Cars from Cuba

Old 08-04-11, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator
Cars from Cuba

Anyone ever wonder how many great collectible cars might be in Cuba? Old Fords, Chevy's and Caddies? What would happen if trade ever really opened up?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-11, 05:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I suspect that most are held together with baling wire and most of the mechanical/electrical parts are home brewed.

Probably most would be scrapped.

Old 08-04-11, 05:44 PM
Group Moderator
When I was in New Zealand in the early seventies from what I was told there was a 100% import tax on cars not made in New Zealand. The catch to that was there were no car factories in New Zealand.

At least that was an explanation I was given why most of the cars were from the fifties. However those you might have wanted. From what I was told the New Zealanders were fanatics about keeping their cars in excellent shape. While the cars were cheaper then new imports the cost of a good condition older car was high by American standards.

Old 08-04-11, 10:08 PM
I suspect that any car imported to the US now, regardless of age or point of origin, is required to meet any and all current EPA regulations. That alone would put the kibosh on bringing in any old cars from Cuba.

Old 08-05-11, 04:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You been watching too many movies. But wouldn't it be nice to get a nice 57 Chevy in pristine shape? Not likely, as the economy would dictate any cars would be used to haul chickens to market, even if they still ran, and could afford the gas.

Old 08-05-11, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator
Boy...aren't you guys all a bunch of "Debbie Downers"...lol.

Though I think you might be right about most of their conditions. At the same time...they were so simple...it doesn't take much to keep them running.

btw...Furd...I think thats wrong. I read an article not too far back that was talking about older cars, that if they were over 30 yrs old (or 40?) you could import them. Now whether they could be licensed and driven...I dunno. Since the ones I mentioned were made in the US....I bet there would be less issues.

Ahhh just found this....The law says: "any motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old" is not subject to importation restrictions. Interesting.
Buy Classic Cars :: Importing a Classic Car to America

Old 08-05-11, 09:20 AM
Glad to read that I'm wrong on the subject. It isn't the first time I've been wrong and I doubt that it will be the last.

Old 08-05-11, 01:04 PM
Group Moderator
From everything I've read and seen on TV they have old cars in every condition but for the most part they are quite good. Some are restored and are in beautiful condition. Not all the parts are original or even from that make or model, but beautifully restored and maintained none the less. Then there are the ones simply kept running where the body work shows many, many years of wear.

Most of the Cubans with restored cars are well aware of their value. Heck, they are valuable in Cuba so I don't think you could pick one up for a song. You would have to pay dearly to get it from the guy that's been working very hard to keep it alive for 40+ years.

Of course I have never been to Cuba. Catching a flight from Grand Cayman would be illegal for an American Citizen I suppose.

Old 08-05-11, 01:37 PM
Group Moderator
Vic maybe you ought to seek out Canadian friends who work at DMV and Customs. Shouldn't have any trouble getting Towguy to drag it across the border once it has Canadian registration.

Old 08-05-11, 02:44 PM
Group Moderator
I wonder if it could be brought here directly or if it would have to go to a third country first so the car is being imported from Mexico or Canada?

Old 08-05-11, 05:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The southern border is wide open, so I don't see why you couldn't hire 16......................nevermind, I'll get banned for sure!!!