Ready for fall?

Old 09-29-11, 06:16 PM
Ready for fall?

Now that I finally saw the sun this evening, It feels kinda chilly and dry like fall is coming. Is everyone ready?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-11, 06:23 PM
Group Moderator
OH LORD YES! I hate summer so fall is my favorite season. (followed by winter, then spring) Cool, dry air. Just how nature intended it. Also got about 4 cords of wood ready for burning.

Old 09-30-11, 04:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I appreciate the cooler temps but I'm not so sure I'm ready...... somehow I got behind yrs ago and can't seem to catch up

Old 09-30-11, 04:30 AM
Group Moderator
It's Fall? Oh, right, baseball playoffs starting; should have seen that clue.

Old 09-30-11, 04:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
TG, you don't have seasons in Sarasota, only hot and hotter. Leaves are starting their change, I've got the rental cabin booked through October, hopefully got the last grass cutting done, got the firewood ready. I'm like Scott, this is my favorite time of year. Summer.....for lack of a better word, inhales rather briskly. Winter you can bundle up. Summer, you can only get so nekkid before they lock you up.

Old 09-30-11, 04:48 AM
Group Moderator
Actually "wet" and "dry". How about posting some leaf pics for those of us whose leaves are green year-round?

"Fall" is when the pool temp drops below minimum comfortable temperature. Hasn't gottten there yet. "Winter" is when I routinely have to wear jeans vice shorts.

Old 09-30-11, 06:38 PM
Fall is my favourite season too. The cool dry air, changing leaves, Halloween (which is the precursor to Christmas for me), That fall evening sky, etc.

Old 10-03-11, 03:40 AM
Here, Labor Day seems to be the precursor to Christmas. They seem to skip over Halloween, Thanksgiving, my birthday......just doesn't seem right.
33 degrees here last night, what a hoot!!

Old 10-03-11, 09:28 AM
Snow is probably just around the corner here in the "Theater of Seasons" (MN).

Four days of 80F+ forecast, so it could snow in a week or two followed by another string of warm weather. You never know this time of the year.

A few years ago on Halloween there was about 20" of snow that collapsed the tops of boats that were still in the water. It melted in a few days and no decent snow until January. - It keeps things interesting.

Dick

Old 10-03-11, 12:28 PM
Dick, that reminded me of a while back. A group of us had vacation time out the wazoo, so we took two weeks in the spring for fishing and two weeks in the fall for hunting. I had something to do the weeks they wanted to go in the spring, so I passed. Second day on the lake, the biggest snowfall to hit the area happened. 8" of heavy snow. All the boats sank to the point they couldn't winch them out without tearing up their trailers.

Old 10-03-11, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Here, Labor Day seems to be the precursor to Christmas. They seem to skip over Halloween, Thanksgiving, my birthday......just doesn't seem right.
33 degrees here last night, what a hoot!!
Yeah, It seems they're not putting the stuff out as early this year. Slim pickin's for retail halloween stuff, too this year.

When's your birthday?

We were kept a little warmer by the rainstorm last night.

Old 10-04-11, 02:48 AM
October 7, but at my age, you don't "celebrate" normally. You are just glad to have them. It's better than the alternative

Old 10-04-11, 12:35 PM
Fall is still my favorite time of the year by far. When I was growing up hunting was by far my favorite pastime. It started with grouse and pheasant in September as a tune up for October archery and November rifle seasons.

There is nothing in the world like a crisp November day with frost on the ground, the sun just starting to peek over the horizon and a big ol' ridgerunner in your crosshairs.

Old 10-04-11, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator
Still getting ready for winter.

Closed pool. A PITA I tell ya's.
Still have not turned heat on. Trying to go as long as I can until the admiral (wife) and ensign's (kids) start complaining. ( Did fire it up to make sure all controls are funtioning. Checked exp. tank pressure, blew down alittle water from boiler drain when checking)
Flushed water heater.
Took molding off all outside doors. Guess what? No insulation. The previous owner left that out when he installed the doors. Thats how I spent the day today insulating.
Sealed drivway a few weeks ago when it was still warmer.
Touched up all cracks on steps to entry ways in home. Cracks were forming from water intrusion. Cemented everything up nicely.
Cleaned all windows and lubed the sash spring/coil whatever its called. Locked all windows for a good seal against cold.
Re caulked around the older 1950 storm window/single pane. Wondering if I should do the plastic thing???
Changed batterys in t stats and smoke detectors.
Bringing garden hoses to the shed soon. Dont want hose bib freeze. make sure you disconnect the hose at least with the frost frees.
Went on the roof and looked around for damaged shingles and vent flange integrity.
Installed new gutter gaurds that I made myself. Did that a few weeks ago. Just in time, leaves are starting to fall.
fertilize lawn. ( seeded last month)

Things left to do.

Winterize sprinkler system is next.
Trim all bushes, till garden, pull all dead plants out from the flower boxes.
Put all patio furniture away.
Change oil in cars and check battery levels.
Check snow blower.

Ha, ha, Hopefully this list will remind all you DIY'ers on something you may have forgot to do. I probaly can think of several more that I probably need to.

Mike NJ

Old 10-04-11, 07:00 PM
October 7, but at my age, you don't "celebrate" normally. You are just glad to have them. It's better than the alternative
You're not that old. How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

There is nothing in the world like a crisp November day with frost on the ground, the sun just starting to peek over the horizon and a big ol' ridgerunner in your crosshairs.
I'll double that. Never been hunting though.

Closed pool. A PITA I tell ya's.
No pool
Still have not turned heat on. Trying to go as long as I can until the admiral (wife) and ensign's (kids) start complaining. ( Did fire it up to make sure all controls are funtioning. Checked exp. tank pressure, blew down alittle water from boiler drain when checking)
Same. My Dad doesn't want to turn heat on eithers.
Flushed water heater.
No tank to flush
Took molding off all outside doors. Guess what? No insulation. The previous owner left that out when he installed the doors. Thats how I spent the day today insulating
Spray foam or fiberglass?
Sealed drivway a few weeks ago when it was still warmer.
No driveway to seal
Touched up all cracks on steps to entry ways in home. Cracks were forming from water intrusion. Cemented everything up nicely.
That still needs to be done.
Cleaned all windows and lubed the sash spring/coil whatever its called. Locked all windows for a good seal against cold
Once the halloween stuff comes down. Nothing to lube. Just clean.
Bringing garden hoses to the shed soon. Dont want hose bib freeze. make sure you disconnect the hose at least with the frost frees.
We never do that. Thanks for the advice!
Check snow blower.
I'm still working.
Ha, ha, Hopefully this list will remind all you DIY'ers on something you may have forgot to do. I probaly can think of several more that I probably need to.
Thanks...You reminded me. Time to bug Dad...

Old 10-04-11, 07:07 PM
Group Moderator
Love the fall temperatures and the color of the trees.

Hate driving east into the blinding sunrise during rush hour each morning between 7:30 and 8:30 AM because everyone driving east is blinded and traffic is just crawling.

I prefer it when the sun comes up at 5:30 or 6 and goes down at 9.

Old 10-04-11, 11:59 PM
Haven't yet turned on the heat? I haven't been able to go more than a few days this year WITHOUT turning on the heat. I think the longest stretch was maybe five days.

Old 10-05-11, 04:15 AM
Justin....4 of your lifetimes. 63 day after tomorrow. But not a wasted moment!! Run through life with your hair on fire, 10 feet tall and bulletproof.

Get in your tree stand before daybreak and the sun comes up. Thermals start to move the leaves and the sunlight glistens through the dew. Birds start to sing, and then the sound......chunk, chunk, chunk!! You carefully and slowly look around for that 8 point buck you have been tracking. Not there , then you spot the source of the noise....a puky 2 ounce chipmunk. UTK, but you restrain yourself.

Old 10-05-11, 05:40 PM
Love the fall temperatures and the color of the trees.
The leaves arent real nice this year for some reason. And the temperatures are either hot or cold. Not real nice like previous years.

Old 10-05-11, 06:32 PM
In MN, we are still evading the cool fall weather. 87F today (22% humidity), breaking a 130 year old record. - Not "global warming", just a warm spell before the colder weather is a few days followed by real cold and maybe some snow hopefully, soon.

It will soon below 0F for the November deer opening.

Dick

Old 10-05-11, 07:47 PM
Group Moderator
87F........This is just stupid! <---- me on fire.

I hate summer!

Old 10-06-11, 05:15 AM
We are 40's-70's with total sunshine and low humidity for the next 10 days. Gotta love it. I'm with you, Scott, summer heat is awful!!

Old 10-06-11, 06:39 AM
Fall is okay, 78 F today, I'll have to vote for spring. Taking the dog out to pee when it's -30 and driving on slippery roads for months, nothing makes me happier than to see water running down the street and eventually green grass.

Old 10-06-11, 08:45 AM
It's not the heat but the humidity that gets to me. This has probably been the most humid summer in the nearly 30 years that I have lived here. I was in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago. 100*+ every day that we were there. It felt great.

There is no foliage color in my part of CT yet. I have a couple of sugar maples near my house that are usually awesome in their fall colors by now. This year the leaves are just turning yellowish brown and falling off. Most of the other trees still look pretty much like mid summer.

Old 10-06-11, 02:53 PM
Group Moderator
Okay, I guess Fall is here; ac turned off and windows open. Very pleasant.

Old 10-06-11, 03:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's alright TG, it might get colder here in tenn but I don't miss that fla humidity one bit
Actually I think this part of the country is about perfect. We have all 4 seasons but the snow comes and goes - only on rare occasion does it stick around more than one week

Old 10-06-11, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator
Mid 60 days here for last 4-5 days... high 70s starting Sat. Prob be back up in high 80s next week. Hey...anytime I can turn the A/C off for days at a time I'm a happy camper. Nights have run 55-45.

Bit too cold (air temp) to open doors and windows though. Feels great in the sun outside and it warms the house nicely (went from 67 at 5:30 to 74 right now)...but if the breeze blows through SHE (who must be obeyed) will want the heat on.

Old 10-06-11, 06:01 PM
Hey, Mark, had a couple come in last Christmas to our rental cabin. Sunshiny on Friday. I told them to call their employers and tell them they would not be at work on Tuesday. "Huh?" Sure nuff, all that snow hit and they were stuck up there for extra days.
She called yesterday and wants to "do it again" !! I told her I could provide the cabin, but she had to pray really hard for the snow thingy Who knows?

Old 10-07-11, 07:41 PM
Okay, I guess Fall is here; ac turned off and windows open. Very pleasant.
Nice here. 70's during the day and 40's at night!!!
It's not the heat but the humidity that gets to me. This has probably been the most humid summer in the nearly 30 years that I have lived here. I was in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago. 100*+ every day that we were there. It felt great.

There is no foliage color in my part of CT yet. I have a couple of sugar maples near my house that are usually awesome in their fall colors by now. This year the leaves are just turning yellowish brown and falling off. Most of the other trees still look pretty much like mid summer.
Same here.
I blame all of the rain.
Justin....4 of your lifetimes. 63 day after tomorrow. But not a wasted moment!! Run through life with your hair on fire, 10 feet tall and bulletproof.
Chandler, Happy Birthday! You're not old yet...

Old 10-07-11, 09:33 PM
Fall?? Just took the dog out (11:20pm) for his evening constitutional and it was warmer outside (75.4) than inside.

However, the howling wind from the south this late at night says things are about to change.