"Irene" How is the east coast doing?

Old 08-27-11, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator
"Irene" How is the east coast doing?

Well...here in central NJ as of 6pm we are just getting heavy rain. Slight breeze.

The bad part is Irene will not hit NJ till late night early morning.

May not get much sleep tonight... Uggg.

Did get to the store earlier and as usuall everyone must be home making french toast......

I dont understand the bread,eggs, and milk thing. Must just be me.

Mike NJ

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-11, 03:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
"bread,eggs, and milk thing"

I know what you mean, around here every time they call for a significant amount of snow - they all make a run on the stores for those items

We are too far west for the storm to affect us much although it has been quite breezy today. I had planned to paint the fence behind the house today but the dark clouds worried me....... but we've not got the 1st drop yet

Old 08-27-11, 05:38 PM
I don't get the bread milk eggs either. The milk and eggs would just go bad with no power. You would think cereal and canned soup and such.

Old 08-27-11, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator
..............................I was trying to find the embedded radar site.......................................

Last edited by lawrosa; 08-27-11 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-27-11, 07:10 PM
Group Moderator
Pretty good radar via NWS:

NWS radar image loop of Composite Reflectivity from Dover Air Force Base, DE

We get the doubled insurance rates and you guys up there get the earthquake and hurricane. Go figure.

Old 08-27-11, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Pretty good radar via NWS:

NWS radar image loop of Composite Reflectivity from Dover Air Force Base, DE

We get the doubled insurance rates and you guys up there get the earthquake and hurricane. Go figure.
It wasnt much of an earthquake. Not too much of a hurricane either. We did have a tornado in the spring, though.

Old 08-28-11, 08:07 PM
Well Mike, are you under water or what? I see on the news today there are some rivers with no place to go but sideways. Not good.

"bread,eggs, and milk thing"
I think some people have their priorities way off. For me it would be Camels, PBR and dog food in that order.

Old 08-28-11, 08:18 PM
Here in the south western end of New Jersey (60 miles in-land from the Atlantic Ocean) my little township was spared. We were very, very blessed....didn't lose power and no wind or water damage, however we did have to cut our vacation short and evacuate from Ocean City, NJ.
The worst of it arrived about 9pm and calmed down about 11pm. I wish I could say the same for thousands of other people in a 60 mile radius of me. Many have lost everything or at the least flooded out basements, some lost their lives.

What a week......first a 5.9 earthquake then Irene.

BTW........."D" batteries, water, generators and wet/dry shop vacs were completely sold out everywhere.
Grocery stores early Friday morning looked like Christmas eve......not one parking spot was open and lines at every gas station. Pandemonium was all around pre-Irene.

Last edited by Mackey; 08-28-11 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-28-11, 08:44 PM
Glad you made it through it. I don't know....I gripe about snow and cold but at least with a blizzard you can think about it for a while, get dressed and then start up the snowblower and it doesn't fill your basement.

Old 08-28-11, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator
Ahhh... just a few sticks in the yard.

No flooding....

Power stayed on so I could not use my gen.... ( Wife thinks I am crazy when I wish for power outages.)

Full well stocked fridge....
( Making french toast tomorrow morning if anyone wants some. Cant let the bread, milk and eggs go bad.)

Cars all full of petrol..... ( Some local stations ran out of regular. Had to but another grade. )

I wonder when they calculate the money this hurricane cost they factor in what homeowners spent on goods?

Do you think it should boost the economy? Its consumer good right?

I wonder how much money the governers helicopter ride costs today when he was flying around surveying the damage.

And what the Heck did Cumo do? ( NY Gov.) I did not see him on the news at all. Could not get Christie off the TV regardless what channel I turned too. Christie told everyone on the news conference to " Get the Hell of the beaches" He also called a couple of people Dopes....

This guy will be president one day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHy6S5u7M3w&feature=player_embedded#! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5eFFYiw8SI&feature=player_embedded Mike NJ

Last edited by lawrosa; 08-28-11 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-29-11, 06:37 PM
In my little town, there was little rain, not too much wind(although my indian corn got ruined), and the power didnt go out(which is rare, our power goes out on sunny days.)
Everywhere else, everything is ruined, the poco has a crew coming in from kentucky, with noone having power.

Old 09-03-11, 11:09 AM
We got a bit of wind Saturday night through Sunday mid-day along with a couple of inches of rain. Downed trees closed roads and local PW guys couldn't clear them for days because they couldn't find a POCO crew to tell them it was safe. Maybe a few gusts in the 60-70 mph range - and we were without power for 6 friggen' days!!! We got TV/internet service back on day 7.

Our oversized (in everything except line crews it seems), management bloated, suit dominated, POCO is worthless. They were a bigger disaster than the storm.

Old 09-03-11, 07:10 PM
Our oversized (in everything except line crews it seems), management bloated, suit dominated, POCO is worthless. They were a bigger disaster than the storm.
I think they're all like that

Old 09-03-11, 09:35 PM
We got TV/internet service back on day 7
Oh my, I don't know what I'd do. Maybe lay on the floor in the fetal position humming the theme song to Gunsmoke.

Heard on the news today the depression in the gulf could head up the east coast with more rain, just what you don't need.

Seems cruel that Texas, dry as a popcorn fart, needs the rain and it goes everywhere but there.

Old 09-04-11, 06:10 AM
All this weather can be attributed to global warming caused by our irresponsible burning of fossil fuels - NOT.

I heard a global warming "expert" on a radio talk show and he was blaming Irene on global warming. He said that unless man quit using fossil fuels we're all gonna' die. The talk show host asked him what caused the hurricanes that happened hundreds of years ago. He hesitated, sputtered a bit and blamed them on sunspots and volcanoes.

Old 09-04-11, 09:52 AM
Wayne, we're all going to die anyway. Now maybe this expert didn't explain it very well but global climate change has been linked to an increase in both the number and the severity of storms, especially along our Atlantic coast. It has to do with changing ocean currents.

Global climate change IS happening. Now whether or not it is happening as a natural cycle or if human activities are causing it to happen more quickly or some other other mechanism is at work I don't know but denying that it is happening is NOT a valid response.

Old 09-05-11, 06:41 AM
It's all happening as it has for thousands of years. We're just going through a warm cycle, which will be followed by a cool cycle.

Old 09-05-11, 07:24 AM
I don't think there is any doubt that we are currently going through a "warming cycle", certainly not in my mind. What IS in doubt is whether or not humans are contributing to any significant amount in speeding up this cycle.

People far smarter than I have made computer models that seem to prove that the rate at which the climate is changing is unprecedented and further that it is because of the industrialization of the last two centuries that is driving this increased rate of change. As I understand the problem it is this increased rate of change that may be under control of humans. One thing that I know for certain is that a "head in the sand" denial is NOT the answer.

Old 09-05-11, 10:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I think Furd hit it on the head. It is not Global Warming.....it is climate change. Even Al gore backed off on his stance with that one, knowing the climate changes in both directions. He HAD to, standing in 5' of snow at a Global Warming Conference. Head in the sand denial is not the answer, just like a head up the *** thinking we will die off in the third generation if we don't act before tomorrow night. We should acknowledge the industrial age is having an impact, and we need to take a look at things. But don't scare me into thinking cow poop is a major source of pollution, and that we can possibly legislate it.

Old 09-05-11, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator
Here is some good reading.

Global Warming:A Chilling Perspective

I know from what I read that the air samples taken from thousands of years ago are from glaciers. Like rock the bottom layers represent the yrs before we were around.

They test these air pockets that have trapped air from all different stages of time. They test what the co2 levels were.

Its a matter of whos chart you want to believe.

I guess go hug a tree if you feel the need....

Mike NJ