Problem with this site, Hotmail and IE9

Old 07-31-11, 08:08 AM
Problem with this site, Hotmail and IE9

Do you know if this site is going correct the interface with MSIE 9?
All of my notifications go to hotmail but only Firefox works here for me. So when I get the notice i have to open FF and search for the reply.
I have come here for years and it would be a shame to lose it.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-11, 10:27 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by peterr View Post
Do you know if this site is going correct the interface with MSIE 9?
All of my notifications go to hotmail but only Firefox works here for me. So when I get the notice i have to open FF and search for the reply.
I have come here for years and it would be a shame to lose it.
Thank you
Why don't you use Firefox for accessing Hotmail?

Old 07-31-11, 04:40 PM
browsers

MSIE and FF don't get along.
If you use FF you can't maneuver in Windows products. It won't let you sign out of Hotmail(Windows)in this specific case.

Old 07-31-11, 04:54 PM
Group Moderator
Chrome plays nice with Windows.

Old 07-31-11, 05:57 PM
Group Moderator
MSIE and FF don't get along.
If only one is in use I can't see how one could interfere with the other.
If you use FF you can't maneuver in Windows products.
I'm doubtful of that. Do you have any URLs where this is disscussed? Try asking for Firefox help at Firefox Support • mozillaZine Forums.

Old 08-01-11, 01:20 PM
incompatible

Get a Hotmail which is a .live account. Sign on with Firefox then when you sign off it will say,"Unable to sign off."
You have to sign in with MSIE then sign out.
That is one example of incompatibility.

Old 08-01-11, 03:10 PM
Group Moderator
Just so we are clear on what is happening when you receive a email with a DIY link and you click that link your browser tries to open it with IE and IE doesn't work with this site. Is that correct? If so try reinstalling IE.

Never have used Hotmail but do use Gmail. I never sign out. I just go to another site or close my browser. Are there other users you don't want to have access? Why not in that case just create a password protected user for your use.

OK I Googled ".live account". I had never heard of it. It seems to be some MS thing to get less then savvy users to use Windows sites. I would be extremely surprised if you couldn't set up a Hotmail account without using a .live account. Maybe you can set up an independent account at Hotmail and use Firefox.

Of course the real solution is if a tool doesn't work is get another tool. Have you tried Gmail?

Old 08-01-11, 03:34 PM
accounts

I had issues with Thunderbird, Gecko, Gmail etc so stick with M.S.
I can leave the account without signing out but was just demonstarting the incompatible interface. I admit many peole swear by Gmail and its cousins.
I prefer Windows.
I cannot do with one browser becasue some sites accept MSIE and others FF
Amen

Old 08-01-11, 05:35 PM
Group Moderator
I admit many peole swear by Gmail and its cousins. I prefer Windows.
They are two very different things. One is an operating system and the other is a web site that works in many browsers on several operating systems including Windows. It's like comparing apples to polar bears. Maybe that is the base problem here is you don't know the basics of computers and their use. Sorry to be blunt but I really think the main problem is operator error. The techs for DIY have not had a significant number of complaints about comparability issues with IE9.

Old 08-02-11, 09:35 AM
literary license

I was not speaking in specifics but thought you would recognize that. Windows o.s. operates with diferent browsers.
The whole Gecko Thunderbird Google Gmail family is not an o.s. I think we agree on that. it is just that I prefer Windows Mail and Live accounts to Thunderbird and Gmail.
I think that is just preferential.
More specifically,when I get a reply in my live account which is a type of Hotmail account but with different server, I am directed to the DIY site and its reply. Usually it jumps alot. I then open FF to search for the reply.
I have many forums and contacts who are used to my live account so I keep it.
If the site has had no issues with MSIE 9 then it is on my end and my problem.
I don't think I will establish a new email from which to receive replies.
I think DIY has been a valuable resource for me over the years so will continue to use all aspects of it in the future, and thankfully so.
I hope we coexist with our differences.
I am really not all that illiterate if you were to look my posts over that would be obvious. I am not a tech but have been "messin" around for a decade.

Old 08-02-11, 10:30 AM
Group Moderator
I hope you understand we were frustrated in that we could not recreate the problem in order to help you. Just so you know your complaint was reported to DIY management and researched by an employee of DIY but he found no problem using IE with a link sent to Email. You may want to try reinstalling IE.

Old 08-02-11, 11:14 AM
Group Moderator
I've checked as well and had no difficulties with IE9 or Chrome when following E-mail links in either Earthlink Webmail or Gmail. But you mentioned "it jumps alot". I'm not sure what you mean by that but this site has a lot of rotating banner adds. I wonder if they are causing you a conflict.

Old 08-02-11, 12:49 PM
connectivity

I am sorry for the extra work i have given you all to do.
I am at my daughters and there was no problem at all.
Both my desktop and laptop have the problem which is intermittent but more there than not.
Please consider the issue on my end and do not spend any more time with your end.
Apparently either my settings or something at home is causing the problem.
Thank you very much for the time and effort.
I will be back when i find the fix.
Peter

Old 08-02-11, 01:15 PM
Peterr, since you have two computers at home and both have the same problem you might want to concentrate on the router. You could (temporarily) connect just one computer directly to the modem without the router and see if you still have the problem. If not, then try the second computer and if still no problem then it is almost certainly the router.

Old 08-02-11, 03:13 PM
Group Moderator
If your modem is built into your router you might try using your laptop at your daughter's house.

Who is your ISP? Do you use DSL, Cable, dial-up, or other? Is your Internet connection slower then your daughter's?

Old 08-02-11, 04:25 PM
Ray, how common are modem-router combination units? When I had Comcast for cable Internet service the modem was a separate unit from the router. I have at least one friend with Comcast service that I know has separate modem and router. My FiOS (Frontier, previously Verizon) service APPEARS to have a combined unit but in reality the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) is the modem and the router is a stand-alone unit that is not absolutely necessary for the service.

Maybe JerseyMatt or one of the other members with IT experience can comment.

Old 08-02-11, 05:20 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Furd View Post
Ray, how common are modem-router combination units?
I have what AT&T calls a modem but I consider a one port router. I call it that because it contains the PPPOE firmware to connect to the Internet but only only one connection for Ethernet. I consider a modem to be a dumb device, no firmware, that uses a software program on the computer to connect to the Internet. I even have what I consider a real modem and have used it. Maybe I'm wrong. Heck probably am.

Old 08-03-11, 07:02 AM
Group Moderator
My ex-wife just got DSL last week and I happened to be there when she opened the box so I got stuck installing everything - modem-wireless router combination unit with 4 ethernet ports.