My Twin Cities Adventure

Old 09-25-11, 03:34 PM
My Twin Cities Adventure

I had the pleasure of driving from Da Range to South St. Paul saturday noonish for a wedding reception. Never again.

Everyone told me the traffic wouldn't be bad on a saturday....yeah right. Where are all these people going and why are they in such a hurry? I was taught to keep one car length for every ten miles per hour from the car in front of you. Well...you're lucky if you see seven feet! It's like NASCAR without the walls.

I did fine with the two lanes in each direction but when you get to 3-4-5 lanes, no thanks.

When grandpa and I went to the Twins games at the Met in his 54 Chevy you could enjoy the scenery but today all they do is look for a chance to pass. CRAZY.

I'm staying home.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-11, 03:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds like Atlanta. When I was growing up the "expressway" moved from south to north halfway through town, then you got off and meandered through surface streets until it picked back up on the other side of the buildings. It was 4 lanes, two on each side.
Nowadays, it's 6 lanes on each side, with no mercy if you are in the fast lane. If you're not moving at 70+ MPH (in a 55) you are politely requested to move over.
GA 400 is many lanes wide from the north side of town to the foothills, where it just "ends". The Atlanta end is the only toll road in the state. We call it the Alpharetta autobahn. There is no enforced speed limit. Again, stay to the right if you are a noob.
Gosh, I love the mountains. Rush hour lasts 5 minutes, unlike Atlanta where it lasts for days!

Old 09-25-11, 04:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, I don't miss big city traffic I used to could handle it ok but now that I only have one eye that works ..... if we travel to a busy city, I usually get my wife to drive or at least be my navigator.... but then sometimes she tries to play that role on our local roads too

Old 09-26-11, 04:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Still remember an Atlanta Braves Pitcher, Pasquale Perez, who was new to Atlanta. He got on I-285 and started his trek to the Atlanta Stadium, which is inside the perimeter, downtown. I-285 is a 62 mile long circle. He stayed on I-285 probably for 3 trips. Never made it to the game and was fined for his absence.
Mark, why did you bring up the wifey thing? Mine drives so slow. Doesn't want to run over any squirrels or rabbits. I keep telling her, squirrels are suicidal and will time their trek to where they are under your tire, no matter how fast you go We left church yesterday and I had a gob of emails, texts and calls about a car I am selling, so I let her drive. I kept my head in the phone until I got motion sick. I look up....you're gonna lose this lane....shutup. Think you might want to go the speed limit?.....shutup. Move over into the turn lane....shutup. OK, I got the message. I drive next time.

Old 09-26-11, 05:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My wife thinks I drive too slow ..... but I know my sight and reaction times aren't as good as they were when I was young. But to balance things out, I know my wife drives too fast. She's the only person I know who accelerates to a stop sign

Old 09-26-11, 11:11 AM
Group Moderator
I live near the Twin Cities, I'm used to the traffic (though it does still irritate me...) but I visited a buddy in L.A. a couple years ago and found that traffic to be an entirely new experience.

Old 09-26-11, 11:57 AM
Baldwin -

Traffic can be tough and you were in the middle of our 5th season - Road construction.

The push to complete everything before winter was be compounded by the "catch-up" process from the state shutdown by the governor because the legislators did not agree with the excessive spending. The rest areas and bathrooms on the freeways were also shut down and then had to be recommissioned and certified before opening up again. The governor was a U.S. Senator, but walked out because he did not think the Senate office building was safe or adequate.

Because of the growth, it is difficult to keep up with the traffic needs.

Dick

Old 09-26-11, 12:53 PM
Group Moderator
Construction. Ugh.

Tried to pick up my daughter the other day and the piece of interstate I'd chosen was closed. Got on another one, found traffic at a crawl due to bridge work many miles ahead. Got on a third interstate branch and found traffic moving slowly because we were down a lane. I'm surprised I ever got there.

Old 09-26-11, 01:34 PM
Mark - My wife used to navigate on road trips. She was great at "there it is" just as I drive by, 3 lanes over,at 65 mph. I finally got a GPS. Now when I get frustrated with my navigator I can at least tell her "shut up b*tch" without fear of retribution.

BTW - Traffic doesn't bother me as long as it's moving and I know where I'm going.

Old 09-26-11, 01:54 PM
Nowadays, it's 6 lanes on each side
When my sister drove to Florida they took a picture of this for me knowing I'd be impressed. No thanks.

Old 09-26-11, 02:09 PM
Traffic can be tough and you were in the middle of our 5th season - Road construction.
Actually, the only place I had to slow down was up by Hinckley where it was 1 lane @ 55 mph...right up my alley. I could finally loosen my death grip on the wheel.

Took 35E to 52 right to Kaposia Park, all the construction was on the northbound lanes. After checking the traffic cameras and seeing no construction on 494/694 I took that way back. I was doing the speed limit, 60, I might as well have it in neutral. Don't the cops have radar down there?

Old 09-26-11, 02:19 PM
She was great at "there it is" just as I drive by, 3 lanes over,at 65 mph.
Hahahaha.....now that is some funny stuff. Thanks, you made my day!

BTW - Traffic doesn't bother me as long as it's moving and I know where I'm going.
EXACTLY....which lane to be in and when to exit. Google Earth and traffic cameras help a lot.

Old 09-27-11, 05:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell View Post
Mark - My wife used to navigate on road trips. She was great at "there it is" just as I drive by, 3 lanes over,at 65 mph. I finally got a GPS.
Maybe navigator wasn't quite the right word
I don't have good peripheral vision so she helps me with the cars in the other lanes

Old 09-27-11, 05:49 AM
Group Moderator
People driving fast don't usually concern me, especially if the majority of drivers are moving at near the same speed.

Tell me you weren't drving 60 in the middle or inside lane and holding up traffic? That's the one which irritates me the most

Old 09-27-11, 06:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Several years ago I was driving down I-75 [thru Cincinnati] in one of the middle lanes on a sunday morning. I was running a little over 80 mph. My wife was fussin' that I wasn't going fast enough because cars were whipping by me on both sides

While I don't believe in holding up traffic by driving too slow - them people are crazy!!

Old 09-27-11, 08:33 AM
Tell me you weren't drving 60 in the middle or inside lane and holding up traffic?
No, I stay in the right lane and let 'em go. And go they do.