30-11, 10:38 PM
Something that irritates me is when people use foreign words or phrases and cannot even properly spell such words or phrases. I often see per say written instead of the Latin per se. Just today someone wrote peaked my interest instead of piqued my interest.

Search this Thread