Isn't it always this way!

Old 10-09-11, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Isn't it always this way!

After answering a couple of garage door threads yesterday, I realized the temps were changing and my door was a little noisy. OK, time for lube, adjustment checks, tightening, etc.

Naturally I had to run the door up and down several times in a row just to distribute everything.

Well, came out this morning and pushed the button...and I get "hummmm, 1/2" of upward movement and stop"...push again "hummm, 1/2" down, stop".......OH J H C!

Disconnect door...opener screw runs fine with no load.

Pull the cap...yep..looks like a bit of leakage. OK, I'll get one, but of course it's Sunday, so the cap may be here by Thurs or Fri if I can't find a place locally that keeps them in stock (doubtful). And of course all the retail places are having sales this weekend so I could save $50 if it turns out I really need a new opener. But that all ends Tues....

I mean, come on..the opener is only about 17 years old! And I just bought 2 new remotes for it a few months back.

I think I may just go buy a new opener tomorrow and return it if I don't need it.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-11, 12:37 PM
Group Moderator
the sad thing is that your 17yr old opener, if repaired, will probably still last longer than a new one would. It's usually true when they say, "they don't make [fill in the blank] like they used to.

Old 10-09-11, 06:22 PM
Knowing how lazy I am when I built my garage I didn't want an opener. I ran the wire but no opener.

Why? If I had an opener I'd probably just drive in and out and the floor gets dirty.

With no opener I have to get out, open the door, grab the broom and sweep any dirt from the last entry and in I go. Floor stays nice and clean that way. If you have a paved road and entry I guess it wouldn't matter, I have a gravel alley.

Old 10-10-11, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator
Why is it people that are supposedly "expert techs" think people are stupid. Called a guy who might have the cap I want, he sounded like I woke him up at 8AM. Asked if he had the part, he said "yes, but whats it doing" (runs unloaded, just hums loaded). Since the door opens fine manually and the unit runs unloaded, told him I figured it was the start cap. He says, "well, it's a run cap not a start cap, so thats prob not the issue, you may have a bad spring or roller"...this is after I told him I had done the maintenance and that the door operated OK. OH...and it says right on the cap label "For Motor Starting"!

On top of that, he has no shop, so he'd have to deliver it and since he lives about 40 miles away it will be $35 when he comes to town TOMORROW!

And people wonder why we are all starting to buy off the internet? Ordered the cap, should be here Wed or Thur..less than $20.

AARRRGH...I hate being treated like I'm an idiot!

Old 10-14-11, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator
Got the cap..4 days after order...3 days before estimated delivery (thanks USPS!). Bit of adjusting required, shortened lift arm, readjusted top rollers and limit switches....man, she rolls sweet now. Quiet, smooth, perfect seal top, bottom and sides.

Hmmm $20 vs at least $250? Yeah, I love DIY!

Old 10-14-11, 03:18 PM
Group Moderator
Vic, you know what this means, right?

Now you're authorized to spend $230 on tools! WOOHOO!

Old 10-14-11, 08:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did someone say "TOOLS" I was over in Carpentry and heard it all the way over there!!!