Messy shops.

Old 09-14-11, 12:16 PM
Messy shops.

Handyman663 has suggested a topic of messy shops. He said he will will put his shop up against anyone.

So let's post those messy shop pictures! I'll add one later today as I've already spent too much time here and need to get out before the afternoon traffic picks up.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-11, 01:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
After I had 2 helpers spend 8 hours cleaning mine up to where you could walk in it, and you want messy shop pictures !!!!!!???? Give it a week

Old 09-14-11, 03:01 PM
Okay, here are some pictures of my shop area. It's a standard two-car garage.

I should be out there right now moving junk around or assembling the storage rack I bought last week or filling up the car for a trip to the dump. Truth is, I feel more like going back to bed.

Old 09-14-11, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
Thank heavens you are saving that alligator skin hand bag......Dohhhh!!!!!! ( 2nd to last pic..)

Is that where you keep the loot? Actually my friend has a bag like that but its full of "Jack Daniels". His wife never looks in it. She just thinks its a bag.....

Mike NJ

Old 09-14-11, 03:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is it possible to have a clean shop

I swore when I quit working I was going to get my shop cleaned up. Seems like I can get halfway there and something breaks down, or the kids drop something off - always something that puts it going the wrong direction

I painted a new house for a lawyer who had a workbench built in his 3 car garage. I stained it and applied 3 coats of poly.... it looked sharp but I'm not sure if it ever got used other than to set shopping bags on while they unlocked the door

Old 09-14-11, 04:26 PM
NJT
I noticed that bag too! I want it! Furd, if it turns up missing, you will know I was there.

Sorry Furd, I think I've got ya beat. Maybe not in the messy aspect... probably about equal, but the sheer size difference, definitely. FOUR car garage... with 3 attached 'rooms'. All in all, about 2400 sq ft of what you have!

Yeah, I know, yer gonna call me to the carpet to post some pics, aren't ya? Maybe this weekend if I remember.

BTW, I was just watchin' American Pickers, and the guys got a call from Danielle that they should head over to the 'wet side of WA state' ... DON'T LET THEM HAVE THAT BAG!

Old 09-14-11, 04:26 PM
Mike/Trooper, I've had that bag for over thirty years and it was old when I got it. I use it to hold my telephone specialty tools so I have no intention of ever getting rid of it.

2400 square feet! Dayum, that's almost 25% more than my entire house and garage.

Old 09-14-11, 04:37 PM
NJT
Yeah, bleeve it or not... and it is larger than the attached house too. It was FULL of junk when I moved in 25 years ago. I had to get two 11 yard dempsey's and FILLED them. It looked pretty good for about a year or so... and now 25 years later, right back to where it was.

Funny thing about junk... it seems to compress under it's own weight. When you first remove a few tons, it looks pretty good for a few hours... but then the stuff that was on the bottom starts to expand again when the weight comes off... and yer right back to where you started.

There's the old physics law that says: "Nature abhors a vacuum" ... I'm here to say that Nature ALSO abhors a horizontal surface... junk will rush in to fill every available space, and then some!

Three of the bays were once a 1930's chicken coop. The fourth bay was added around 1960, along with the "Saw Room". There are two other 'rooms' that back up to the garage bay area. It's quite an eyesore! and one I'm particularly proud of! ha ha ha ha ha ha...

Old 09-15-11, 05:06 AM
Group Moderator
Mine gets pretty messy sometimes, but it's relatively clean right now. Don't think I'm in Furd's league.

Old 09-15-11, 05:26 AM
It's a standard two-car garage.
Where are the cars?

Old 09-15-11, 09:24 AM
I have no choice but to keep my shop relatively clean. If I don't I can never remember where I put a tool or materials or whatever. For years I used to spend hours looking for stuff sometimes traveling to a store to buy a tool or some material that I knew I had but just couldn't find - of course I would usually find the missing tool within a couple of hours of buying a replacement.

My garage gets a little messy but I go on an organizing/cleaning binge whenever I get tired of tripping over stuff.

Old 09-15-11, 09:25 AM
Up until a couple of months ago or so I could, if necessary, get my one and only car inside if I spent about an hour moving junk around. I would not have had any room to do anything but get in and out of the car but it could be done. Meanwhile, the car lives outside.

Wayne, my problem is that I have too many projects going on at the same time. I have a major remodel in my own house (going slowly), I had major work at my sister's house (mostly done), ongoing jobs at the hysterical museum, all of the normal things around my house (and my sister's house) like yard work, cleaning gutters, mowing lawns and killing blackberries plus having some relatively serious medical conditions that limit my mobility. I know EXACTLY what you mean about having to go out and buy a new tool because you cannot find the ones that you KNOW you have. Right now I have tools and supplies scattered all over the house and garage and finding what i want/need is often a major part of what should be a minor project.

I need to find the paperwork I put together a few weeks ago regarding my quarterly estimated income tax payment. Then I have to go to the credit union and redeem some Savings Bonds to have the money to pay the taxes. Gotta get it in the mail today.

Old 09-15-11, 10:36 AM
Group Moderator
I have maintained for years there is some drving force deep within humans such that no matter how much space you have available, you will find a way for it to be less than adequate.

I have a three car garage and I can get two in it but the table saw is still in the box (7 years, now?) and I have to put the miter saw in the driveway to use it.

Old 09-15-11, 01:49 PM
OK, here's some shots of a relatively clean one. I forgot we threw stuff in there after the last job before knee surgery.

Old 09-15-11, 04:44 PM
Not bad, more like mine is usually.

BTW, nice saw!

Old 09-15-11, 07:00 PM
Long story. It was my step son's who is a roofer, not a carpenter and he bought it when the boom was in. Now he has settled down to roofing and had no use for it and asked if I would "store" it for him. SHHHUUURRE, I'll store it for you . My old '73 Craftsman is in the barn on a pallet.

Old 09-15-11, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator
Chandler I am proud of you that your saving energy. That little itty-bitty A/C for that whole shop. Although its probably bigger then it looks. Heck it could be of the 24000 btu variety.... If it is then never mind.

Nice man land you have there.

Gee I guess if I post pic of my flower garden that is a mess I may get laughed at....

Mike NJ

Old 09-15-11, 07:16 PM
Group Moderator
My detached shop is about the size of a large two car garage with an additional storage room on the side. It is fairly cleanish right now. I just got done reconfiguring the duct work for my furnace which you can see in the photo. It used to be above the ceiling in the unheated attic going through insulated flex duct. This was installed by the previous owner.

Furd still wins I think.

Old 09-15-11, 07:24 PM
No, Mike, you're right. The A/C is way too small for summer. None of the pix show it, but I just installed an evacuation fan in the back wall just over the RAS. Makes it tolerable.
Yeah we can walk in our shops, Furd may be under all that stuff for all we know!

Old 09-20-11, 08:11 PM
Hay guys, I sure am glad I found this post. Now I don't feel so bad about my shop. But once my knee gets better, that is one of the first things on my to do list. Hopefully it will stat that way this time. I know all to well about tripping and falling. Last summer I tripped and fell, but it wasn't on the floor. I fell on top of a shop vac, and hurt my ribs pretty good. It's a good thing, it wasn't something sharp or pointy.

Old 09-21-11, 04:01 AM
Edward, what did you do, have a replacement? I've had both since April. Yeah, you really have to watch out and take baby steps sometimes.
"Hopefully it will stay that way..." I don't think so!! We clean mine semi annually, or whenever we have cabinets to build ( I like a nice big area for that). Mine was clean until we finished a job and just put stuff in there. It seems to creep up on you, til BAM it's dirty.

Old 09-21-11, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Edward, what did you do, have a replacement? I've had both since April. Yeah, you really have to watch out and take baby steps sometimes.
"Hopefully it will stay that way..." I don't think so!! We clean mine semi annually, or whenever we have cabinets to build ( I like a nice big area for that). Mine was clean until we finished a job and just put stuff in there. It seems to creep up on you, til BAM it's dirty.
No I didn't get a knee replacement, at least not yet, I have been putting it off. If I don't over do it I am all right for now any ways. But we went camping last month, and my kids wanted to go rock climbing, and I blue my knee out.
My shop use to be spot like, everything had a place, and it was in there space. My wife complain I kept my shop cleaner then her house. But some how things just started growing, and took over the shop. She wants a central vac, and toe swipe like I got in the shop.

Old 09-21-11, 04:59 PM
I can walk through my shop blindfolded and put my hands on anything I want. It just "looks" messy!
Good luck with the knee. I'm 3 1/2 weeks out of my second replacement. Decision wasn't too difficult to make, just glad I don't have another leg.

Old 09-21-11, 11:24 PM
If I don't get to crazy and try to do more then I should, it will mostly, or hopefully not be needed. I have heard good and bad about knee replacements. And lately there has been a lot of tv ads, about recalls on knee and hip replacement, and that would be my luck.
I had neck surgery three years age, for some bad disks. They told me no problem, six to eight weeks, and I would be back to work. I woke up, couldn't feel my left hand or arm. I couldn't even get it to move. They put me in rehab, and after six months of rehab, I can raise my arm, and have like 10% use of my hand. The insurance company said enough is enough, they weren't paying for any more rehab. I couldn't go back to work, I couldn't pass a DOT physical, and you can use a CDL without one. I knew I mostly couldn't dive for a company, but I though I could drive for my self. But the DMV, wouldn't renew my CDL license without a physical. They took my class A away, and gave me a D. I have had that for years, took a 20 question written test when I got out of the service. It's like 200 question now just for the permit, plus you need to go to school.

Search this Thread