Who's at fault?

Old 06-19-11, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator
Who's at fault?

I ordered 15 replacement windows from Home Depot. I gave them the correct measurements in inches, printed on an excel spreadsheet. Picked them up yesterday and three of them were the wrong width. Didn't notice it till we got them home and took them off the truck.
The order form prints them in feet and inches, which I guess is why I didn't notice the 3 wrong ones. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see how the mistake was made and who made it.
My question is, will Home Depot own up to it or will they put it on me for not noticing it on the order form, that I signed and OK'd?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-11, 08:10 AM
I have had to push big orange around many times and have always won. You are in a good position here as they made the first mistake. Like signing for a UPS package and then discovering hidden damage, the fact that you presumed the order was correct as the count was correct, doesn't doesn't negate any future claims. Take notes and names and see what their response is.

Bud

Old 06-19-11, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator
They should make it right. Unless they have a real hardass manager...but it's just not worth losing your business for a mistake they or the supplier made.

You signed the initial special order that is also printed with the cost and payment info? They could hold that against you, but those don't print out to be user friendly. They should have gone over the windows individually with the print from the design part of the process, matching to your list along the way...not the receipt that you sign and take to the cashier. That's the way I always did it, and had the customer initial each design...and still made mistakes that we had to eat. One was $6000 worth of big custom made replacement sash kits that were still sitting in the overhead 3 yrs later when I left. Wood instead of aluminum clad....arrrggh! One little line on the form.

If all you signed was the pickup or delivery receipt...no problem. They'll probably Mike Holmes it (make it right) either way.

Old 06-19-11, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator
You signed the initial special order that is also printed with the cost and payment info?
Yep, that's why I'm figuring it could go either way. You're right, it's not user friendly. He handed me the "little booklet" and told me to look it over. I guess I didn't really know what I was looking at. It looked OK.
I know if someone gave me measurements to make a window treatment and I goofed when I wrote it on the work order that they signed, I would make it right, but don't know how big companies work. Guess I'll find out.
Can't believe this happened.
We're fixing up the house and I've just spent thousands there, using their credit card.
Will let you know what they say tomorrow. Thanks.

Old 06-19-11, 09:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Always, always have the manufacturer or their representative (HD in this instance) measure for anything like windows. That way, you are sure to get the proper product, in the right size without a hassle if it is wrong when it arrives.

Old 06-19-11, 09:29 AM
One more. Actually they made more than one mistake as they signed off on the order they received from their supplier. So, the wrong order was sent, they missed it when they received it, and they should have checked it before they called you to say your order was ready. If you gave them the wrong numbers, it would be your fault, but here they made all of the mistakes, you just trusted them.

Bud

Old 06-19-11, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator
Larry...HD won't send anyone to measure (at least they didn't used to) unless they are installing. Even if they do, since installers normally do it different than homeowners (exterior vs interior install) it can be a little dicey.

Different if you are ordering from a supply house or direct...then at least you can talk to the person doing the measuring. HD guys would just show up anytime since they didn't need access to the interior in most cases.

Old 06-19-11, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator
No, they don't measure unless they're installing. Even if they did, it would be too late now.
At least now I feel like I have a 50/50 chance.

Old 06-19-11, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
Oh...more than that. More like 95/5 chance. They'll put them in the markdown area and recover most of their cost (which is about 1/2 of retail).

Old 06-19-11, 07:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I spend too much at HD for them to NOT come out and measure for a job. They know I'll buy the windows somewhere, so why not with them. If they were to not come out, Pella is 1/4 mile away, and Jeld Wen is just a little farther, and they all will send a rep out. HD won't jeopardize a sale if it is big enough, and I won't buy unless they measure. I don't want that monkey on my back.

Old 06-20-11, 05:28 AM
Same thing happened to me except they put brick mold on for siding rather than stucco. They brought out the store manager and the window rep to my house because at first they were debating fault with me.

I know them pretty well as I do a lot of business there and at the time, I was actually doing sales and installs of my product out of their stores in town.

In the end, they gave me new windows and were decent about it. Wasn't much of a flap.

Old 06-20-11, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator
Update: There ended up being no problem returning them. They even apologized and said it was their mistake. Returned them and re-ordered the correct ones.
Worried for nothing. Thanks everyone!

Search this Thread