How Times Have Changed

Old 08-21-11, 05:45 PM
How Times Have Changed

Stimulating Tonic? Is that for the baby or the mother?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-11, 06:32 PM
I love the telephone number. When I worked for the electric utility we had an elevator cage that had been made by the Novelty Ornamental iron & Wire works and their telephone number was BEacon 56.

Old 08-21-11, 06:49 PM
When I was a child I think our number was randolph 2158 or something like that. Then that was a party line so that was kind of interesting.

Old 08-22-11, 04:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The Atlanta suburbs grew so fast in the 50's, our original phone number was 3784, then they added a prefix of 7-3784....then another designator GLendale 7-3784. ... then they dropped the Glendale and it became 457-3784. Of course there were no area codes, either. This all happened within probably a 10 year period. When area codes DID come on the scene, all of north Georgia, above Macon was area code 404. Too many to count, now.
Aaaaah, Atlanta. As stated before, the best picture I ever saw........Atlanta in my rearview mirror!!

Old 08-22-11, 01:28 PM
When direct dialing was introduced they used 10,000 "locations" switches (numbers 0000 through 9999) at the central office. Often if dialing within the CO all that was necessary was to dial the last four digits. When direct dialing was expanded to inter-office dialing (from one CO to another) they needed a "prefix" number to direct the call to an inter-office switch. Eventually as more and more subscribers were added they had to add more digits for more CO inter-office switches.

The central office name, the MAin, Mutual, LAkeside, MElrose and the like were the names of the various central offices. Of course the switches could not differentiate between letters and numbers so as far as the automated switching networks were concerned it was always all-digit dialing. The central office names usually had some kind of connection to the area in which the CO was located such as MAin was in the central business district, LAkeside was near a lake, MOrningside was in the Morningside neighborhood, etc. Going to all-digit dialing was because they couldn't think up any more area-specific names that were meaningful and also because new COs were being installed taking over several smaller COs and so the name became irrelevant.

It was about 1958 when Seattle went to 7-digit dialing and at that time Washington state had only two area codes, one east of the mountains and one west. I don't know how many area codes we have now but it is more than four just on the west side of the state.

Old 08-22-11, 01:35 PM
Group Moderator
Love the Blatz ad; my Dad drank Blatz when I was a kid in Wisconsin. I take the ad to mean that if the Mom drinks it, baby gets nutritional benefits via breast feeding. Like to see a beer company try that ad campaign today.

My phone # as a kid was 5413.

Old 08-22-11, 07:07 PM
I take the ad to mean that if the Mom drinks it, baby gets nutritional benefits via breast feeding. Like to see a beer company try that ad campaign today.
Thats what I think too.

Nowadays, It says NOT to drink if you're pregnant or breastfeeding.

Old 08-23-11, 04:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, if a mother did as that ad says today - she'd probably get arrested for child abuse

If I remember correctly, Blatz was one of the cheaper beers. I remember drinking Blatz but it never was my favorite brand. Do they still sell it? I've not seen any in a long time ...... but then I did quit drinking almost 20 yrs ago

Old 08-23-11, 07:43 AM
Group Moderator
I was about 3 when they stopped selling paregoric over the counter. My mother was irate. How could you raise a kid with out paregoric when they are teething or fussy. To this day i can remember the taste of paregoric on my gums.

Give a kid a camphorated tincture of opium now peopled have you hauled off to court but my mother was a turn of the century born woman from the back woods of Kentucky where such things were commonly used. Even our old family doctor prescribed a teaspoon of brandy when I had a cold. No this wasn't country this was the big city of Chicago but the doctor graduated med school before the century turned twenty. Paregoric - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-23-11, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator
I remember my Mom giving me Terpin Hydrate with codeine when I would have a bad cough/cold (which I had a lot til I got my tonsils out at 18). All she had to do was ask at the counter and sign for it. Seemed like it was the best out there at controlling it...or could it have been that it just knocked me out...lol?

I asked if it was still available about 10 yrs ago and the young lady pharmacist had to get the old guy from the back to tell her what it even was.

And yes....I can still absolutely remember what it tasted like.