A/C "Techs"

Old 08-07-11, 04:02 PM
A/C "Techs"

I'm sure that many of them deserve the, often self-annoited, title "techs." (Maybe we here on this forum so annoit them, too.) But others are glorified handymen out for a buck and possibly selling replacement A/Cs. (I, myself, am a DIYer, and would not call myself an A/C "tech" - although some of what I hear about A/C techs disturbs me.)

Some of the good A/C service people are plumbers or elecricians - who don't typically call themselves A/C "techs" - even though in many areas, plumbers and electricians are licensed, but not A/C techs. I would beware of someone who calls himself an A/C Tech without checking further references. A/C repairman or serviceman might be a better title.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-11, 05:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I've never run across a plumber who claimed to be an A/C pro. Where we are, they all have to be licensed and certified in refrigerant recovery. I wouldn't touch HVAC with a 10 ft pole. Just too much outside the parameters of what I do.

Old 08-07-11, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator
Hah!
Pick a trade or area of expertise that this doesn't apply to.
You can be lack-luster in any area.

We have a restaurant here with a certified "chef" who would not cut it at a fast food joint!

Old 08-08-11, 04:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by gilmorrie View Post
A/C repairman or serviceman might be a better title.
If "title" is all you are worried about, yes, check references. Not sure what the title would indicate, but I'd want my "repairman" or "serviceman" certified in his trade.
When I worked for the airlines, they wanted to give me an upgraded job, more responsibility and a fancy title, that possibly would impress someone. No pay increase, so I opted to decline. Titles ain't squat, and you can't buy groceries with it.

Search this Thread