CO Poisoning

Old 11-02-11, 06:03 AM
CO Poisoning

Another tragic side story to this storm is that there have been 3 deaths in the state from CO poisoning. Two people died in separate incidents from running a generator IN THEIR BASEMENT! Another died from using a grill to provide heat.

Hospitals are also reporting a large spike in CO sickness. Mostly from people trying to get warm or cooking from grills and hibachi's.

There are still over 500,000 people without power in the state. Temps at night are below freezing.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-11, 06:34 AM
And, we have only started to tighten up homes for energy efficiency. As the number of tight homes increases, so will the education required to prevent these problems.

Bud

Old 11-02-11, 01:36 PM
I can't believe, that any one would run a generator in there basement. One thing for sure, they didn't read the Instructions that came with. I think the warning was printed on just about ever page, not run indoors. But the first thing that comes to mind is all the noise. My generator is in a shed, behind the garage, and it still makes a lot of noise. Even if it was exhausted out side, the mechanical noise would drive me nuts. And the smell of exhaust makes me sick, I guess I have a built in co deter.

Old 11-02-11, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator
I feel for the people...but every newspaper, TV, and radio station normally run public service announcements about safety during such events. Interviews with local fire and health officials and stories about past issues as well.

I know many people during these kind of weather problems worry about the gennie being stolen. My old neighbor in VA solved it by putting the gennie in the bed of his truck with all the windows in the cap open, chaining it to the tiedowns in the bed and locking the tailgate.

Old 11-02-11, 07:47 PM
around here, and i suspect elsewhere, there are people that, if you tattooed the warning on their faces. they would still do it.

round here, every day during the winter, a house burns down because of improper heating. stoves, extension cords. and god knows what else. these houses are in places that you would not want to visit.

Old 11-03-11, 06:20 AM
Reportedly the generator involved in the latest death was placed in the basement by the woman's boyfriend because he was afraid someone would steal it. IMO he should be charged with negligent homicide.

Old 11-03-11, 03:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You just can't legislate "stupid".

Old 11-03-11, 06:15 PM
Even thou my generator is in the shed, there still is a heavy chain that goes through the block wall of my garage. And there is a alarm on the shed, garage, and a big dog that doesn't like on wanted people in his yard. He grabbed me one night, when I surprised him. I needed something out of the shed, forgot my key to the in the house for the gate, so I climbed the fence, his was waiting on the other side. He took off running when he figured out who he had, but I gave him a doggie treat any ways for doing his job.

Old 11-03-11, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator
You just can't legislate "stupid".
You said it chandler!!!!! "You cant fix stupid", I always say.

Check this recent fatality......

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/03/ny...e&ref=nyregion

Mike NJ

Old 11-04-11, 06:29 AM
Darwin at work.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 11-04-11, 09:00 PM
When a person, or their family, is cold, hungry and miserable it is easy to do things that you wouldn't dream of doing when warm, well-fed and comfortable.

Search this Thread