Usps

Old 10-08-11, 04:11 PM
Usps

Once again in financial difficulty. I was at my local PO last week to get delivery turned on after we got back from vacation. The guy asked me if I wanted to buy stamps. I told him "no, I rarely use them". I thought the guy was going to go postal on me. He got really upset when I said that my only need for the post office was to get my junk mail delivered. We did get a letter last month and my wife commented that it was the first letter she had received all year. Of course it was from her 90 year old aunt . . . .

Would anyone here miss things like Saturday delivery? How many could get by with once or twice a week delivery? Anyone write letters? Pay bills by check/mail?

With e-mail, on line banking and bill paying and more reliable delivery from UPS and FedEx it seems like the post office is becoming obsolete especially since they seem to be so unwilling to restructure to meet current consumer needs.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-11, 05:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ssssshhhhh! Obama already wants to tax the internet. With this, he will be able to apply "postage" to each of our billing transactions and emails. Can't happen? Watch.

Old 10-08-11, 06:46 PM
Ssssshhhhh! Obama already wants to tax the internet. With this, he will be able to apply "postage" to each of our billing transactions and emails. Can't happen? Watch.
That's BS! Internet prices are high enough.

Old 10-08-11, 08:39 PM
...especially since they seem to be so unwilling to restructure to meet current consumer needs.

Here ya go Wayne, see if this sinks in. Sounds crazy to me......

Red Tape - Twisted government accounting behind Postal Service woes

Old 10-09-11, 05:58 AM
Baldwin - I don't think it sunk in but it gave me a headache. While it offered an explanation of the financial woes, it glosses over the fact that the post office is becoming less and less important.

99% of the stuff I get in my mail box goes directly into the trash. I suspect that the "connected" generation will have even less use.

Old 10-09-11, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator
Sat delivery I could live w/o, but what about Netflix, magazines, packages for B-day and Christmas, free samples, etc?

It's still far cheaper to use USPS for most packages than it is using FE or UPS. Even if they raise the rates 25%..it would probably still be cheaper.

I had to mail a package and the receiver recommended UPS or FedEx (though they shipped it back USPS (odd huh?).
Local shipping store...almost $16 and since I packaged it myself..no automatic insurance. Turned out I should have gone USPS Priority and sent it for less than $9 even with the insurance.

Old 10-09-11, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator
Well, I still use it. I still write letters to old friends I don't see anymore. How about cards, like Christmas and Birthday and Thank You cards? How will you send them without the PO? Nothing worse than an email card instead of a real one.
UPS is good for larger and heavier packages, but a small package is definitely less thru the PO.
JMHO.

Old 10-10-11, 05:24 AM
I'm not suggesting that the post office should be eliminated, just that it has become less relevant than it was 30-40 years ago and it could probably be pared down, with little impact.

Gunguy - a bit off topic, but you should look into Netflix streaming video.

Old 10-10-11, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah Wayne, we had that til they raised the prices. Problem was, they almost never had any movies we wanted to see, at least not until months after they came out on disc. We watched a few series (Sopranos, Southpark, etc), but I doubt we streamed anything more than 2 times a month after that.

IF they had everything available for streaming that they do on disc, we'd prob switch to that exclusively.

Old 10-10-11, 04:32 PM
Like a dip wad, I went to the mail box today Hey, no bills!!

Old 10-10-11, 04:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hey Larry, I bet you didn't get anything else in the box today either - it's a gov't holiday

"dip wad" - geez, I'm slow..... it just dawned on me

Last edited by marksr; 10-10-11 at 04:40 PM. Reason: *
Old 10-10-11, 08:02 PM
I knew there was a reason why I didn't bother to check my mailbox today!

I think that eliminating Saturday delivery would save a significant amount of money AND give the carriers Saturday and Sunday off. As it is now they get Sunday off and some other day during the week. As far as going to a three-day delivery I don't think that would save all that much money but I know it would not inconvenience me as I rarely go to the mailbox more than three times a week now.

Old 10-11-11, 04:14 PM
Saturdays I could do without, but during the week, the same amount of mail will be delivered in volume whether it is 3, 4 or 5 days. It just burdens the system to have mail sit 24 hours. I've been through the postal service distribution place in Atlanta. Geebers that place is big!! It moves at lightning speed. I wonder what kind of effect it would have on an operation like that to stop a delivery day. In my mind pops up Lucille Ball, I don't know why!!!

Old 10-11-11, 04:53 PM
It seems to me, when I was a kid growing up, there was no mail delivery on Saturday. But I can't really say for sure, we didn't get our mail delivered. The post office was across the street. But I do remember having to be there before noon, or the door was locked. Where I live now, I can go any day, any time, and pickup mail.