Bored? Like Planes?

Old 08-31-11, 12:44 PM
Bored? Like Planes?

Found this place where you can listen to just about any airport tower, bigger ones anyway. Tuned in Minneapolis tower yesterday and it was just silent. Crash?

Then I went to this other place where you can see the planes and where they came from and where they're going.....

There were a bunch of planes going in circles over central Wisconsin, another bunch over southern Minnesota and another bunch over western Minnesota! What, never seen that before.....must be a crash! Finally, the tower speaks up, "Air Force One, clear for takeoff."

Ah, that explains it. Kind of cool if you like that sort of thing.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-11, 03:26 PM
Group Moderator
Sounds fun. URL for the flight radio please.

Old 08-31-11, 05:07 PM
It can be interesting for about an hour and it's different.

Listen to Live ATC (Air Traffic Control) Communications | LiveATC.net

Over on flightaware I'm tracking my son's girlfriend coming from Miami to Minneapolis. They have a map with the different airport abbreviations. KMSP = Minneapolis.

Beats watching Golden Girls.

Old 08-31-11, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator
Jeez...I'm sure it's interesting...but sounds like it could be a real resource for those with bad intentions?

Old 09-01-11, 09:32 AM
Group Moderator
Probably not a big security issue as you could easily buy a radio and listen in from the local area and the frequencies themselves are public info. The thought did my cross mind though, too.

Old 09-01-11, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator
I guess I always assumed that sort of stuff had some sort of encryption. Too much time in in dark rooms with everyone wearing headsets and red phones everywhere I guess.

Old 09-01-11, 11:26 AM
Group Moderator
Ok, I tried to listen, but I can only understand about a quarter of what they are saying.
Where did you find the map? I might be better just looking at the pictures.

Old 09-01-11, 12:07 PM
Group Moderator
My family, friends and I use FlightAware to keep track of each other.

Speaking of AF1 I got delayed in Miami a few months ago because it. No movements air or ground once that 747 becomes Air Force One and they are safely out of the area.

Old 09-01-11, 12:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Good thing about ATL, they don't use ATL, but Dobbins Air Force Base in Marietta on the north side. They just route flights from ATL east and west until all is clear. Still messes up ground traffic, but, nowadays, who cares? Our little rush hour lasts 5 minutes

Old 09-01-11, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
Ok, I tried to listen, but I can only understand about a quarter of what they are saying.
Where did you find the map? I might be better just looking at the pictures.
Them people do talk fast. Maps are at flightaware. If you sign up for free, the maps will refresh every minute or so. Just a couple easy questions like name, zip.

You can set alerts for a flight if you have someone coming. They'll send an email when the flight plan is logged, when they take off and when they land.

Old 09-02-11, 04:34 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
Mostly vector (direction) orders or altitude changes. Also frequency changes or transponder codes ("squawk 1234") and altimeter settings (pressure altitude) at the reporting airport ("altimeter two-niner point eight two" - 29.82"). When you hear "heavy" it's a big boy, 747 and similar. "Flight level" is altitude in hundreds, i.e. flight level 230 is 23,000 feet. Aviation lingo is pretty strange and when a controller really rattles it off it can sound like a Martian on drugs.

Old 09-02-11, 09:59 AM
Group Moderator
Many of the airlines do not use their airline name on the radio. Some like Delta and American will say "Delta 3520..." but some like like Air Tran have seemingly unrelated names. Air Tran goes by Critter which goes back to when they were Value Jet and had that little critter thing on their tail.

Also confusing is that some frequencies have part of the frequency omitted from transmissions. Instead of saying the full frequency for ground control after you land they often say ".... contact ground point niner" and it's up to the pilot to know the rest.

Old 09-02-11, 10:25 AM
"turn 127, clear for takeoff"

I'd guess that means once in the air they turn to that heading?

Old 09-02-11, 11:39 AM
Group Moderator
Or "Turn 127" is the callsign. Would have expected to hear something like "Contact departure control on 126.5" following the clearance for takeoff.

Old 09-02-11, 01:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
This is slightly off topic as these guys seldom ask for clearance.
They can take off and land on a quarter and give you fifteen cents change.

Valdez, Alaska STOL competition.

4um: Doyle, Cuzoom Win Annual Valdez STOL Competition

Old 09-02-11, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator
Jeez...they must have stall speeds of about a walking pace....!