Are Paragraphs Illegal

Old 07-20-11, 05:46 AM
Group Moderator
Are Paragraphs Illegal

Is it illegal to use paragraphs on the Internet when posting in a forum or do they just not teach using paragraphs in school now days? Some days I feel like writing in all caps "use paragraphs". Of course brevity and clarity would be nice too but at least some freak'n paragraphs, please.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-11, 05:54 AM
Group Moderator
Oh Ray, come on now.... I know what you mean. It does make it very hard to read some times but you have to remember, we do not know the background of the OP's and they might not have the same grasp of the English language as we do. Or, as in my case, just did not do very well in English class. I also feel it will only get worse with all the texting.

L8r

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 07-20-11 at 06:18 AM.
Old 07-20-11, 07:14 AM
Group Moderator
I have asked OPs on many occasions to use punctuation, as their paragraph is just one long run-on sentence and almost nothing can be discerned.

Old 07-20-11, 08:44 AM
I often want to make a nasty comment but then I stop to think that Americanized English may be a second (or third) language to the poster. In those cases I am usually able to decipher the message and respond tactfully.

But when it is a run-on like Mitch describes I just go to the next problem. I think that is the one thing I like the most about offering help via the Internet; I can always choose to bypass the people that can't put three words together in a coherent form.

Old 07-20-11, 09:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I dun no what yer meen

Old 07-20-11, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator
I DO ask people to rewrite their problem so other people can understand, but they're often one time posters and never come back.
As far as English being a second language, sorry, that's not an excuse. :NO NO NO:

Old 07-20-11, 12:01 PM
As far as English being a second language, sorry, that's not an excuse.
That's a pretty arrogant statement on an INTERNATIONAL forum.

Old 07-20-11, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
This is not an international forum, altho anyone can participate.
As for my comment, I say that because my parents were immigrants, yet they took the time to learn the language and how to write properly.

Old 07-20-11, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Actually, per the rules.."DoItYourself.com is a Global site, but not multi-lingual." I interpret that as International.

I do agree that people need to be be proficient in the language...but I've know people that have been here for 50+ yrs and can speak just fine with just a minor accent...their written word is another story entirely. Much depends on their profession I think.

Old 07-20-11, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator
Guess it became a global site when the new owners took over.
However, tho I stand by what I said, I haven't found the people with English as their second language to be the problem. Seems to be the people that either text too much and think that should be carried over to here, or people that are in too much of a hurry to bother with punctuation and paragraphs.
btw Furd, if you want to make this personal, I can do the same.

Old 07-20-11, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator
Agreed on the too much of a hurry and texting generation.....You should see the comments in my local newspaper.

Now can we all just calm down? Life's too short...lol.

Old 07-20-11, 04:46 PM
Shadeladie, both of my grandfathers came to this country from Germany and each of them married a first-generation American woman whose parents came from Germany. I have worked with people from all over the world during my lifetime and MOST of them have been able to read, write and speak English just fine. I don't know if they learned English in their native country or here in night school or what and quite honestly it doesn't make any difference. There are, however, some that for some reason (or maybe it's an excuse) that just can't make the transition in language. We have an example on this forum in the electrical section; a man that is highly intelligent but has a poor command of the English language. I don't correct him or call him to task just because he has trouble with the language.

On the other hand, it seems that there is a contingent of people, mostly younger, that seem to think (?) that no matter how they write others are supposed to be able to interpret their thoughts, no matter how convoluted the writing, misspelled words, lack of punctuation or the like. Some of it can be attributed to the "texting" fad but most, I believe, is because so many schools have totally "bought in" to the concept of "self esteem" and not correcting the students. I think I have written more on this forum on the subject of losing our ability to communicate than anyone else.

Old 07-20-11, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator
If you go back and read the original post, we're talking about people that type one long sentence with no punctuation, caps, or paragraphs. We're not talking about poor grammar or how people spell or pronounce words. I don't think you're understanding what I meant.

Old 07-20-11, 07:31 PM
Group Moderator
It's easy enough to tell if a person has a language problem and that is something easily spotted. I am understanding of that and have no complaint about that. My complaint is about formatting. All languages that use an alphabet use paragraphs and such to format the writing as far as I know. The usage of paragraphs and punctuation does not vary that much from language to language does it?