Weather Station?

Old 08-11-11, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator
Weather Station?

Anyone have one? Any good brands you recommend at a reasonable price? Doesn't have to be super fancy. Some sort of link to a PC would be nice...not a deal breaker though.

I have a good accurate wireless outside thermometer and the receivers also have a humidity sensor...but that only tells me inside.

Thx

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-11, 09:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've had a "rat shack" weather radio for a number of years. Still works well and has battery backup.

I have it set to only alert when certain counties have an alert. That way it doesn't trip when the weather bureau alerts counties to the east of me - meaning the weather has passed or missed my location.

I don't know of one which trips a PC, but you could link to the weather.gov site and set a link for your area. Mine shows the local weather, alerts, and has both regional radar and satellite views.

Last edited by goldstar; 08-11-11 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Added paragraph
Old 08-11-11, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator
Sorry...I prob wasn't clear. I meant one that measures windspeed/direction by the spinning anemometer and tailfin....that sort of stuff.

I have weather info on my PC...but I was looking for instant and specific to my location....I could care less about what it's like at the airport or up on the mountain that's is the closest reporting station to me....lol.

Old 08-11-11, 03:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Step one: open window and stick head out.

Results - if your face gets wet - it's raining, if your hair gets messed up - it's windy, if you can see your breath - it's cold.

Step two: close window and open a brew.

Old 08-11-11, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator
LOL...is it ok if I just look out the garage windows? Opening it lets all the hot air in.

Rain I don't care about...doesn't happen often enough to make it an issue.

Mostly this is just for wifey...she doesn't like running in wind...too much dust.

Old 08-11-11, 03:59 PM
Group Moderator
I have had a Weather Channel and a Oregon Scientific brand system. They were about $100-$150 ten years ago and performed reasonably well for a couple years. With each I had one component or another fail within the first year. They were good enough to let me know that I really liked having a weather station.

Five or six years ago I bought a Davis Instruments Vantage Pro and it's still working perfectly. It was more than double the price of the previous systems I had tried and it was worth it. I have the display permanently mounted in the bathroom so I can check the weather as I'm getting ready in the morning. I think the current system is close to $600 these days.

Whatever system you choose, locate your rain sensor somewhere where you can somewhat easily access it. Birds have a bad habit of perching on the sensor and pooping into the gauge, clogging it.

Don't even think of looking at higher end systems unless you are sitting down. They get a comma in the price very quickly.

Old 08-11-11, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator
Thanks PD...I saw the Davis stuff was very highly rated. They have a Vantage Vue now thats a bit simpler.

All I really want in temp, wind, direction, and actual humidity. I'm probably going to do a Xmas wishlist and see what happens. Cheapest I saw was around $200.

No rain problems really...but yeah...bird poop could be an issue.

Old 08-11-11, 06:48 PM
Group Moderator
Oh, but the rain sensor can be very addictive.

How much rain did we get from that storm?

Boy it's coming down hard, how fast is it coming down?

---
I made a ring of spikes around my rain sensor from stainless tig wire to prevent the birds from perching. It's cut down the bird poop clogging to a once or twice a year occurrence.

Old 08-11-11, 07:17 PM
Gunguy -

I am an amateur weatherman and second-guesser. This is because we have a larger metro area with heat islands that frequently give 10F differences from the official reports by the 4 different major stations that each have 5-7 meteorologists because of the 200 mile radius they serve.

The temperature and humidity are not a big problem if you have a proper location and enclosure. I think the official is a white box 6' high with louvers and an open bottom and a neutral colored roof to shed water. I have a cheap (about $50 with base) Taylor remote sensor outside, 6' high with a bit of a roof/lid that is mounted to a post under my deck. The indoor display will handle 2 different remotes. The results are very reliable, but the humidity does have a bit of a time lag.

Wind is a totally different animal. The location and the surrounding structures homes, tall trees, etc are a problem for me. I tried one and found out that moving it 10-20' gave large differences, especially when you have shifting winds and not one strong prevailing wind direction. I have considered a roof mounted sensor for wind speed and direction, but I am not sold on the value, since if we have snow the wind speed and direction depends on the drifts and snow piles(if any). when we have any real weather the wind changes every few minutes here in the "Theater of Seasons". - I guess that is why we like to follow the weather entertainment.

Dick

Old 08-12-11, 05:59 AM
Admin Emeritus
Red face My Two Cents

I have a weather station also. Oregon Scientific brand. Works very well for me and meets all my needs. Not had any problems with it nor any of it's components either. My suggestion regarding weather stations is to buy one that is expandable. What you think you want now might just be the beginning.

If you become hooked on it and want to expand, best to buy one that is capable of adding additional sensors and components to later on. Also be aware, these items can quickly become novelty items and you just might loose interest in it. Spending to much up front may prove to be an unwise investment buying the complete system initially. IMO best to upgrade and add components as your interests develop and or needs require.

If you have a special need for knowing weather conditions around the home or at any remote locations, you'll need one that you can add those additional components to the base unit. In my case I have such needs. Or at least I think I do...

Need to know and want to know weather conditions outside, inside around home as well as at local ocean harbors as well as navigational destination points off shore. From harbors such as Point Conception harbor up North to San Diego harbor down South. Destination points to the Channel Islands, to Catalina harbors and any fishing areas and or points in between them....

Your needs may not match my. But the selection process for the weather station should be the same or nearly the same. Choose wisely. Plan ahead and you'll be miles ahead in the future should needs and/or conditions change......

My Two Cents.............

Old 08-12-11, 04:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Concretemasonry View Post
.... . we have a larger metro area with heat islands.... Dick
Yeah, we had them to when I worked at the airport.....They were called 9L and 27R Why do they take weather at the most ill place on earth to take it? Flat, hot, windy, not like the rest of the city.

Old 08-12-11, 07:00 PM
They take it there (airport) for the official records because of the need to compare to the historical records at the request of Al Gore and the global warming claims a few years ago and it has been maintained, although all the TV stations show all the other metropolitan temperatures that are somewhat different. The airport is not that far out of town, but is where it has been. Metropolitan growth in all cities has changed the local weather patterns leading to larger differences across the current populated areas that kind of affects the reliability of the old records.

Some cities have "lake effects", but even in Minnesota (without a major lake near the majority of the population) there are some consistent differences. All of the nasty, sloppy heavy snows are fed by southern or SSW winds and head east and slightly north into Wisconsin and southern Minnesota. The northern half of the metro area, for some reason, has more influence from the drier cold from the NW and the temps are slightly colder, snow is lighter and the storms are more predictable. - I guess that is why it is the "Theater of Seasons" and why so much local money is invested in meteorologists and the interest in weather conditions/predictions by the public. - A month ago the "official" temperature was 103F and where I live, 20 miles NE of there the temperature only got up to 90F while I watched the planes going over. It was still warm, but we had less humidity.

All of this gets people more interested into measuring climatic conditions locally to get an understanding.

chandler - North of of MSP up to the Canadian border, the people are proud of the record lows. I went to work (when living 200 miles north) one morning and the inside car windows froze up in the low dips in the road and when we got to the plant site on the ridge, it was -52F at the official weather station and everyone was in town for a celebration that night.

Dick