Haircut: How Much to Tip

Old 08-23-11, 05:48 PM
Group Moderator
Haircut: How Much to Tip

For 3 decades I had my hair cut by a barber who owned his own shop so $6 and no tip. Since he retired I've tried two barber shops. Both were $10 plus of course a tip. I tipped $2 figuring 20% was fair. A big hit for me being use to paying $6 and no tip plus I really didn't like them that much. Today I found a new place I really like staffed by several very friendly madrecita type ladies. Really a beauty shop that cuts men's hair also.

Now here is oddly the problem they only charge $4 for a regular haircut. I know these ladies probably rent the chairs. I don't know what percentage of that $4 they get. Certainly 20% isn't enough to tip. I tipped $2 but I wonder if that is really enough. I wonder if they are relying on tips only for their income. I'm actually considering I ought to tip at least $4 or $5.

Since this is more beauty shop then barber shop perhaps the ladies have a better insight. I definitely liked my haircut and will go back. I just want to know what is fair.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-11, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator
Wow, $4! They must be from the wrong century, lol. How can they stay in business at that price?
Anyways, if they did a decent job, I'd tip at least $4 or $5. $9 is still a bargain IMO. If they come to their senses down the road, then go back to the 20%.

Old 08-23-11, 06:27 PM
Group Moderator
My barber is a woman, she charges $12 for men, and I tip her $2. IMO it's kinda like a restaurant where 15%-18% is pretty standard for a tip.

But man, $4 is crazy cheap. I'd give them a $10 and tell them to keep the change. Especially if they're cute! LOL

Old 08-23-11, 07:32 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, I'm setting here feeling guilty. Will definitely give them a ten next time.

Old 08-23-11, 07:46 PM
Group Moderator
If you like the cut and the atmosphere I would like to think double is fine. ($8) Of course maybe more if their cute! $4 haircut is stupid cheap. IF I had a place like that I would tell my wife to hang up her clippers.

Old 08-23-11, 07:51 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
IF I had a place like that I would tell my wife to hang up her clippers.
If there was a place like that where *I* live, I'd ask if they give massages! LOL

Old 08-24-11, 06:50 AM
For several years I got my hair cut by a Korean lady that had her own single chair shop. She not only gave a great haircut but it was always accompanied by a neck and shoulder massage. I don't remember what it costs, but it was worth it.

Old 08-24-11, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator
Base exchange at Subic Bay Naval Base PI. 1978 or so. Haircut, shave, head/neck/shoulder/arm/hand massage, boot shine.....for about $5+ $1 tip as I remember.

15 yrs later Manama Bahrain...a guy that had been stationed there took me to his barber in the sook(sp?). Down the street, in the alley, around the corner, under the awning, etc, etc. 1 chair...carpets and pillows all over, incense, tea kettle, some sort of little stove. No electric clippers...just the hand type and scissors. Haircut and shave, head and shoulder massage, plenty of hot sweet tea, some sort of fresh roasted nuts....took over 45 min for the whole thing. Around $12-14....no tip needed. Unbelievable! Buddy said he got a H/C every Friday when stationed there...just to relax.

Old 08-24-11, 03:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Brant, don't laugh about massages! Wifey gave me one for birthday present several years ago.....answer....do I look like someone who will get a massage??? I don't think soooooo! Been going every month since then. They charge $55, and I tip $5 and she protests. It's my end of the month, end of the week, end of the day, don't mess with me time.
Sorry, Ray, off topic. I cut my own hair...#2 guard, hey it ain't rocket science.

Old 08-24-11, 04:10 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks all for the input.

Old 08-25-11, 12:34 AM
Four bucks is cheap. You wouldn't be almost bald would you Ray?

I think 4 dollars is too cheap for anything. I'd go with the 8 bucks. Sheesh, you only go every 5 or 6 weeks probably so whats a couple bucks over that time.

Old 08-25-11, 04:38 AM
Group Moderator
Think I would just round it off at $10 and if their prices go up a couple of bucks, just continue @ $10; it'll all even out.

Vic - They must have known the surface swabbies @ Subic were gullible ; at the Cubi Point exchange, circa earlier 80's (it got more expensive later), haircut was $.90. It was all scissor work and they were good. Never got a shoeshine or a massage, but I don't think it would have run the cost up to $5+. Haircut in Japan, almost always lady barbers at the MCX, always included neck rub and was much more expensive than the PI.

Old 08-26-11, 11:34 AM
I get my hair cut by a woman that is a one-person shop in a very small town. She charges $12 for men's haircuts and for years, I've added a $3 tip to make it an even $15. She stays late on the evenings I'm coming in, since it's usually 5:30 PM when I make it in after work. That kind of personal service is worth a bit.

Old 08-26-11, 12:44 PM
Pay what it is worth to you and get a person that will be around and not go from shop to shop like they do in the franchised "clip" joints. Also, give them a number after you have confidence to contact you and remind you are probably looking "shaggy".

Get her/him to learn what you want and just keep coming back or know where they are.

Dick