Just curious

Old 10-10-11, 08:31 AM
Group Moderator
Just curious

I'm wondering if this same trend is widespread of just a local thing.

Here's the scenario: Somebody is in trouble with the law, sometimes involving death and/or injury to self or others. Seems like somewhere in the newspaper article a friend or relative will opine that the person is "really a good person" or they're "trying to turn their life around" or some other sentiment that is seemingly contrary to what they were involved in to make the paper

Two cases in point. Couple of weeks ago there was a guy killed and his brother critically injured. These thirty-somethings were apparently racing their motorcycles at a high rate of speed (one estimate was over 100 mph; no helmets of course) in a residential neighborhood at 2:30 in the afternoon (pretty close to school dismissal time of day) when they somehow collided. The initial article in the paper didn't include any inane quotes about what nice guys they were, but did mention that both had been in trouble with the law previously and were "known to law enforcement" or words to that effect. In the ensuing week nearly every day there was a letter to the editor raking the newspaper over the coals for mentioning the criminal records. One or the other was said to have a young daughter he loved and that they were trying to turn their lives around.

Second case. Couple of months ago a guy ran down and killed a 71 year old woman on a golf cart over some neighborhood dispute. Same guy is now in jail accused of stabbing a guy at a drug house and then holing up in his residence. When he finally surrendered peacably, a neighbor was quoted as being glad it turned out okay because he "really loves his family".

Maybe I'm getting old, but I just don't get it.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-11, 09:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Along the same line it irks me when the news people refer to a rapist, child molester, mugger, etc. as "the gentleman that was arrested....." I always thought a gentleman was someone that was kind, considerate and didn't do things that would result in arrest

Old 10-10-11, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator
You should read our local newspaper when this kind of stuff happens. Same thing (mostly). 22 y/o robs 2 convenience stores in 3 days and when he gets caught...tons of letters saying "Oh, he was so nice in HS, though I haven't talked to him in 5 yrs" or "He was just trying to feed his family" (Though you can search the local courts and see he's been arrested 8 times for various charges and spent time in lock-up.)

Even out here in No Mans land we have stuff like that every few days, bank robberies, burglaries, break-ins, home invasions, etc, etc.

Old 10-10-11, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator
Oh geez, don't get me started on that. All I can do is shake my head and roll my eyes.
About a year or two back, someone killed a cop when the cop walked in the store that he was robbing at the time. His mother said "he's really a good boy!"
Uh, yeah, right, sure. A real good boy.

Old 10-10-11, 11:05 AM
Group Moderator
The first stage of grief is denial....

Old 10-10-11, 11:13 AM
Group Moderator
Hardly a year goes by that one of my tenants children is not killed in some gang related shooting. In every case mama is always crying that "he was a good boy", "he was turning his life around", "he didn't do that stuff, those were his friends but my boy never did that...", "were a good Christian family and don't do that stuff".

Tattooed into the gang, convicted multiple times, a dozen witnessed him shooting and a gun was found in his hand and the story never changes. "My boy is innocent". "He was a good boy".

Old 10-10-11, 11:18 AM
Group Moderator
To go a bit off topic my beef is sports hero. To me a hero is the person who risks his life to save someone else not someone who scores the winning point. He is being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to do just that.

Old 10-10-11, 12:17 PM
Just a couple of days ago a young woman was murdered by her live in BF. She was beaten and stabbed to death. The local TV interviewed a neighbor and she was going on and on about what a great guy he was. She must have seen the look on the TV crew's face because she finally said "except for this of course".

A couple of years ago a local cop shot and killed a 14 year old. The cop caught the kid at 2 AM trying to steal a car. The kid tried to get away by running over the cop. His mother went on and on about what a good boy he was and how he was planning on going back to school, looking for a job etc. The same old stuff. Unfortunately, no reporter had the stones to ask the mother what kind of mom she was to let the kid run the streets at 2 AM.

Old 10-10-11, 04:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Gosh, I've been away from the big city too long (not really)! Up here, everyone knows everyone and their kids, and could be related with different names, so you don't talk about Johnny because he could be your conversant's son's girlfriend's brother in law.
Not much ad libbing, though. We all know Johnny was rotten to the core and wondered how long it would take for him to do something really bad. Momma is a nice Christian woman, but that's as far as the sympathy goes. Johnny's bad.

Old 10-11-11, 05:03 AM
Group Moderator
Mark, the use of "gentleman" drives me nuts, too, when the proper terminology should be scumbag, jerk, criminal, or low-life.

Wayne, similar situation several months ago near here:

Article Window

The friends and relatives wanted the deputy's head mostly because they failed to understand why he went armed looking for [known only after the fact, of course] a couple of pranksters. They were apparently unconcerned that a 20 year old was three times the legal limit for alcohol for an adult (which he wasn't), was knocking on a law enforcement officer's door at midnight, assaulted the officer, and attempted to take the officer's weapon. Oh, btw the deputy's cruiser had been vandalized in his driveway two weeks earlier. Don't know what the official coroner's report said, but my read would be death by stupidity.

Old 10-11-11, 05:26 AM
Group Moderator
I get a little tired of those who get severely bent out of shape on such stories before they know all of the facts.

Search this Thread