condo-owner to house owner !

Old 10-22-11, 06:36 AM
condo-owner to house owner !

hello, people . i haven't been around in a while. but i am back for a lil while now.
i see there is a new format here, so far.

i posted about 16 months ago about putting my place on the market. i can't find that thread .
anyway. we signed a contract last night !!!

so, unless something bad happens.
it looks like i will be asking to change my name to house-owner .
if that is possible.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-11, 02:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
furd got his changed to Furd, so you gotta be nice. One of the mods will respond to your query in a more official manner.

Old 10-22-11, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator
I think I can do it...not positive. Let me know after everything is final. If not you can always just re-register....might be simpler.

Old 10-22-11, 02:22 PM
please, pretty please with sugar on it , lol.

yeah. i will post after it happens. but, when it happens, i will not have internet, for a while.
so it will quite likely be after i am in the/whatever house.
which could be as long as a few months. but i hope not, as that will be in the dead of winter.

i would rather not re-register. as i would loose my post count and start date = the simple things in life

Old 10-22-11, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator
Like I said... I'll try to be the little engine that could. Just let me know before the move, or after you get connectivity back.

Actually...I'll try it now and see what I get....then change it back if it works. It could be we can only do caps and such....also a poss that the name is taken.

Old 10-22-11, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator
Ack...turns out I can't...no save button on the page.

So back to a "Let us know when it happens"...shouldn't be a big issue for a Super or Admin type.

Old 10-22-11, 03:36 PM
I sent a PM to Sharp Advice who was able to do it with little problem.

Old 10-22-11, 03:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
furd got his changed to Furd, so you gotta be nice.
I was afraid of that next he'll be wanting us to address him as Mr

Joking aside, I don't think it's too big of a deal to get it done..... although the few members that don't play nice might have trouble

almost forgot wish you good luck with the sale and move!

Old 10-22-11, 06:00 PM
Don't worry, with a house your post count will be back up and beyond 900 in no time.

Old 10-23-11, 09:51 AM
thanx, folks.

i am not counting my chickens, as things can fall through. but i will feel much better, i hope, after the inspection tuesday.

Old 10-23-11, 10:02 AM
Be sure to let us know of the outcome of the inspection. While there ARE good home inspectors far too many of them are just barely adequate.

Old 10-23-11, 04:47 PM
Too many are hired by real estate agents to promulgate a fast sale, and don't watch out for the prospective homeowner, so be aware.

Old 10-23-11, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by Furd View Post
Be sure to let us know of the outcome of the inspection. While there ARE good home inspectors far too many of them are just barely adequate.
i sure will. i am hoping for the barely adequate one. not that i am trying to hide something. everything in this place is as reliable as it can be, and nothing is unsafe, and everything works as is was intended
i keep thinking that they will be "looking " for anything, so they can try to lower the price.

Too many are hired by real estate agents to promulgate a fast sale, and don't watch out for the prospective homeowner, so be aware.
yep. when i go to buy. its going to be a fixer upper. so i have to have someone that knows what they are doing. and, at the same time, i will be inspecting.
and i will be looking for "anything"

that is what i hope shows up tuesday. just to move the process along smoothly.

Old 10-29-11, 06:33 AM
inspection was done. what was asked of me was minimal :wiping brow:.
comes out to a little work and under $200.

furnace inspection
Co2 detector (i don't have one right now)
weld railing on patio
tighten outlet cover , lol.
while she didn't ask for the holes in the walls to be patched = picture hanging holes. i am going to fix all of those and i have extra matching paint.

one possible issue. she wants the furnace inspected. no problem. unless there is something wrong with it that i do not know about. it works fine. i am just afraid that the hvac guy will say something is wrong, when it is not. just to try and sell me something.

the inspector. he went over the place pretty good. over an hour for a condo.

anyway. we are going to look at 2 houses today.

Old 10-29-11, 09:41 AM
I'm sure it is a CO detector that you need to get, not a CO2. CO is carbon monoxide and CO2 is carbon dioxide.

Old 10-29-11, 12:08 PM
$200 is chump change!! You did good. Hold your breath on the HVAC, then enter the golden gate of home ownership.

Old 10-29-11, 02:11 PM
When you are buying remember to hire an inspector on your own. Don't use an inspector recommended by the real estate agent.

I have an issue with home inspectors. In most places they are not licensed, certified or trained. In many instances they have a real estate or HIC background. I've seen a couple of horror stories on local TV where inspectors, real estate agents and contractors were in bed together.

Having a home inspection is a good thing but in too many cases the wrong people are doing the inspections.

Old 10-29-11, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by Furd View Post
I'm sure it is a CO detector that you need to get, not a CO2. CO is carbon monoxide and CO2 is carbon dioxide.
Doh !

Old 10-29-11, 03:21 PM
$200 is chump change!! You did good. Hold your breath on the HVAC, then enter the golden gate of home ownership.
indeed.

i saw 2 houses today. the first one, well, i would have to buy the largest hammer i could find to do the demo. the place was really rough. AND, it needs a new foundation. block walls in the basement are bowing in.

the 2nd place wasn't "bad". didn't really "need" anything to live in it. but i would get a lot of updating if i bought it. and, 1 of the block walls, yep, you guessed it. worse that the other place. looks like when the drive was asphalted, the roller mashed the pavement so much it pushed the wall in. and the garage needs a roof and siding.
and the property taxs were pretty high for that property.

looks like that "golden gate" is not going to be as easy to get into as i thought.

Old 10-29-11, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell View Post
When you are buying remember to hire an inspector on your own. Don't use an inspector recommended by the real estate agent.

yeah, that is what i am going to do. i think the guy that did this place, did a pretty good job. so i may us him.

Old 10-29-11, 03:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Having an inspector you know is competent is the best way to go! As Wayne noted, many of them are poorly trained [if at all]. I'm just a painter but I've seen inspectors miss major items and nit pick minor ones.

Old 10-29-11, 04:08 PM
When we hired an inspector for our house the real estate agent recommended a few and we kept the list as a guide on who not to hire. The agent cringed when the company we hired showed up for the inspection. Very through guy, the previous owner who lived in this house for 20 years learned a few things he didnt know. A perk of this particular inspector was a free re inspection to confirm that anything we requested be repaired was actually done. Long story short, we demanded a few electrical problems be fixed, of course the electrician was in the real estate agents pocket and ended up returning 3 times and costing more then changing a few breakers and installing a few junction boxes should have. But thats on the agent and her stupidity, trying to get away with cheap half done repairs assuming we wouldnt follow up.

Wow what a ride this has been. I have also learned how resourceful an agent can be at 7:00 on a Sunday night tracking the seller down 3 hours away for an agreement and signature not to lose a sale, but thats another story for another day.

Old 11-28-11, 04:30 AM
today is closing ............................

Old 11-28-11, 05:18 AM
Congrats. Now you have to change your screen name.
I hope you've put aside a bit for the new tools you're going to need and maybe found a spot for your new shop.

Old 11-28-11, 05:56 AM
Did someone say "tools" . Man, it travels fast. Let us know, we can help!

Old 11-28-11, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell View Post
Congrats. Now you have to change your screen name.

I hope you've put aside a bit for the new tools you're going to need and maybe found a spot for your new shop.
yeah. but what do i change it too ? since i will not be a property owners here in a few hours. homeless bum, or perhaps just "bum" . ex-condo-owner.
i know = house hunter !

anyway
yeah, i will have money for tools. and i have many tools as it is.
i have a garage now, 2 1/2 car. i don't know how to act . but, it is not mine, i am just borrowing it until i find my own garage.

Old 11-28-11, 08:49 AM
Did someone say "tools" . Man, it travels fast. Let us know, we can help!
what

yeah, you guys help a lot. except for the snow blower part.

Old 11-28-11, 09:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think I can speak for Larry too, we just go inside for a day or two when the snow starts blowing

I thought you were closing on a new place hope you find the right place soon

Old 11-28-11, 11:50 AM
Yeah, I was thinking you were closing on your own place to live, not selling. Congratulations, anyway. Buyer's market sales are cause for celebration! You have the world at your feet, now. Good luck with finding a place you can warm up to.
We're expecting a day of snow tomorrow, so like Marksr says, we'll just stay in and watch it.

Old 11-28-11, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
We're expecting a day of snow tomorrow
How strange is that? It's going to be 65 and rain up here.

Old 11-28-11, 05:25 PM
yeah. we closed on the condo sale, today. house hunting isn't going well, not many choices of what/where i am looking. but, "thee one" can pop up at any time.

if i had some real money, the world would be at my feet.
but, it really is only "at my big toe"