Enough!

Old 09-07-11, 05:30 PM
Enough!

Is it just me or are we getting waaay too much rain? It seems like it's not stopping. All of the creeks are overflowed and some roads are a foot under at spots.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-11, 06:31 PM
Group Moderator
Talk to Texas. They would tend to disagree.

Old 09-07-11, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator
Too much rain yes.

The acorns have been falling a week or two now.

I think we are in for it this winter.

Buy your snow blowers now.... Dont wait until they are all off the shelfs like the generators were during "Katrina".

Mike NJ

Old 09-08-11, 04:39 AM
Group Moderator
Even considering we normally get a little shower most afternoons this time of year, yes I could do with a little less. TS Lee that went up through the lower South and up the Northeast is still dragging moisture across Florida from the Gulf. Had 3" Tuesday and less amounts last couple of days; 60% chance of rain today and already had some sprinkles. No chance of flooding at least.

Old 09-08-11, 05:24 AM
The East Coast is suffering from the residue of 2 hurricanes/tropical storms in a row. The northeast in particular is getting drenched. However, I suspect if you look at overall annual rainfall it's probably close to the average.

Old 09-08-11, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator
Dont wait until they are all off the shelfs like the generators were during "Katrina".
"IRENE"...LOL. I got my hurricanes mixed up....

Mike NJ

Old 09-08-11, 05:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It seems while one region gets too much rain, there is always another that is suffering from a drought
Overall this year we are running a few inches over the normal rain fall but the last month has been a little dry. I haven't mowed in 2 weeks but all the rain we've gotten this week has turned my grass back to green ....... and I need to mow if it ever gets dry

Old 09-08-11, 08:16 AM
Hasn't rained here in over a week. Record temperatures the next few days, in the lower eighties.

Old 09-08-11, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator
I'd take anything that anyone wants to send this way. Further south is getting it pretty good...but all it does is run off and flood roads....but we haven't gotten anything. The valleys to each side seem to channel it. Good for the aquifer, not so great that I still have to water every other day.

Not as bad as Texas is having it...but we could use a little.

Old 09-08-11, 08:29 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
Talk to Texas. They would tend to disagree.
Grass dead, farmers feeding stock rice silage because hay died in the fields, no significant rain for the year, one quarter of the state ravaged by many wildfires still burning. No one here would complain about rain.

Old 09-08-11, 08:58 AM
I've been hearing thunder for the last few minutes.

Oops, here comes the rain!

Old 09-08-11, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator
I've never seen anything like this! We've had about 10" in one week. Philly and suburbs getting hit the hardest, I think. Almost all the major roads were closed this morning and areas that never flood, are flooding. Trees falling, cars floating away and homes with several inches of water inside, and cars on their porches.
I live high up, and still water's coming in my basement, which I've never, ever seen before.
While I feel very bad for all the areas with severe drought, all this rain is no picnic.

Old 09-08-11, 09:29 AM
Grass dead, farmers feeding stock rice silage because hay died in the fields, no significant rain for the year, one quarter of the state ravaged by many wildfires still burning. No one here would complain about rain.
I'll gladly give yous some rain down there. We're sick of it. The whole town's flooded and school's closed. (my house is on a hill)

The acorns have been falling a week or two now.

I think we are in for it this winter.

Buy your snow blowers now.... Dont wait until they are all off the shelfs like the generators were during "Katrina".
I think we're going to have an early fall and a bad winter too. At least I'll get to make some money shovelin'.

Old 09-08-11, 10:58 AM
Some people wonder why I (and many others) live in the land of rain. Truth is, while Seattle is ranked among the top ten of least sunniest places in the country we don't get that much rain. Ten inches is a full months worth of rain during the rainy season, which stretches from about October through June.

The thunderstorm this morning dropped only enough rain to dampen the deck. Predicted temperature for this afternoon is 81 degrees.

Old 09-08-11, 04:28 PM
2 hour delay tomorrow....

Last edited by Justin Smith; 09-08-11 at 04:30 PM. Reason: wrong smilie
Old 09-08-11, 06:32 PM
Seattle is in the "barely damp" area of the state although compared to Spokane some might consider it wet. Seattle gets quite a bit less rain than we get in CT. The real wet side of the state is on the west side of the Olympics. Ya' gotta have gills to live over there.

Old 09-08-11, 08:02 PM
Very true, Wayne. Seattle and its suburbs gets around 35 to 40 inches of rain yearly vs. the Olympic Rain Forest that gets upwards of 110 inches yearly. The thing about Seattle is that while it doesn't rain very much, it rains all the time.

Old 09-09-11, 08:09 AM
I've done a bit of fishing and hunting on the west slope of the Olympics. I even let some one talk me into camping there once. I can't remember a day when it didn't rain. One of my distinct memories was trying to light a camp fire using a pile of parking tickets that was the only thing dry (and expendable :NO NO NO that we could come up with.

I lived in Seattle for a year and actually enjoyed the weather - and the city.

Old 09-09-11, 08:38 AM
So very true about starting a campfire, several years ago I had a several day power outage and tried to light a fire in my fireplace. I had some ten-year-dead wood on my back porch that should have only been wet with rainwater but it was wet clear to the core, some four inches!

When did you live in Seattle? I moved out over thirty years ago and never looked back. I now live in Bothell, Snohomish County, about ten miles northeast of Seattle. I wouldn't live in Seattle these days on a bet. Mostly for political reasons but also the gangs.

Old 09-10-11, 09:18 AM
So very true about starting a campfire, several years ago I had a several day power outage and tried to light a fire in my fireplace. I had some ten-year-dead wood on my back porch that should have only been wet with rainwater but it was wet clear to the core, some four inches!
I could get that to burn like dry newspaper!

Old 09-10-11, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator
So we ended up having over 25" of rain since the beginning of August. This is usually our dry month. Central PA had about 15" of rain just this week and the Philly area got a little over 12" . Roads and bridges actually washed away.
Shame we can't siphon it down to Texas.

Old 09-10-11, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Shadeladie View Post
So we ended up having over 25" of rain since the beginning of August. This is usually our dry month. Central PA had about 15" of rain just this week and the Philly area got a little over 12" . Roads and bridges actually washed away.
Shame we can't siphon it down to Texas.
We got it bad here, too although I think up north got it worse. People's sump pumps are still running-ouch!

You texans need it bad. Any of you in the wildfire area? I sure hope not.