Anybody Used Amazon Free Shipping

Old 06-17-11, 06:45 PM
Group Moderator
Anybody Used Amazon Free Shipping

Has anyone used Amazon free shipping. I have order multiple times from Amazon but never free shipping. Always the orders were shipped the same day. This order was made early Wednesday and still hasn't shipped. Status says "Will ship soon".

I'm wondering if they intentionally delay shipping perhaps hoping next time you will pay for higher priority shipping or if this is just a fluke. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Really not complaining, it is free and probably will arrive when promised but still just a bit irritating.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-11, 07:12 PM
Group Moderator
Well guess I should have Googled before posting or even better before using free shipping. Found this allegedly from Amazon:
When you choose FREE Super Saver Shipping on an order, you're letting us know you are willing to wait a little longer to get your items as long as the shipping is free. This option allows us to better manage our inventory and order demand and pass the savings on to you in the form of free shipping. Most Free Super Saver Shipping orders will ship out within 5 business days.
Also found an explanation that orders are not fulfilled from in stock but from newly ordered stock. That way they have stock on hand to cover paid shipping orders quick. Makes sense so as I said no real complaint.

Old 06-17-11, 10:47 PM
I just completed an order from Amazon with free shipping and it was free. Had it sent to my BIL's place in Issaquah where my brother picked it up when he was down there. Several items from different suppliers. Think there was an option to speed up deliverly but didn't matter to me. I would certainly believe that the faster shipping option would cost more..why not? Pretty sure some items arrived earlier than suggested.

Old 06-18-11, 05:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, you get what you pay for My bank offers free checks for seniors but when you order the checks they want to charge you for S&H - overnight, very expensive, 3-4 days still high but when you get to the bottom of the list, it's free - just takes several weeks. Unlike my wife, I've never been in a big hurry to spend my money

Old 06-18-11, 05:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Nearly all of Amazon is "drop shipped". They are only a clearing house. I seriously doubt they have much of a physical inventory. Free is free and worth every penny of it!

Old 06-18-11, 10:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I usually use their free shipping option. Have received the ordered item(s) in anywhere from two days to two weeks. Even had "white glove" delivery and setup of a 46" tv at no charge.

Old 06-18-11, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Nearly all of Amazon is "drop shipped". They are only a clearing house. I seriously doubt they have much of a physical inventory. Free is free and worth every penny of it!
Not quite true, they have several "fulfillment centers" around the country that DO have significant stock. Sometimes you will get an Amazon order sent from different centers on the same day or more often on different days.

I always use the super saver (free) shipping since I have to wait for at least a couple of days anyway what's a few days more? If I needed instant gratification I'd go to a brick and mortar store. Buying from Amazon means I can do it without leaving the house or even getting dressed. The one thing that does irritate me is that living in Amazon's home state I have to pay the state and local sales tax on all purchases.

Old 06-18-11, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Furd View Post
The one thing that does irritate me is that living in Amazon's home state I have to pay the state and local sales tax on all purchases.
Didn't know about their inventory. Glad you set me straight. You have to pay the sales tax, even if it is shipped from an out of state entity, too, right?

Old 06-18-11, 05:37 PM
Yep! Washington state tax law states that if a company has a "presence" in the state then sales tax must be collected. They've tried to collect through other companies saying that mere sales are considered to be a presence but most don't buy it.

Old 06-18-11, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
In PA, you're not charged sales tax. It's on the buyer to report it, but I don't know anyone that does. I don't even think most people are aware of this.
I always use the free shipping option and orders usually come pretty fast. There's the occasional one that takes longer, so I guess it depends.

Old 06-18-11, 06:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Here are their warehouse states. We are supposed - I say supposed - to pay any sales tax to our state.
Don't know anyone who does.

Fulfillment Centers:
Arizona
Delaware
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Nevada
Pennsylvania
Texas
Virginia

;
Fulfillment Centers:
Arizona
Delaware
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Nevada
Pennsylvania
Texas
Virginia

Old 06-18-11, 06:58 PM
Group Moderator
Past 60 but still feel like someone rescheduled Christmas.

Old 06-20-11, 02:42 PM
Group Moderator
Curioser and curioser. The promised delivery date 06/21-06/25, and here it is the 20th and it hasn't shipped yet.

Guess I'll be calling tomorrow. Another fun fact there are a whole slew of sites if you Google that are dedicated to giving you the Amazon CS number. Seems Amazon has been intending to make it easy to find on their site since 2002 but just hasn't had time to do it yet.

Old 06-20-11, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator
Ray, I have ordered things that took unusually long to ship out, for whatever reason, and they then ship by UPS to make up for it, so it ends up getting here in the promised time frame.

Old 06-20-11, 04:44 PM
One problem I have with shippers is they will tell me they are shipping it via UPS or DHL, only to have it arrive via USPS. I found out UPS and others actually pawn off shipments to the Postal Service for final delivery. Takes an extra day in most instances. Here I am tracking a shipment out for delivery by UPS, and it is......delivery to the post office

Old 06-20-11, 06:31 PM
Group Moderator
Yea! Cis boom Raaa! It shipped. Maybe it will get here before this monitor fails.

Old 06-21-11, 05:32 AM
Group Moderator
Placed my last order on the 14th and it showed up yesterday (the 20th)

Old 06-21-11, 10:38 AM
I suspect that my next order will arrive within minutes, my sister gave me a Kindle for my birthday.

Old 06-21-11, 08:20 PM
Group Moderator
The things you can learn by guessing partly and confirming with Google. Seems Amazon has a fulfillment center in Mesquite and they just throw it on a UPS truck headed south to Houston. Seems to bypass going to a hub or even the UPS warehouse.

Search this Thread