Word of warning...

Old 07-27-11, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator
Word of warning...

Never try to microwave a smaller quantity of rice without also adjusting the cooking time. And when your wife says it smells like something is burning, don't dismiss it as the stuff in the oven.

And when you do finally grab the pyrex bowl of blackened rice, remember to use hot pads. And don't set the scalding hot bowl of blackened rice in the side of the sink with the disposer in it. And don't run water into the scalding hot bowl of blackened rice to stop it from smoking.

And after you pick out all the large pieces of shattered pyrex bowl and blackened rice out of the sink, do not reach in to the disposer to get the shards that fell in it.
Also, remember to wash your cuts well with an antiseptic soap and run your burnt fingers under cool water.

btw....Sears has a pretty good price on a 3/4 HP Kenmore/Insinkerator disposer, but you may need to also get an extension for the drain tube from one of the 3 stores that SHOULD have it in stock but don't!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-11, 06:54 AM
Group Moderator
Sounds like solid advice to me! Owie!

In my younger years I was making a turkey dinner at a friends house and he was a little short on cookware. So I thought I'd use a Pyrex bowl to steam some veggies on his gas stove. All was going well until the bowl was getting low on water. Added a little water and you guessed it! BOOM! The glass bowl exploded! Luckily no injuries and the steamer kept the veggies glass free.

Old 07-27-11, 07:04 AM
Group Moderator
Holy cow, Vic! For your sake, I hope that isn't a true story!

Old 07-27-11, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator
I still have the old disposer in the garage trashcan...you need pics as proof? lol.

Old 07-27-11, 09:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I knew there was a reason I let my wife do all the cooking, although I do heat up left overs in the microwave and occasionally cook some venison in the crock pot.

Hope your hands and pride heal quickly

Old 07-27-11, 10:25 AM
Group Moderator
Wife do the cooking?

I came home once to find a big bowl of white liquid in the fridge - she had made vanilla pudding but mixed it with water since we didn't have any milk; to this day, she can't figure out why it didn't set up.

I came home once to find hockey pucks in the oven and the wife on the treadmill; she told me the pucks had started off as chicken breasts.

Need more?

Old 07-27-11, 10:38 AM
ROFLMBO!!!! Thanks I really needed that one today!!! Opps, I mean, sorry to hear your day went bad, hope you are better......nope, still laughing!!!

Old 07-27-11, 02:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Mitch, you mean there are TWO of them? My wife (who normally does not cook) will put something on the stove, walk out the back door, change the dog water, keep walking, gather eggs, walk the dogs, trim blueberry bushes and gather the berries, and finally get back inside 2 hours later. Brainfart city!!
I still have the pan in the kitchen and swear I will have to take it to the shop tomorrow and sand blast the bottom to get whatever she was "cooking" off.

Old 07-27-11, 05:14 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
Sounds like solid advice to me!
Sounds like a future Darwin Award contender to me.

Old 07-28-11, 06:59 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
...My wife (who normally does not cook) will put something on the stove, walk out the back door, change the dog water, keep walking, gather eggs, walk the dogs, trim blueberry bushes and gather the berries, and finally get back inside 2 hours later...
I've lost a few rental houses that way. Most recently the tenant put a big skillet of oil/grease on the stove to fry some chicken then decided it would be easier to go out to KFC. And while out she went to the store and then to hang out at some friend's. When she came back at about 2am the fire was out and the house was gone.

Old 07-28-11, 07:35 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah, she hasn't started any fires yet but that's exactly her behavior - she starts something and then loses interest and walks away. That's on top of very little skill in the first place.

It's to the point I don't let her cook anything at all if I'm home and try to keep it from happening even if I'm not.

Our daughter figured out at about age 2 she wanted her daddy to make her meals....

Old 07-28-11, 05:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Years ago I had a friend who totaled out his Studebaker. His kids weren't hurt but it laid him and his wife up for several months. She went back to work first so he started doing the cooking, come to find out he was a much better cook than his wife.... so that job became his.

I can cook if I have to but my wife's a whole lot better at it than me....... and I wouldn't want her to get any crazy ideas

Old 08-01-11, 02:16 AM
My wife makes meals. I cook a steak or a chicken breast and call it a meal. However, I do most of the roasts and always the turkey suppers.