How obsessed are we?

Old 07-16-11, 07:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How obsessed are we?

Taking a stroll down the aisles of our newly remodeled grocery store. Nice job, too. BUT, just how obsessed are we with bottled water. We live in the mountains of north Georgia. Almost perfect well water everywhere, natural springs for some, mostly pristine water flow. But here's nearly a 75' row of what they offer.

After the Dr. Pepper, it's ALL WATER!!!!

Sarasota, maybe, right TG?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-11, 08:02 PM
Group Moderator
Way back when I was young I worked for Borden's. There was so little bottled water available that Borden's kept a stock of PurPack cartons labeled Water as part of the regional emergency plan. The idea was after a disaster bottling plants could gear up to supply emergency water. Sure no need for that now.

Old 07-17-11, 04:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I suspect bottle water will keep coming on bigger and bigger. 30 yrs ago I'd have thought a person would be crazy to pay for a bottle of water. When I lived in fla, I had well water - clean and tasty..... well at first, but as the area became more populated the quality of the water went down When I first moved to tenn, my 'city' water was clean and tasty but now it's a crap shoot - some days it's fine but other times it tastes like you are drinking out of clorox bottle

Remember when we used to take good clean tap water for granted?

Old 07-17-11, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator
I still drink tap water around here. I think it tastes good and I don't find any difference between that and bottled water.
I can understand if your water tastes funky, but I see people live near me that drink bottled water, and I think it's all in their head!

Old 07-17-11, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator
I agree Larry..it does seem kinda crazy. We buy a case of bottled water every once in a while. A lot easier for road trips and such and when my wife goes to the gym. I refill them from our fridge water and put them back in our garage beverage fridge, but my wife doesn't like giving opened bottles to company or drinking from theirs afterwards....so those get trashed. By attrition it normally works out to the 4 months or so.

Old 07-17-11, 10:40 AM
I buy a couple of cases (36 bottles) of water a year BUT I do so for the annual picnic at the old power plant museum where I sometimes volunteer. Having a 6-inch water main that is 100 years old and only using a few gallons of water daily that tap water can get pretty nasty.

Many years ago Seattle was almost famous for its pristine tap water. It is all from mountain snow melt and collected in remote and secured watersheds. Unfortunately, it is also somewhat corrosive to galvanized steel piping so about 30 years ago they started adding chemicals to "harden" the water because so many people were complaining about the condition of their galvanized plumbing.

I have an under cabinet charcoal filter on my kitchen faucet and I also have the instant hot water and icemaker connected to this filter. I change the filter about every three months.

Old 07-17-11, 10:43 AM
Group Moderator
Funny thing is a lot of bottled water is just from a municipal water supply, AKA tap water. Just read the label.

Old 07-17-11, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator
Funny thing is a lot of bottled water is just from a municipal water supply, AKA tap water.
True and that goes to prove PT Barnum was right!

Old 07-17-11, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator
Ahhh true...but it is purified, filtered, and RO'd...at least what I buy is.

Old 07-17-11, 10:56 AM
I agree, Scott, most is "purified" tap water. They run it through a filter and bottle it. If I buy any, like the others for outings, or road trips, I make sure it is spring water. Buying by the bottle, though is ludicrous! Go to the 7-11 and buy a bottle for $1.29. That's $10.32 per gallon......and we cry at $4.00 diesel.

Old 07-17-11, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator
I used to have tropical fish, and before I added any new water to the tanks, I used to fill up buckets of water and let them sit for 5 days because after the 5 days, any chemicals added were gone.
So, if you fill up bottles of tap water and let them sit, you'll end up with plain ole water.

Old 07-17-11, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by Shadeladie View Post
I used to have tropical fish, and before I added any new water to the tanks, I used to fill up buckets of water and let them sit for 5 days because after the 5 days, any chemicals added were gone.
So, if you fill up bottles of tap water and let them sit, you'll end up with plain ole water.
Where'd the chemicals go? Unless you add a reagent to it, they will dissipate when you move the container. Now, I cold stabilize wine in the winter which causes solids to precipitate to the bottom, but they are still there.

Old 07-17-11, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator
It's mostly just the chlorine and volatiles that evaporate(?) out. Thats the thing that will kill fish. It still has any minerals or solids, but they don't care about that. I'm not sure fish can taste....they just don't like to be poisoned...lol.

Old 07-17-11, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator
It takes 24 hours for the chlorine and 5 days for other things.

Where'd the chemicals go?
How the **** should I know? I'm not a chemist or a scientist. I just know this was what I was supposed to do and it must've worked since it didn't kill the fish when I added water.

Old 07-17-11, 04:25 PM
Group Moderator
Our well water is okay for showering and brushing teeth, but otherwise not very tasty. When we moved back down here after I retired we bought a bottled water dispenser. Wife fills the big bottles at Wally World where they have a Culligan self-serve filling station; much cheaper and convenient than the small bottles or gallons.

Old 07-17-11, 04:39 PM
Group Moderator
I thought maybe the next aisle over was the scotch.

Old 07-17-11, 05:56 PM
We drank our well water for years until I had to have the submersible pump serviced. When the well company guys pulled the pump and I got a look at it I decided "I ain't drinking that sheet". The stuff they pulled out of the well was seriously gross. Think green and orange snot. The well guys said that they are all like that.

I bought an RO filter and a UV treatment system and I drink the water now. My wife drinks only bottled water.

Water from a muni tap is probably some of the safest water you can drink. However, muni water that has traveled through miles of old underground pipes may not be the same stuff coming out of the treatment plant.

Old 07-17-11, 06:20 PM
How right you are, Wayne. Even my charcoal filter (on city water) after only three or four months of service has a slimy mess on the inlet side and orange snot at the bottom of the filter housing.

Old 07-17-11, 07:56 PM
Group Moderator
Once upon a time the TV stations use to say to stock up water before a hurricane and if you ran out of water after the hurricane to buy bottled water if city water was declared unsafe. Now these same TV stations say to buy bottled before. Interesting they show the inside of supermarkets that are probably major advertisers with the station as their making their reports. Never once do you here them suggest if you have city water you can just fill clean food grade containers such as soft drink bottles. Hmmm?

But that isn't strangest part. Here we have many many coin operated drinking water dispensers in parking lots. If you look close you will see they are connected to city water. Before a hurricane you can see people in long lines waiting in 95+ temperatures to fill their own containers with the the same water that flows from their taps at home, just a bit more filtered.

Old 07-17-11, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator
Here we have many many coin operated drinking water dispensers in parking lots. If you look close you will see they are connected to city water.

Yes but the machines have special filters that make it "magic water"....LOL.

Mike NJ

Last edited by lawrosa; 07-17-11 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-17-11, 09:50 PM
Earlier I wrote that I buy two 36 bottle cases for my charity picnic every year. Truth is, I buy three cases and one I use throughout the year when I go somewhere where I might want more than my travel thermos holds. That way I always have at least a half-case of bottled water in my home for emergency purposes.

Funny thing is, in all of my 61 years I have NEVER experienced an emergency when I didn't have potable tap water. A few outlying communities have had advisories to boil water but never in any community in which I have lived.

Old 07-18-11, 08:11 AM
One thing about bottled water or filters that concerns me is that municipal tap water is required to have a chlorine residual maintained in it to ensure total elimination of pathogens and prevent any regrowth of them later on in the distribution system. However, once this residual chlorine is filtered out, as in bottled water or through something like a Brita filter, there is nothing to prevent the growth of bacteria or pathogens. In addition, the fluoride that is added to many municipal water supplies for prevention of tooth decay is missing from bottled water and is filtered out by carbon filtration systems.

I see bottled water as mostly a "fashion statement". I guess I'm a dinosaur since I'm nearly 60 years old and have never had bottled water in my life. But when I see these young people walking down the street, bottled water in one hand and a cell phone in their other hand, I have to shake my head.

Old 07-18-11, 09:09 AM
I see bottled water as mostly a "fashion statement". I guess I'm a dinosaur since I'm nearly 60 years old and have never had bottled water in my life. But when I see these young people walking down the street, bottled water in one hand and a cell phone in their other hand, I have to shake my head.
My thoughts exactly! Naturally, there are exceptions. Our city gets its water from a 400' deep mine pit and it is great. The 'company town' five miles away, built in the 50's, gets their water from wells and it is terrible, just terrible.

Someone wrote here a few years ago I think it was if you could see the inside of a city water main you'd never drink the water. Maybe, but I haven't heard of too many people dropping dead from city water. Geezz....it's tested all the time.

I don't think I've seen it mentioned here but what makes me ill is the zillions of these plastic bottles littering this rock of ours. Just crazy to me.

Old 07-18-11, 10:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I generally drink tap water but often our water gets too much chlorine in it...... and I can't stand water with a bleach taste There is a town near here that has a lot of chlorine in their water. While I normally drink water with a meal - I get something else to drink in that town!!

I find myself drinking bottled water more and more but mostly because of the taste of the tap water, occasionally as a convenience. I probably ought to look for a filtration system that will meet my needs

Old 07-18-11, 11:04 AM
Mark - You need to broaden your horizens. If the water sucks drink wine! Water should be the last resort.

Old 07-18-11, 11:23 AM
Group Moderator
I never really drink water except for medicinal reasons. My usual drink is cola but I'll usually drink sweet tea or juice for breakfast. What amazes me is people who drink water with a meal. I want some flavor in what I drink.

Oh yes by medicinal purposes I mean if I'm working in hot weather. I will force myself to drink water to prevent dehydration but I'll often follow it with a cola chaser. Really hot I'll carry juice for a chaser to avoid caffeine altogether.

Old 07-18-11, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator
Am I the only one who still drinks a big glass of cold milk with almost every meal? My wife always gives me a look when we're in a nicer place and I do that. I normally drink 3 refilled water bottles every morning, couple in the afternoon. I might have 1 or 2 sodas over 6 months. Iced tea when we go for BBQ or similar. Other than that it's water, coffee, and beer.

Old 07-18-11, 11:48 AM
Am I the only one who still drinks a big glass of cold milk with almost every meal?
Every meal for me, I love milk. Between me and the dog a gallon doesn't last long in my house.

I hate it when I see my kids drink pop or <gasp> beer with a meal unless they're out barbequing or something. I do hint a bit yet even though they are all in their 30's. My daughter claims it makes her toot and I say so what. Women need milk.

Old 07-18-11, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator
I generally drink tap water but often our water gets too much chlorine in it...... and I can't stand water with a bleach taste There is a town near here that has a lot of chlorine in their water.
If you smell or taste chlorine it means there is not enough in it. Its the chlomines. The bleach killed something and now the chloromines give off the smell and taste.

If you ever had a pool you will know what I am talking about.

Properly sanitized water with 2ppm chlorine should have no chlorine smell or taste.

Even when you take a hot shower you inhale the chlorine in the steam. The EPA says chlorine its measurable and drinking cloronated water out ways the risk of non cloronated water.

IMO everyone should have thier own well and have a RO system off the well for drinking.

Mike NJ

Old 07-18-11, 11:49 AM
Group Moderator
I drink water starting after lunch. If I don't and drink Mtn Dew I flop around like a fish in bed, or at least that is what my wife tells me. If I drank milk with dinner I would have to install grab bars in the bathroom.

I like ice cold water with ice. No flavor, the way God intended it.

Old 07-18-11, 01:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell View Post
Mark - You need to broaden your horizens. If the water sucks drink wine! Water should be the last resort.
Excluding my teenage years - I never was much of a wine drinker but I used to drink more than my share of beer It was rumored at one outfit I worked for that 'ole country mark' put beer in his cereal every morning but I squashed that rumor right quick - I told them I didn't have cereal for breakfast

I haven't drank any alcohol [other than NyQuil] in almost 20 yrs, I figure I'm better off that way I rarely drink more than 5-6 sodas in a week, just not that fond of carbonated drinks. I often have a small glass of milk at breakfast but it's pretty much water and tea during the day. I used to drink a lot of milk when I was younger but after the kids were born, it took a gallon a day for them and their mother - I couldn't see buying more than 1 gallon a day so I pretty much quit drinking milk until they got older

Old 07-18-11, 03:49 PM
I mean, really guys, just how bad can milk be for you?????

Search this Thread