Some suggestions for the new web design.

Old 10-18-11, 06:36 PM
Some suggestions for the new web design.

Put the drop down menu back in for the forums. It made navigating very easy.

Can we stop formatting web pages for 4:3 format already? I think there are enough people with 16:9 screens to allow the page to be more than a narrow strip down the center. The previous design was able to stretch its legs.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-11, 07:28 PM
Group Moderator
There are quite a few issues that are being worked on. (I have brought up the 4:3 aspect) Let's give it a little time to work out the bugs. Please be patient.

Old 10-18-11, 07:50 PM
Group Moderator
I worry about that idea. It wasn't till I got a wide screen monitor I could read the threads with out side scrolling and I never saw the right hand frame. Not everyone sets hunched over a monitor at a desk when using a computer. I use mine from the same easy chair from which I watch TV. The monitor is five feet away. To easily read the forum my minimum font is set to 16 and zoom permanently set to 150%. I would suggest instead give the option of selecting square or rectangular.

Old 10-19-11, 04:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by drooplug View Post
Put the drop down menu back in for the forums. It made navigating very easy.
If you go to the top left where it says forum categories - you get the forum drop. I just now found it

Old 10-19-11, 02:28 PM
Oh. Awesome find for the menu.

I've seen this version of the web site come and go quite a few times over several months. I'd rather get my complaints out up front instead of waiting 6 months to see if someone changes things on their own.

Old 10-19-11, 03:17 PM
I did notice that the menu does not have all choices.

Old 10-19-11, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator
How about the reply funtions? Like quote, text color, etc... Mine are all blank, I have to guess by holding the curser over it. Even in advanced they are all blank. Anyone have the same issue?

Mike NJ

Old 10-19-11, 03:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'll just curl up in my corner and wait for the IT people who must justify their jobs to come back to their senses and unfix what wasn't broken in the first place (further justifying their jobs). Happens every 6 months or so. What are the little boxes at the top of the post for? They're cute, but aren't symmetrical, nor do they serve a purpose. I note, too, we are being "autosaved". Where?

Old 10-19-11, 04:57 PM
Group Moderator
Everything mentioned and more already brought to site gurus attention by your hardworking Mod's. Patience.

Old 10-19-11, 05:11 PM
I would think it good for them to get 4 or 5 of us older guys and run BETA tests on these changes before unleashing them on the public. Just an idea.
And "patience" is a virtue, and I have no virtues.

Old 10-20-11, 04:26 AM
Group Moderator
Already proposed. How is it you're not a Mod, chandler. Oh, wait a minute...Georgia.

Old 10-20-11, 04:37 AM
That's riiiiight! No sand in my brogans! And it is 41 degrees here, not 85 like in your neck of the woods. You guys don't have a cooling off period, do you?

Old 10-20-11, 05:53 AM
where's the settings button, i cannot find where i'm subbed to all my threads...a critical feature for me

Old 10-20-11, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator
where's the settings button
It's missing. I asked to have it restored. In the meantime, go up to "Forum Actions" and you can click on General Settings from there.

Old 10-20-11, 10:26 AM
As long as they are fixing stuff how about prohibiting ancient threads from being reopened? I just read a 6 year old thread where a new poster tacked his problem.

Old stuff like that should be read only.

Old 10-20-11, 10:30 AM
Testing to see if the time between posts has changed.

Nope, it's the same irritating 3 minutes. Something I have never seen on the half dozen other forums that I visit regularly.

Next test will be the short response test.

Old 10-20-11, 10:33 AM
Short answer!

Nope - failed that test too. It's still a minimum 25 characters. Again, something I never see on other forums.

On the surface it appears that whomever made the decisions on what to upgrade didn't pay much attention to the wishes of forum members.

Now I await the expiration of the obligatory wait time before posting.

Old 10-20-11, 10:48 AM
Group Moderator
Don't feel bad, Wayne; the Mod's don't get a say either.

Old 10-20-11, 10:52 AM
Group Moderator
The time period between posts and character minimums are not bugs, they are deliberately set that way to discourage spammers from making many posts before the moderators can discover them and clean up the mess - you may disagree with one or both of them but I know those are not going to change.

As to closing old threads, new members often do not know to or how to start a new thread with their question, so it was deemed better to deal with these old thread additions on a case by case basis instead of blocking the ability to add to them after a certain time.

Old 10-20-11, 11:29 AM
As to closing old threads, new members often do not know to or how to start a new thread with their question, so it was deemed better...
HOGWASH! Each and every one of us was a "new member" in the beginning and most of us figured out how to start a new thread by just looking at the format.

Old 10-20-11, 11:51 AM
Group Moderator
Yep, playing to the lowest common denominator.

Old 10-20-11, 04:47 PM
I posted it in another thread, but what happened to the last poster's name on the main menu. It helps when cruising through to see if more action has taken place with the thread. Now you have to open the thread to see if there are new posts.

Old 10-20-11, 05:06 PM
I'm not having that problem. Still appears the same in that respect compared to the previous version. I also can see the reply and quote buttons. I'm running Opera.

Old 10-23-11, 04:31 AM
Aaah, buttons have meaning, now. Still haven't had an answer to "autosave", yet. Sure would like to see the last poster's name after the thread title on the main page of titles. Helps to know if the person is getting helped or not.

Old 11-29-11, 04:02 AM
Just stirring up stuff......THANKS for reinstating the posters on the forum page. It makes it so much easier to see who is answering and who needs answering.

Old 11-29-11, 06:46 AM
Group Moderator
If you navigate away from an auto-saved post and go back you will see the option to use what was auto-saved in the gray at the bottom of the compose field.

Old 12-03-11, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator
The ads on the right are blocking the posts!!!!!

Anyone have the issue with the ads on the right of thier screen? They are imbedded right over the words of the forum posts on the right side.

I cant get rid of them and I dont want to buy any stinking drills....... Geez.

I thought they would go away but its getting real old fast. Hope its not just me?

Mike NJ

Old 12-04-11, 03:56 AM
Mike, about the only way you can do away with the ads is switch browsers to Firefox and install AdBlock Plus. Now the drill advertisement is part of this website, and they are obviously getting kickback on it. I haven't figured a way to get rid of that one, but if I do, I'll post it.
I figure we're here trying to help people with their problems, not get inundated with ads to buy tools (cheap tools).

Old 12-04-11, 05:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I use FF and AdBlock plus but I also have my browser set to larger type to compensate for my poor eyesight. This allows me to see all the print but I have to scroll to the right to see the ads. I didn't even know the drill ad was there until just now when I went looking for it

Old 12-04-11, 06:09 AM
I've had the ads overlay the text on the right only just slightly. It seems to have been intermittent for me. I really wish the website would display the whole width of my screen instead of the racing stripe down the center. And please add more to the forum categories menu!

Old 12-04-11, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator
It seems to have fixed itself this morning.

On mine it seems that the forum text was going into wide screen but the ads were staying where they are and hence overlaying on the text.

This morning the text is stsying in its 4.3 format.

Now just a note nothing changed on my end. My computer never turns off. Maybe once a month I shut her down , reboot and clean all the junk out.

Hey just happy to read the whole posts again instead of having to click "reply with quote" to get the text in a different area that I can read the whole thing. I would have to read the original, then refer to the quoted text, then back to original...etc

Glad its fixed. I wonder if the web people actually changed something?

Mike NJ

Old 12-04-11, 08:08 AM
A chatroom would be nice too.

Old 12-04-11, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator
Back to blocking the posts on the right side. Ugggg. I need to get these adds away somehow. I guess no personal settings will fix it huh.

Mike NJ

Old 12-04-11, 03:39 PM
Not on IE8. It thrives on ads. You could do like Marksr and go to "view" and increase your print size so Helen Keller could read it That would take your ads off the screen, at least.

Old 12-04-11, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
No its this ads by google on the right. It overlays about 1" onto the forum posts at the right hand side. its a whole long strip of ads. I cant read the whole posts!!!!!

The text sizing in the IE tools does nothing. Web page stays the same size.

I am just wondering if its me or there are others that have the same issue?

Mike NJ

Old 12-04-11, 11:03 PM
Not just you. Happened to me a couple three days ago....right side of text was covered by an ad and scrolling side to side wouldn't let me see all the text. Only happened that one day though and only on one message.

Not sure what to tell you, I use Chrome here.

Search this Thread