So How Was Your Day?

Old 10-24-11, 09:56 PM
Group Moderator
So How Was Your Day?

Was researching something on Google today when the page seemed to freeze. I spent five minutes trying to get it to work before I realized my Internet was down.

Well after 20 minutes of troubleshooting I realize it is time to call India. Ok, I'll just go to Broadband Reports to get the best number to call.... oh crap, I don't have an Internet connection, can't do that. Had to go old school and dig out my Follder on AT&T. Finally found a number after 20 minutes.

Had a nice chat with the lady in India with the low battery signal on my cell phone chipping in my ear. I was afraid to try for the charger because I get less then 1 bar at my house and even turning my head can drop a call. After 15 minutes her tune had changed from "no problem in your area" to "we will call you in two or three hours".

Well thought I'd do my laundry as I jonesed over no Internet. I heard the garbage truck on the way to the garage. Aw I thought good, I'll put the clothes in then go get the mini dumpster and wheel it back to the back yard.

So go to get the mini-dumpster and see that the construction crew next door has decided to use my driveway and pushed the garbage can out of my driveway back in to my yard so they could park their truck. Needless say my garbage didn't get picked up.

Ok back in the house. Two hours later AT&T calls but when I pick up the phone it drops the connection. Two tries to call back but both times after five or ten minutes on hold the cell phone drops the call. (No land line. Usually don't need one because I use Google call at the house but of course I can't use Google Call with the Internet down.) Finally talked to a nice lady in Little Rock that explained they had a cut fiber optic cable that needed splicing, no ETR available.

Went out to the washer to put my clothes in the dryer and found out the spin cycle wasn't working. Well there's more to my day but that was the short version. I got my Internet back about 10pm. And how was your day?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-11, 05:09 AM
Group Moderator
Umm... Better than yours?

Old 10-25-11, 05:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, we all get those days from time to time hopefully today will be better

Back when I had dial up I had internet problems one day and spent a good portion of the day doing just about everything trying to fix it..... and then I got an email the next day from my ISP apologizing for them being down the day before.

My current saga involves my tractor. I'm cutting a road thru the woods to have access to a bunch of downed trees. I had the scraper blade turned around backwards and was making decent progress when I tried to lift the blade and it wouldn't. I looked down and saw liquid spewing out but it didn't look like hydraulic fluid, that's when I realized the valve stem for the back tire had busted and was shooting out calcium chloride Since there was no way to get my truck up there I hurriedly nursed my tractor to some open flat ground. Now I get to remove the wheel and tire, then replace the tube and fluid

I think that's why I've always liked early mornings - the day isn't old enough for anything to have gone wrong yet

Old 10-25-11, 08:11 AM
Don't take this wrong, but it's comforting to know that I'm not the only one that has days like that.

Old 10-25-11, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator
Ok Mark....I know you said it just so people will ask....

Why do you have CaCl in your tires? And why is it a fluid?

Old 10-25-11, 09:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Vic, I take it you've never been on a farm ??

Liquid is used for weight/ballast in the tubes to give better traction. In the deep south where it never freezes - they use plain water. The calcium chloride [mixed with water] won't freeze. It has the added benefit of being heavier than water. The downside is it will rust out a rim if it leaks [it's basically salt water]

There are alternatives; many use windshield washer fluid or anti-freeze but there is no extra weight beyond the weight of the water. There is a new product out that is made from a beet by product.... but I don't know anyone around here that sells it or what it would cost. I had 15-20 gallons in each rear tire tube so replacing the liquid won't be cheap. I think a bag of calcium chloride is the cheapest way to go but I really would like to switch to something that isn't corrosive.

Old 10-25-11, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator
Well, I grew up on a farm in OH, but we rented the land to a guy. I've baled hay a lot and plowed some, even helped him change some tires...but I don't remember anything about liquid in the tubes. I do remember him hanging huge weights on the tractor. But that was on the front to help keep the nose down IIRC.

Must take quite a while to fill a tube through the valve stem?

Old 10-25-11, 09:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Filling a tube isn't too bad. You use an attachment that allows you to connect the valve stem to a water hose. The hose is connected to a pump to remove or fill. If you are just using water you could skip the pump.

The also make wheel weights that bolt on to the rim. I have a bucket on the front of my NAA so there isn't a need for added weight in the front.

Old 10-25-11, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator
Ahhh...thats right...he did have the wheel weights also. And since all his equipment had been in the family for years, they had lots of time to accumulate whatever they needed. He might have had to drive 4 miles to bring it back, but if my parents needed backhoe, dozer, or blade work, he could always get it. Matter of fact he and his brother would scrape my parents driveway every year...with the Township scraper that his brother was in charge of. That probably would never be allowed now.

Old 10-25-11, 10:59 AM
Group Moderator
Also used in only one tire when plowing crosswise of steep slopes IIRC.

Old 10-25-11, 01:07 PM
[QUOTE=Gunguy45;1900868]Well, I grew up on a farm in OH, but we rented the land to a guy. I've baled hay a lot and plowed some, even helped him change some tires...but I don't remember anything about liquid in the tubes. I do remember him hanging huge weights on the tractor. But that was on the front to help keep the nose down IIRC.

Must take quite a while to fill a tube through the valve stem?[/QUOTE Gunguy45, the valve stem on tractors, or anything like that, that need liquid for added weight, have a special valve stem. It isn't like a car, the valve body comes out, and there is almost a 1/2 inch hole to put the liquid in.

Old 10-25-11, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator
Edward...

Mark stated that he uses tubes....I doubt there's a 1/2 hole, even in a tractor valve stem? Don't they still use standard shrader valves?

Old 10-25-11, 04:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The valve stem is somewhat similar to a car tire valve but if I remember right, the top half unscrews making it wide open. After you add the ballast, you screw the top half back in and add air as needed...... but the one I'm working on doesn't have the valve anymore and my memory is a little fuzzy

I had hoped to break the bead myself and pump out what I could salvage of the fluid. No such luck although I did manage to balance the wheel on the tailgate and let most of the remaining fluid drain out the hole. I did manage to catch close to 10 gallons. Tomorrow I'll have to go to the tire shop and get the tire unmounted and probably take the rim home to sand and repaint before I can get it fixed.