Where to shop

Old 08-07-11, 02:01 PM
Where to shop

I am a die hard diy, I have a lot of toys, that I have bought over the years. 10 years ago, I got a real good deal on a 3 bed room fixer upper, so of course I needed the tools to do all the work needed. Now that most of the work is done, but I still want to use my toys. Where can a diy, buy nails without paying a $100 bucks or more, and need a hand truck to get them to your car. 4000 or 5000 staples, or braids is one thing, I can deal with that. But framing or roofing nails, what diy needs that many. I needed some joist hanger nails, maybe 20 or 30 all together. The smallest I found was a 5 lb box. What happened to the old stores with big bins, and you could get this stuff by the weight.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-11, 03:29 PM
Group Moderator
Your location is not very specific but around me I can buy most nails and screws by the one pound box at the local Menard's. Not sure if the same is true at big orange or blue.

Also around me Fleet Farm sells nuts and bolts by the lb. I seam to remember Tractor Suppily Co. does as well.

Old 08-07-11, 04:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
So you are looking for small quantities. Most hardware stores sell by the pound, and IIRC HD sells 1# boxes of nails. Little expensive per capita, though. I buy by the 50 lb box, or case when I can get a good online deal including shipping. But I use a lot of framing/finish/brad/staples at a time, so I stock pile them when the deals come about.

Old 08-07-11, 04:12 PM
What happened to the old stores with big bins, and you could get this stuff by the weight.
What happened to soda fountains in drug stores?

Old 08-07-11, 05:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ask Justin........... Nevermind, he has no idea!! Probably doesn't even know what a 33 1/3 LP is. Just kiddin' Justin!!!!

Old 08-07-11, 05:58 PM
Ok maybe I didn't explain it right. For the nails you drive with a hammer, I can get in small boxes. But for my air nailers, framing and roofing gun. You can get a few sticks, or coils. It is like a 20 or 30 lb box. And I just don't need, or will use that much.

Old 08-07-11, 08:25 PM
Try a rental store. It's been many years ago but when I rented pneumatic nailers I was able to get open boxes of nails that they weighed before and after, charging me only for what I used. If they still do this then you should be able to purchase just a few pounds at a time.

Old 08-08-11, 04:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When I can, I buy my gun nails at Harbor Freight. Their nails are significantly cheaper than what's available at our local big box store - just be sure you get the right ones for your nail guns. Personally I'd rather have an open box of nails sitting on the shelf for an extended period than have to be bothered to go get some when I need it.

Old 08-11-11, 03:28 PM
I can see having some extra on hand. But a 50 lb box is kind of over kill isn't. My grand children will be using them, if the air nailer still works by then.

Old 08-11-11, 03:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know the weight but a box of HF gun nails has 2000 nails [I think] They run around $25-$30. HF is always having sales or %off coupons - that's generally when I buy nails

Old 08-11-11, 04:31 PM
Group Moderator
Go to the big box stores. I was just there and they have lots of 1lb and 5lb boxes.
Only exception is coil roofing nails

Old 08-11-11, 04:55 PM
I'm in the same boat. I used to buy the 4000 nail boxes on Amazon but now I'm more likely to need just a couple dozen at a time. Last week I ran out of 15 ga finishing nails but I couldn't bring myself to spend $35 on a large box at Big Orange.

I ended up nailing the old fashioned way. Slow but effective. I had forgotten how much I dislike setting nails though.