cutting up Ikea wood

Old 06-23-11, 03:28 PM
cutting up Ikea wood

Not having any "tool" knowledge myself, I've decided that if I cut an Ikea Expedit bookcase in half it would be perfect for my spaces. It is supposedly wood. It is approx 31" wide x 15 1/2" deep.

If I could get someone to cut this in half, to 31" X 7 3/4", it would be perfect on either side of my son's new house mantle. (open back would allow the heat to vent and decorative with a few "artifacts".

Is there any piece of equipment, or more appropriately, what "tradesman" would have a saw that could do that? It is, of course, probably the only piece of Ikea furniture that is fully assembled when you buy it..

Thanks to anyone who can offer advice or alternative.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-11, 06:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If the bookcase has non removable shelves, it is going to be a bear to do. If the shelves can be removed, any carpenter with a table saw can cut the back out of the cabinet. Only problem is if the shelves were adjustable, you just lost half the holes needed to keep them in place, so you have to plan B that. As I said, with fixed shelves, I am not sure how you could successfully cut the back out. Maybe you could post a pix of the unit so we can see what you see. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 06-24-11, 05:16 AM
cutting up Ikea

EXPEDIT Bookcase - black-brown - IKEA

This is the bookcase. The top, sides and base are 2" thick. The shelf and vertical dividers 3/4". Apparently it does comes in parts, so now my question is, looking at the "ingredients", can they be sawn? sawed?

Product description
Main parts: Particleboard, Fiberboard, ABS plastic, Paper, Printed and embossed acrylic paint, Clear acrylic lacquer
Fixed shelf: Particleboard, Fiberboard, ABS plastic, Paper, Foil

Old 06-24-11, 12:48 PM
Group Moderator
I'm assuming this comes in kit form. That being the case it should be pretty straightforward to rip all the pieces in half to make them shallower before assembly. That's providing, as chandler mentions, there aren't any issues with shelf supports. The rip operation would be table saw work. Other thing to consider is that the back "half" would likely not be suitable as a "front" because the back edges of shelves and other pieces or not generally finished, although it could probably be made to work with a little effort.

Old 06-25-11, 07:56 AM
The only reason I've considered this is that the unit is finished all faces. The shelves are fixed. So with chalk, careful measure and a steady hand even my husband could do with his table saw. Careful touchup paint can take care of the back face and I'll have two narrow shelf units for either side of the mantle.

Thanks so much for everyone's input and help. Project is on.

Old 06-25-11, 07:59 AM
Group Moderator
Sounds like it would work. Let us know how it turns out.

Search this Thread