Strange People at my address

Old 08-16-11, 08:39 AM
Question Strange People at my address

Why would I be receiving mail addressed to people I do not know?
Unfamiliar name with my current address that have never lived here.
I have checked with PO and they have no idea.
I have received about three in the 18 months I have lived here.
Most are Credit Card Offers
It's no big deal----I just wonder how many of you receive this type mail

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-11, 08:56 AM
Group Moderator
Just write "Refused' on the envelope without opening it and put it in your outgoing mail.

Really, though, you have the free time to think about something like this? I'm envious.

Old 08-16-11, 08:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A year and a half isn't all that long for the mail to get straightened out. I bought my place 20 yrs ago and haven't got mail addressed to someone else in a long time. My youngest son bought his house 3 yrs ago and still gets mail addressed to the previous owner and others. I would assume the others were previous owners/tenants that lived there 10 or so yrs ago.

The same thing can be said about a phone number, it isn't uncommon to get calls for someone else the 1st few yrs you have that number.

Companies get/buy their advertising lists from different sources and I suspect they pay for a certain number of names/addresses and those that sell the addresses really don't care if the info is still correct.

Old 08-16-11, 09:12 AM
I have lived at my present location for 6 years and still get mail addressed to previous occupants, so it does take time.

My real puzzle is getting mail addressed to my previous wife (we got divorced 22 years ago after 25 years of marriage) and it is addressed to here maiden name that she went back to after the divorce, because my new wife (now of 20 years) has the same first name. Since the divorce, I have lived in MN, CT, VA, MI and now MN again.

Every time we get one, we laugh, save it and then take it over to the first wife when we go to her house for a social event and then everyone can laugh since we are all good friends. The children and grandchildren refer to them as Grandma Joy and JoyJoy (sometimes Joy1 and Joy2).

I bet the computers had to work overtime for a year or two to create that funny mistake.

Dick

Old 08-16-11, 09:30 AM
I've lived in my present house since December of 1999 and I still get mail for the previous owners. They stayed in the general area when they moved so I would assume they retained the same optometrist but I get a reminder every year for the little girl (who I'm sure isn't all that little anymore). I still get Christmas cards for them too and IRS mailings along with airline frequent flyer reports.

For the first four or five years I would tape a revised address to the envelope and drop it in the outgoing slot. Then for a few years I would write MOVED on the envelope and drop it in the outgoing slot. Now I just toss it in the recycle bin.

The strangest mail I get is from Lowes addressed to Marquis Homes. They will offer me some kind of contractor financing or a certain percentage off regular prices if I buy a large quantity of something. Researching back through several previous owners never reveals any Marquis Homes so I have no idea.

Old 08-16-11, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
A year and a half isn't all that long for the mail to get straightened out. I bought my place 20 yrs ago and haven't got mail addressed to someone else in a long time. My youngest son bought his house 3 yrs ago and still gets mail addressed to the previous owner and others. I would assume the others were previous owners/tenants that lived there 10 or so yrs ago.

The same thing can be said about a phone number, it isn't uncommon to get calls for someone else the 1st few yrs you have that number.

Companies get/buy their advertising lists from different sources and I suspect they pay for a certain number of names/addresses and those that sell the addresses really don't care if the info is still correct.
As I stated--I checked with the two POs and they have never heard of Ezequiela Sierra!!

Old 08-16-11, 09:24 PM
I occasionally get mail for my Grandmother who passed away several years ago - way before we even moved into this house. Figure that one out.

Old 08-16-11, 10:00 PM
Seems to me the postal service only goes by the address, the name on the top means nothing as in "blah blah or current resident".

Old 08-16-11, 10:01 PM
I would get notices from TV Guide sent to my mother to renew her subscription and my mother died more than a year before I moved to this house.

Old 08-17-11, 07:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Similarly, I would get credit card applications from big banks to my MIL. I called them on several occasions and told them she was infirm, not working, in a nursing home, couldn't pay a bill if she had to, and to stop sending the applications. Finally, since wifey had POA, I told them we would go ahead and accept their offer, run up tremendous bills, not pay them and tell them to kiss our grits. We stopped getting offers not only from the big bank, but from every other bank, as well. I guessed their marketing was all tied together. Letting people assume you are a little crazy helps.
We still get membership applications wanting us to "re-up" our membership at Bally's. Haven't stepped foot in a Bally's in over 20 years. This is 4 houses ago. Persistent little buggers.

Old 08-18-11, 06:17 AM
IMO, marketing has gone completely crazy. Those calls where there is no one there, they just identified you as answering the phone at a certain time of day and then sell that information to the robocallers so they can target live numbers. EVERYTHING we do is being saved and codified for resale. Sorry
Giles, as long as they aren't using your name and credit rating it is just an annoyance. I wonder if these people are using targeted/random addresses to provide a proof of residence?

Bud

Old 08-18-11, 07:47 PM
We still get membership applications wanting us to "re-up" our membership at Bally's. Haven't stepped foot in a Bally's in over 20 years. This is 4 houses ago. Persistent little buggers.
What's bally's?

Old 08-19-11, 03:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It is a fitness center chain. Yes, in my younger years I was a lean, mean racing machine......yeah right!!

Old 08-19-11, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
It is a fitness center chain. Yes, in my younger years I was a lean, mean racing machine......yeah right!!
Ok. I've never heard of it.