EMP Protection

Old 10-12-11, 06:05 AM
Group Moderator
First, I don't think an EMP device is totally unlikely. It takes a certain level of technology and money but would you put it past Iran or North Korea? I think a more likely scenario is a "limited" exchange happening in the middle east or between India and Pakistan. Initially the destruction would be well away from the mainland US. Soon however I think the dust & smoke would circulate around the entire planet. Not causing immediate death & destruction but blocking sunlight and screwing with the climate enough to cause widespread crop failures. Again the problem becomes too many people to live off the land. How doe you prepare to survive for the longer term affects? 6 months food and you'd better have enough help and ammo to defend it and the mental state to shoot your friends & neighbors or let them starve. I just don't think there is any preparation for nuke whether it be an air burst to maximize the EMP or a ground war on the far side of the planet.

Tony, I fear for your plans if you are near Harrisburg, close to large population centers. I would plan on mobility to get out of the area. In your disaster plan I might include an old diesel Toyota pickup, Land Cruiser or Mahindra. Something without electronics, rugged and simple enough that it can be fixed and maintained with commonly available tools & parts. I was only joking about the '73 Falcon to the extent it's a impractical movie vehicle. Being mobile and able to live nomadic may be an option other than hunkering down and spending the rest of your life on defense.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-11, 12:23 PM
What happened here, why is every body so worried about EMP protection. Did some body get a whole of a old rerun of Jericho, or Jeremiah. Sure those two shows may have opened some eyes, and raised a lot of question. But like in my case, there isn't to much I can do about, unless I move, and move far away. My property line, ends next to one of the biggest bases on the east coast. Before the cold war ended, it was like # 1 or 2 on the list for targets to get hit. I might see the flash, but that would be it. There is suppose to be like a fifty mile hole left after that. There is 2 or 3 more targets up and down the whole coast. EMP protection, and a food supply is going to do me one bit of good, or any one else, unless they live in the middle of no were.

Old 10-12-11, 12:42 PM
Assuming the Russians are living up to their agreements there are no longer any targets on the east coast - or anywhere else. The last I knew targeting data was removed from our stuff years ago. Somebody might be cranking in some Tehran coordinates though given recent revelations.

At the height of the cold war there were dozens of East coast targets.

The odds are better that you'll get hit by falling satellite debris than crispied by a nuke.

Old 10-12-11, 03:51 PM
I do live near Harrisburg PA, but over 10 miles out ...I just have it listed as my city to help approximate where I am.

Yes, it is a grim prospect defending your food if something crazy happens. My wife was in tears during discussions that since we cannot let ANYONE know there's food here -that we'd have to turn away our own family members (not only friends/neighbors) in fear of word getting out to a starving person/group willing to kill to live another day. AGAIN, this is unlikely, but it's certainly something to consider. In this imaginary world, my plan would be to appear to be starving with everyone else.

How did this whole thing start? I knew of EMP's for years and so did my wife. I also knew about the 2008 EMP Commission presented to our government. However, about 2 weeks ago I heard a senator or House Rep. being interviewed and of the 10 topics he responded to was US security.

He said that not only was Iran believed to be working on nuclear weapons, but that the USA is a soft target for an EMP (just like flying jets into tall buildings ...my comment, not his). Also mentioned was that Iran already has space capabilities AND NTI (the Nuclear Threat Initiative) is reporting that since Iran put a satellite in space, it has established the technical basis to develop long-range ballistic missiles. And I KNOW you know about their nuclear program.

Once I heard this and read a little on Iran's capabilities, I decided to take it more seriously.

If they indeed launch an EMP in the next 5-10 years, it will be one of history's watersheds. The world will change and never be the same. I know it sounds epic, but aren't all major catastrophes or watersheds something no one was planning for by definition?

If you live near tons of people, then I wouldn't plan for anything. But I'm already 3/4 set up for success before I even started this EMP prep plan and it's mostly all electrical fun stuff.

Old 10-12-11, 04:55 PM
I do live near Harrisburg PA, but over 10 miles out
I live 40 minutes from the nearest city so I'm safe from food rebels.

My power infrastructure is in disrepair and has only been band-aided since the 1930s. If it goes, alot of people have generators, including the gas stations.

I'm surrrounded by small farms, and we would be able to survive for awhile.

Everyone I know has at least 1 gun and alot of ammo. Anyone trying to steal from us is just plain dumb.

Local grocery stores would survive off manual pricing.

Old 10-15-11, 12:45 AM
My apologies for the "paranoia" comment. But there seems to be some confusion over EMP versus thermonuclear device. An EMP is an electro-magnetic pulse that will do no physical damage. A thermonuclear explosion will essentially wipe out everything within an X radius of ground zero. If you are looking to survive a nuclear bomb, don't bother. You might as well crawl under you desk and put your hands behind your head (as we were taught in the 60's). As for EMP -- and as I said earlier -- look up the Inverse Square Law. In order to wipe out all electrical and electronic devices in the USA the pulse would have to contain more energy than everything that has been generated by mankind to date.

For the record, we have a boat. Within the next few years (and the 2012 end-of-world model notwithstanding) we will sell everything we own and live on the boat, traveling north in the summer and south in the winter. If "it" hits, we will hope the boat survives the massive end-of-world tsunami.

Old 10-15-11, 07:32 AM
Originally Posted by Rick Johnston View Post
For the record, we have a boat. Within the next few years (and the 2012 end-of-world model notwithstanding) we will sell everything we own and live on the boat, traveling north in the summer and south in the winter. If "it" hits, we will hope the boat survives the massive end-of-world tsunami.
I seriously doubt that'll happen. The planets are supposed to align. That's it.

Old 10-15-11, 03:40 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Rick Johnston View Post
...there seems to be some confusion over EMP versus thermonuclear device...
Currently the best publicly known EMP weapon for covering a large area is fusing atoms and makes a big BOOM! The affects of HEMP have been known since... well, since they actually tested stuff like that. The Starfish Prime test in 1962 showed how far reaching it's effects can be, causing unexpected damage in Hawaii 900 miles away. Basically it's all stuff that I find difficult to plan for much like the old duck and cover propaganda. As if your rear end was capable of providing protection against a nuke.

If it ever comes to some nuke/EMP disaster my concern is that I've only got a few hundred bottles of wine in the cellar and a constantly changing supply of beer. I'm afraid of what I will do when that runs out. Will I resign, give up and let the zombies chew on my bones or build a better Mad Max vehicle and go out hunting for Cabernet or a good IPA?

As far fetched as these discussions may seem they can be useful. OK, maybe the disaster is not a HEMP over the northeast US but being resourceful and prepared is wise none the less. Hopefully a large EMP attack will never happen but things like earthquakes, tornadoes and hurricanes are not unheard of.

Old 12-13-11, 10:01 PM
The goverment has a plan for you its called rex84. They allready have concentration camps built for you they will come in and take your guns food generator. look up rex84 also concentration camps. they have millions of body bags ready for you

Old 12-13-11, 10:44 PM
I'll bet you bought all kinds of supplies prior to New Years Day, 2000. Didn't you?

Old 12-14-11, 03:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can't suspend the Constitution. It isn't a piece of paper. It is in the hearts and minds of the people. That's exactly why the 2nd Amendment is in place. It is a different world than it was in 1984.

Old 12-19-11, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by ironworker2134 View Post
The goverment has a plan for you its called rex84. They allready have concentration camps built for you they will come in and take your guns food generator. look up rex84 also concentration camps. they have millions of body bags ready for you
Umm, I don't think they'll be able to get past us. There's >200 million americans, most of us having guns. They can't take them all, especially in my county.

Old 12-19-11, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by ironworker2134 View Post
Do you think this would affect my credit negatively? How many points do I lose from my FICO score if I am sent to a rex84 concentration camp?