Things that tick me off.

Old 05-23-11, 06:08 PM
Things that tick me off.

I've written before about the demise of our language but I see more and more of it and far too much from supposedly "educated" people. Things like writing alot instead of the two words a and lot. Writing seam when the proper word is seem. Using "chat" as in writing a u instead of writing out you or using the numeral 4 instead of for in a sentence.

People who do not understand the difference between there, their and they're REALLY send me over the edge. How is anyone supposed to take the answers from self-styled experts seriously when these "experts" can't even write at a third-grade level?

Has the modern push to mollycoddle students made the teaching of language and communication obsolete? Am I just an old fossil?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-11, 06:31 PM
Group Moderator
Hey, you forgot noone instead of no one. Way back when computers ran on kerosene and I was new to the net I saw that so often I checked two dictionaries to be sure it was wrong.

Old 05-23-11, 07:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
With the advent of texting, our language skills as a whole have gone downhill. I don't even understand some of them. It may cost me an extra text, but I use full English words. Makes my helpers wonder sometimes when they get a full dissertation as to what I want done without abbreviations and smilies. See? Smilies isn't even a word according to spell check.

Old 05-23-11, 11:17 PM
No, Ray, I didn't forget noone. I could have spent hours writing out all the stupid misspelled and misused words I come across every day but then who would have read it?

Then to really infuriate me, when I quietly take someone aside to gently tell them of their mistakes they get all huffy and respond with, "Well, YOU KNOW what I mean."

That's just it, if you DON'T use the language properly I DON'T know what you mean. What's more, I will most likely decide that YOU don't even know what you mean.

Old 05-24-11, 06:01 AM
Group Moderator
I here u, Furd.

[Sorry, the Devil made me do it].

Old 05-24-11, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator
I agree and lack of punctuation really drives me crazy! A paragraph turned into one long sentence without even a comma or a capital letter. :NO NO NO:
Although, I'm also guilty of abbreviations now and then. Usually when I'm in a rush.

Old 05-24-11, 08:18 AM
Group Moderator
What bothers me most is if enough people misuse a word for long enough, we just change the dictionary to make the incorrect correct.

Old 05-24-11, 08:47 AM
So right you are, Mitch. Alot is almost acceptable these days.

Old 05-24-11, 09:19 AM
Group Moderator
I've always maintained there are two requirements for speaking and writing well:
1 Some degree of talent
2 Desire to do so

I believe a lack of the second is where most problems lie.

Old 05-24-11, 09:54 AM
Group Moderator
The one that sends me over the edge is turning the word "disrespect" into a verb. A lot of supposedly educated people around doing that.

Old 05-24-11, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
sry TG... thO I affirm, it's evn n d dxNre now. thO I feel d ritN lang rlz shd stay d same, wrds wl alw B +d or fall outa uz. Electronic methods (texting, twitter, etc) wl chng as fings advance. evn d mltry, trucking, almst Ny trade hs their own shrth&.

That's from a texting translator....wow! Here's what I typed...

Sorry TG... though I agree, it's even in the dictionary now. Though I feel the written language rules should stay the same, words will always be added or fall out of use. Electronic methods (texting, twitter, etc) will change as things advance.

Even the military, trucking, almost any trade has their own shorthand.

Old 05-24-11, 11:09 AM
We're doomed. apf3ujisfjpswj

Old 05-24-11, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator
Vic, I hardly understood a word you said.
BUT, I'm not a text-er, nor do I want to be.

Old 05-24-11, 12:47 PM
Chris Matthews, who I would guess is an educated man, drives me crazy when he says strenth rather than strength. Makes me want to throw something at the TV.

Almost had a stroke yesterday! Elderly neighbor lady bought a mulching mower a few years ago which is fine if you have well drained soil and are able to cut often. Neither apply to her.

Whilst trying to watch Bonanza in my garage I hear this lawnmower run for 20 feet--brahh--20 feet--brahh. Her first cutting so the grass was long plus it had rained on and off all day so it was plenty damp.

Bottom line: I just feel sorry for these young kids she hires and has to use that piece of junk. That REALLY ticks me off!

Old 05-24-11, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
Chris Matthews, who I would guess is an educated man, drives me crazy when he says strenth rather than strength.
That has more to do with where you're from, than proper English. Around here, we pronounce it the same way, and since he's from Philly, as am I, that would explain it. Other words we have our own way of pronouncing also. We know it's not technically correct, but it's just the way it is.

Old 05-24-11, 01:00 PM
Group Moderator
Ok, I'm probably going to be soundly thrashed for this next comment but when I was growing up Aunt was pronounced ant, silent u. The only time you heard it with the 'U' pronounced was when someone was trying to sound upper class. Now it seems everyone pronounces the "u" and it just sounds to me like they are putting on airs, pretending to be upper class, when I hear it. To me it is like someone saying ta-ma-to instead of to-ma-tow.

Old 05-24-11, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
Ray, we still pronounce it "ant" around here, except for the snooties, lol.

Old 05-24-11, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by Shadeladie View Post
That has more to do with where you're from, than proper English. Around here, we pronounce it the same way, and since he's from Philly, as am I, that would explain it. Other words we have our own way of pronouncing also. We know it's not technically correct, but it's just the way it is.
I'll be darned, I had no idea. Thanks.

Ray, ant her too.

One more....soda or pop? I always thought soda was a southern term, we always called it pop. While watching my favorite show Andy asks Barney if he wants a bottle of pop so now I'm really confused.

Old 05-24-11, 01:43 PM
Group Moderator
Ant.
Tuh-MAY-tow.
"Soda" or simply call a spade a spade; Coke, Pepsi, whatever. Learned the English language initially in the Midwest; heard "soda" and "pop" both used, but it was rare to hear "pop" out in the country where we lived.
Texting disabled on my cell.
"Ain't" is in the dictionary, too.

Old 05-24-11, 01:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Gee, I thought tomato was pronounced 'mater'

Old 05-24-11, 04:22 PM
And nothin' better on a fishin' trip than cold fried chicken and soggy mater sandwiches. Bread, mayonnaise, thick slices of maters with plenty of pepper and a little salt. Man I miss my dad!
We live near the Chatooga River, so if you hear banjo's gettin' louder, paddle faster! Boy, a lot of squiggly lines under my words on this post

Old 05-28-11, 04:12 PM
Group Moderator
Hey, we forgot thanx.

Old 05-28-11, 06:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Round these parts, if we been aworkin in the garten, we worsh our hands and wrench em in the zinc afore we cap a 40.

Old 05-28-11, 06:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A lot of Dutch folks around? My grandparents were all dutch with their parents having immigrated from Holland..... they didn't do s's or r's either

Old 05-28-11, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Hey, we forgot thanx.

Xmas??????????????????????????????????? There, that long enough?

Old 05-29-11, 03:58 AM
Oooh, Baldwin, you got the prize. Nothing grates on me more than that!!
I see no one from Jersey has chimed in, so I guess they think "youse guys" is normal.

Old 05-29-11, 06:10 AM
Group Moderator
Isn't "youse guys" the northern "you all"?

Old 05-29-11, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator
Isn't "youse guys" the northern "you all"?
No, just up to a point. Jersey, Philly and Delaware pretty much talk the same and New York, too. Once you go farther north, they have their own way of talking.
Altho I would spell it more like you's than youse. Youse would be pronounced yowz.

Old 05-29-11, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator
How about you'ns (or youns...pronounced u-ins)....that seemed to be WV and Western VA.

Old 05-29-11, 10:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You nailed it Marksr. Zinzinatti is an old german settled area.

Old 05-30-11, 05:45 AM
Group Moderator
Had a buddy in boot camp long time ago from PA who said you-uns. Wife had some close friends/neighbors where the husband pronounced battery as BA-tree. Not sure where he was from.

Did we leave out our friends north of the border, eh (although theirs is mostly spelling)?

Amazing how many variations of the English language we speak.

For chandler: "Aintree?... this river don't go to Aintree!"

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 05-30-11 at 06:11 AM.
Old 05-30-11, 07:43 AM
Quite honestly, the ONLY people that don't talk funny are those that were born and raised in the northwest area of the country.

Old 05-30-11, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator
husband pronounced battery as BA-tree. Not sure where he was from.
Funny, I have a neighbor that pronounces battery exactly the same. He's from South Philly, yet no one else talks like this. So, must be a personal thing. Probably picked it up from someone they knew, from somewhere else.

Old 05-30-11, 08:25 AM
Hmmmm. Just went through this entire thread and din't find where y'all is bothred (intentional SP) by plural's. I guess y'all is OK by that, 'ey?

n.b. Local street here is spelled Sudderth and correctly pronounced sud-irth. Roughly 50% pronounce it SUD-reth.

Old 05-30-11, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
Everyone has something I guess...
My wife says lots of -ing words with kind of "guh" or "ging" sound at the end. Like "The phone is ring-ging"....and it drives me crazy. And when I say "Grab a-holt of the end of the rope" instead of "Grab hold of the end...." she feels the same way.

Don't know where I picked up mine...probably in OH where I grew up....and her mom and dad were from St Louis..

Old 05-30-11, 08:47 AM
Group Moderator
Just joking around as a kid we use to say two-bugs- and-a-locust instead of tuberculosis. Sixty years later I'm still trying not to say the first. Of course I also try to avoid Sears and Sawbuck and Monkey Ward. The young'ns just don't get the last two.

Old 05-30-11, 10:13 AM
Well, we Southerners probably take the cake for English abuse. There, I said it, so y'all wouldn't have to. One county in south Georgia is spelled Talliferro.........pronounced Tolliver. Albany, GA is pronounced All-Benny' by those who live there.
Are we the only ones who chew Redman Golden blend? Now that may get in the way of some pronunciations of complicated words Brown streaks on the side of your pickup is a dead give away. That's gotta chap some one pretty good.

Old 05-30-11, 01:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I painted a house for an old man in Georgia that chewed and the driver's side of his brand new ford pinto was covered with bacca [tobacco] juice
Cairo Ga. is pronounced Kayro - not like the town in Egypt is was probably named after. I had a neighbor in fla that always called a radiator a raddiator and a radio a raddio - I don't remember where he was originally from. Many around here used to refer to a carburetor as a corburetor.

I always thought the folks with the funniest accents were the ones from somewhere else

Old 05-31-11, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator
OK Furd, I only text short codes with my older friends, because they are the only ones that understand them.

Example:

MIDDLE AGE TEXTING CODES:

ATD -at the doctor...

BFF -best friend fell...

BTW -bring the wheelchair...

BYOT -bring your own teeth...

FWIW -forgot where I was...

GGPBL -gotta go, pacemaker battery low...

GHA -got heartburn again...

IMHAO -is my hearing aid on?..

LMDO -laughing my dentures out.

OMMR -on my massage recliner...

ROFLACGU -rolling on floor laughing and can't get up....

TTYL -talk to you louder

Mike NJ

Old 05-31-11, 09:42 AM
Group Moderator
That's pretty funny stuff, Mike

Search this Thread