looking for right forum

Old 10-09-11, 09:47 PM
looking for right forum

I am looking for the right forum to answer question about putting a central vac in my house. My wife said she would clean more, if she didn't have to pull the vacuum out. What I am looking at is plumbing the house with PVC, and putting like a 20 gal shop vac in the cellar. Even a top of the line shop vac, is like a 1/4 of what a real central vac is. Would it work, or am I looking for trouble.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-11, 04:05 AM
Group Moderator
Probably an appliance-type question, but I think we can leave it here for now. I'll take a guess and say I don't think you can get enough suction even out of a high end shop vacuum.

Old 10-10-11, 04:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you have access from the cellar and no second floor a central vac system isn't that difficult to install. You don't need but 2 or 3 outlets for a modest sized house, as the hoses are probably 1/4 mile long , no, but they are long. With a second floor, there tends to be more difficulty as the piping needs to run through a wall and you run into perlins, wiring, plumbing, etc to stop a good pipe from transversing the two floors. Shop vacs are made for their specified purpose and hose length. The dedicated central vacs are more powerful and move stuff over longer distances without bogging down.

Old 10-10-11, 10:31 AM
I tried this in my previous house and it just didn't cut it. I eventually replaced the shop vacuum with a low-end central unit and the increased performance was beyond my expectations.

I would strongly urge you to buy the most powerful power unit you can afford for the best performance. The unit I have in my present home has a cyclonic action that precludes the necessity of filters. It exhausts outside as should all central vacuum systems.

Old 10-10-11, 11:24 AM
I didn't expect so many answer so fast, I will try to cover all the points. First off, the house is a 1 1/2 story cap. And for some reason, the way it was built, the center wall in the middle of the house, which is the bearing wall, is almost 8 inches thick, and I have access, on all floors. On the longest run, it would be maybe 60 feet at most. The shop vac I looked at is almost 300 cubit feet of air, almost 100 more then the central vac I looked at. I can buy a lot of shop vac, for the price of one central vac. And I already have a cyclone I use to use in my shop till I went with a full dust collection system, that I planned on using. And I did plan on exhausting it out side, to cut down the noise, and make things cleaner.

Old 10-10-11, 08:08 PM
In that case I say go for it. The worst that will happen is that you will have to buy a central vacuum power unit and the best is that you will have a good central vac system for a lower cost.

You WILL want a muffler on the exhaust, even if all you use is a large piece of PVC piping with a foam rubber liner. My neighbor has a unit that just exhausts outside and it is extremely noisy whereas mine, with the muffler, can barely be heard ten feet away.

Old 10-10-11, 09:13 PM
Furd, you mentioned a muffler on the exhaust, but wouldn't that restrict the air flow, and cut down on your vac power.

Old 10-10-11, 10:47 PM
No, it is a straight through design, like the old "glass-packs" or "smitties" of our hot-rod days. Essentially a three or four inch diameter PVC tube about a foot long with reducers to fit on the two-inch exhaust from the vacuum unit. They have an inner lining of foam rubber about an inch thick.

Maybe I can take mine apart sometime over the next few days and take some pictures.

Old 10-11-11, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Furd View Post
No, it is a straight through design, like the old "glass-packs" or "smitties" of our hot-rod days. Essentially a three or four inch diameter PVC tube about a foot long with reducers to fit on the two-inch exhaust from the vacuum unit. They have an inner lining of foam rubber about an inch thick.

Maybe I can take mine apart sometime over the next few days and take some pictures.
Furd, you don't have to take it apart, I get what you are talking about. I have used enough of those in my day. Glass pack and cherry bombs, didn't last very long, I used the steel pack one, with the bird on the side.

Old 10-11-11, 02:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have you decided on how to power it? Mama wont use it if she has to run to the basement to turn it on and off. Most central vac hose ports have low voltage switching built in. In your case you would need to run low voltage wiring from the ports to the area of the shop vac and then use a relay to turn the vac on and off.

Old 10-11-11, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by Edward074 View Post
I used the steel pack one, with the bird on the side.
Thrush or Hush Thrush.............

Old 10-11-11, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by goldstar View Post
Have you decided on how to power it? Mama wont use it if she has to run to the basement to turn it on and off. Most central vac hose ports have low voltage switching built in. In your case you would need to run low voltage wiring from the ports to the area of the shop vac and then use a relay to turn the vac on and off.
yep, I got that part covered. Anything and just about everything, in my house that can be controlled with X-10 is. I can control just about the whole from my computer, maxi controller next to the bed, or my hand held remote. My house is like a smart house, I can even turn things on and off over the internet, or view my cameras.

Old 10-11-11, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Thrush or Hush Thrush.............
The hush thrush didn't make enough noise for me. I had all that power in my SS, and I wanted people to hear it. I wanted the exhaust, to be louder then the 2 4 barrels sucking air.

Old 10-11-11, 05:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
X-10 is the way to go.

re: the mufflers, give me a pair of mellow tone glass packs exhaling the fumes from my '55 Star Chief with a '57 Tri Power manifold and three Ford 97's on top with progressive mechanical linkage.

Old 10-11-11, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by goldstar View Post
X-10 is the way to go.

re: the mufflers, give me a pair of mellow tone glass packs exhaling the fumes from my '55 Star Chief with a '57 Tri Power manifold and three Ford 97's on top with progressive mechanical linkage.
The glass packs sound good in the beginning, but the more you get on it, they get louder. If I could only afford gas for such a machine again. It cost me more to put a few gal in my lawn mower now, then to fill the tank on my car.

Old 10-12-11, 04:00 AM
Originally Posted by Edward074 View Post
It cost me more to put a few gal in my lawn mower now, then to fill the tank on my car.
Yeah, I hate putting 8 gallons of diesel in my Kubota ZTR. Gee over $30 !!! Even at "off road" pricing.

Old 10-12-11, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Yeah, I hate putting 8 gallons of diesel in my Kubota ZTR. Gee over $30 !!! Even at "off road" pricing.
You got a Kubota, I have been telling my wife, for years I need one. I was luck to get my 16 hp snapper, at a estate sale. I really need something with a front end loader.

Old 10-12-11, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator
What...no one remembers "Purple Hornies"??

Doubt their legal for street use anymore, but they sure were nice on my GTO's.

Old 10-12-11, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post

Wasn't that like your top of the line cherry bomb, but steel packed, instead of glass packed. But if you kept the rpm's down, you could almost get away running anything. I had butterfly valves from JC, I could open the headers from the drivers seat.

Old 10-12-11, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post

Never heard of them. What are they?

Old 10-12-11, 08:04 PM
Justin, They were small mufflers made to bolt onto the end of your header, to make them some what street legal.

Old 10-13-11, 04:13 AM
Justin, we installed them on big block cars to help alleviate back pressure so the engine would "breathe", add horsepower, and give an awesome sound when pressure was applied to the accelerator and the clutch was dumped.
You see these puky little mufflers attached to the back of those little rice burners....they may sound "bad", but you ain't heard nothing until you dump a 427 and open all three carbs at once.
Forgive us older guys for getting nostalgic about it. Most of us built our own cars out of nothing but a body and parts we could find. It is unbelievable that we had the technical know how to do all this at 17 years of age, but we did. We didn't much care about fuel mileage. We probably got 5 miles to the gallon, but heck it wasn't but 25 cents a gallon

Old 10-13-11, 09:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We probably got 5 miles to the gallon, but heck it wasn't but 25 cents a gallon

Or 18 cents when there was a gas war. Used to gas up my Whizzer motorbike for 8 or 10 cents depending on how low the tank was.

Later, souped up car age, we would go to a certain Sunoco station on Friday night, when they had the multiple mixes on the pump and the attendant would rig the pump so we got the pure concentrate. Then it was drag race time.

Old 10-13-11, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
Goldstar...we must have grown up about the same time and area I swear. Yep...cheaper stuff during the week, but if you were going to be playing on Fri and Sat night it was Sunoco 260. 102 octane back then.

Old 10-13-11, 09:57 AM
Had a airport up the road. We would get a gallon or so of avg gas, and add it to the tank. Make the engine purr.

Old 10-13-11, 10:21 AM
First eight postings concerning building a central vacuum system, next seventeen on the old hot rod days. I seem to be a master at changing the subject in these forums. No Beer 4U

Old 10-13-11, 12:56 PM
Sounds as if the vacuum thing was covered pretty well by the experts. All the rest is residual, and you ARE good. I'd rather be talking big block Chevy's than vacuum cleaners anyway . I miss mine.....Chevy, not vacuum cleaner.

Old 10-13-11, 05:01 PM
Yes, Thanks to all the input, I am set on the vac. All I need is some time, I have all my parts, with some extra all laid out. And I found out, one of you guys, lives like 15 minutes from me.

Old 10-13-11, 05:16 PM
I'd rather be talking big block Chevy's than vacuum cleaners anyway . I miss mine.....Chevy, not vacuum cleaner.
I'm a Ford guy!
Had a airport up the road. We would get a gallon or so of avg gas, and add it to the tank. Make the engine purr.
I as well as alot of people would like to get ahold of that.

Old 10-13-11, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by Justin Smith View Post
I'm a Ford guy!

I as well as alot of people would like to get ahold of that.
You would be surprised at the number of little airports there are. I don't know how good it would be in to days motors. I was running 12 to 1 compression and needed the extra octane. Straight out of the pump, it was 115, that is why I cut to about 105.