Mosquitoes...Where Did They Go?

Old 06-30-11, 10:23 PM
Mosquitoes...Where Did They Go?

I've been out in the garage watching TV from 7 till midnight, with all the doors open, and not one single mosquito came to visit. Not ONE!

Can't be lack of moisture as we're normal or slightly above. Not too cold, about 80 today.

Come on, this is northern Minnesota where I should be carried away by the little critters.

Just an observation.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-11, 04:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Can you spell G-E-O-R-G-I-A?? How many do you need? Small box, UPS?
You must have had a great winter. We get them occasionally and the mosquito, flea, tick population is diminished somewhat the next year. Warm winter, watch out. We're high 80's to low 90's for the next 10 days. Humid, thunderstorms occasionally, so it makes puddles for them to breed in.

Old 07-01-11, 05:02 AM
Last year I experienced the same thing. Left the doors open most of the summer. Mosquitoes, flies, everything with wings seemed to be few in numbers. This year looks like a repeat and I'm in north country east of you.

Just south of us they have been having horrific numbers of a brown tail moth (caterpillar). It releases hairs that cause real problems with people. This year, gone, at least in this one area. The report says a fungus from too much rain wiped them out. So I would suspect something in mother nature changed and the little blood suckers didn't make it.

In my area the normal tent caterpillars are also gone.

Before we cheer too much, let's see how the rest of the summer goes .

Bud

PS, Larry, I'll pass on the replacements .

Last edited by Bud9051; 07-01-11 at 05:07 AM. Reason: addition
Old 07-01-11, 07:40 AM
We're high 80's to low 90's for the next 10 days.
Hasn't broken 80 here since last August...which is just fine with me.

I've seen a few of the little black mosquitoes but I don't think they have bitten me as I usually get big itchy bumps from them.

Old 07-01-11, 01:23 PM
Wifey uses Skin So Soft to repel bugs. Works, and doesn't smell like DEET and Horse pee.

Old 07-01-11, 01:59 PM
Group Moderator
SHHHHHHHHHH! I sure hope they do not visit this site. I am heading north this weekend!
We started getting some lately. I suspect that the water had not warmed up enough to get the big hatch. With that last couple of 90+ degree days things will start buzzing.

Old 07-01-11, 02:30 PM
Group Moderator
Haven't really noticed any yet, which is a little unusual. We've been in the 90's for weeks and June was pretty dry, but got some rain this last week; total of about 5" Wed/Thurs. Will see if they come out this weekend.

Old 07-01-11, 02:33 PM
You'd think there would be a few. That's okay, I'm not complaining.

Hope you're not planning on golfing Giant's Ridge.....they're closed. There will be some PO'd people this weekend.

Old 07-01-11, 03:12 PM
Always worries me when something changes with mother nature, not that I miss these pests, but something has changed, as I sit here with the door wide open and no screen.

Bud

Old 07-01-11, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator
This time of year mosquitoes are pretty intense but there are occasional reprieves.
Right now dragon flies are mating and they are as thick as molasses.
When they are flying in large numbers there is not a mosquito, hoarse fly or black fly to be seen.

It is an interesting time of year and makes me realize my place in life!
The ground is alive with female dragon flies chewing off the heads of their mates !!!

We also have bats around here and as soon as they come out the biting insects dissapear.

Old 07-01-11, 06:16 PM
Group Moderator
I encourage frogs, spiders, humming birds, various fish, bats and any other animal that helps control mosquitos. Still the odd one finds me but for some reason that drives my wife crazy, they love her 10 times more than me. Whenever she's outside with me I don't get a bit while she's getting eaten alive.

Old 07-02-11, 04:29 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Baldwin View Post
You'd think there would be a few. That's okay, I'm not complaining.

Hope you're not planning on golfing Giant's Ridge.....they're closed. There will be some PO'd people this weekend.
Closed on the 4th of July weekend? That doesn't make sense. Then again, the state government has done the same.

Luckily I will be in the Walker area. Have a good weekend guys!

Old 07-02-11, 11:01 AM
That is the problem. The IRRRB (state agency) owns Giants Ridge, so.......sorry folks.

I'd hate to be traveling with kids, all the rest areas are closed too. Pee bottle?

Killed one mosquito last night. Now I KNOW something is wrong, the entire holiday weekend with blue skies and sunshine..... unheard of.

Old 07-05-11, 10:36 PM
Come up here to Saskatchewan. Can't sit outside for 10 minutes without an I. V. Mosquitoes are our provincial bird.

Old 07-07-11, 01:05 PM
I didn't see many mosquitoes when I was down in Virginia, either. I thought they would be swarming around my lights.

Old 07-07-11, 01:22 PM
Group Moderator
I don't think mosquitoes are attracted to light. It's probably the biggest reason why bug zappers don't work. They attract mostly good insects that don't bite.

Old 07-07-11, 01:51 PM
I think that like many things in nature, mosquito populations are probably cyclical. Including areas where the population is so dense it isn't really noticeable whether there are 5 million mosquitos per cubic foot of air or just one million during a down year.

Old 07-07-11, 03:58 PM
Like GregH in post #10, I build bat houses and place them around the barn. We have at least one every evening making the rounds from down at the barn up around the house and back unceasingly until his mommy calls him in, I guess. I can imagine what he is eating on those trips

Old 07-07-11, 04:22 PM
Group Moderator
We have always had bats around and I put up a bat house 5 years ago. I left it in one location for two years with no residents and it's been in it's current location for 3 years and still no tenants.

Old 07-07-11, 04:29 PM
I suspect that the water had not warmed up enough to get the big hatch
I think you may be right there. The night of the 3rd, and ever since, the little buggers almost carried me out of my garage.

Old 07-07-11, 04:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I probably ought to knock on wood but I've only been mosquito bit a few times since moving to tenn of course when I lived in fla, I only got bit a few times a day .... 10 months out of the year

I haven't bothered to build or put out any bat houses but we do have bats. A portion of my property border is thru the middle of the creek but it's about 100' or more lower than my house and we really don't have anywhere that standing water can collect.