Need help with a furniture moving problem

Old 11-11-11, 08:49 AM
Need help with a furniture moving problem

I hope there is someone who can come up with a solution to this problem.

When I moved into my house, I had an oversize sofa that I asked the movers to put in an upstairs study. At the time, I did not know that it would not fit through the door to the study.

So the movers somehow lifted it and put it in the study through the second-floor window to the room.

I have always hated having that giant thing in there, and I wish the movers had told me it wouldn't fit through the door.

I really want it out, but nobody i know has come up with a way to get it out other than to cut it up (which I don't want to do).

Dropping it out the window would break the wooden deck on the ground floor, and I'm afraid it might damage the wall/window frame too.

Does anyone know a way to get this giant sofa out of a second floor room through a window in one piece?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-11, 09:11 AM
Group Moderator
Did you watch the movers bring it in?

Sounds like a pretty major job.

It won't fit through the doorway even if you take the door off?

Old 11-11-11, 09:27 AM
I didn't see the movers bring it in, they told me how they accomplished the feat after the fact.

Part of it does fit through the doorway with the door removed, but there's an immediate turn that needs to be taken to get it down the stairs and there is no room for that.

Old 11-11-11, 10:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it wont fit through the door and down the stairs when stood on end, I would use the window route. Get three able bodied persons and some suitable lengths of rope.

One end is tied and dropped to the ground person. Their job will be to guide and keep the sofa from dragging the outside wall of the house. The inside crew will use their ropes and muscle to slowly lower the sofa from the window to the ground or deck.

Get a six pack and invite a few friends to your "sofa tossing party".

Old 11-11-11, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by goldstar View Post
If it wont fit through the door and down the stairs when stood on end, I would use the window route. Get three able bodied persons and some suitable lengths of rope.

One end is tied and dropped to the ground person. Their job will be to guide and keep the sofa from dragging the outside wall of the house. The inside crew will use their ropes and muscle to slowly lower the sofa from the window to the ground or deck.

Get a six pack and invite a few friends to your "sofa tossing party".
I've read and re-read this, and passed it onto a friend and we're having a hard time picturing your suggestion.

Is the man on the ground with the rope supposed to keeping the sofa from dropping out the window on his own?

Is the rope to be tied around the sofa?

I understand the guys upstairs lifting to sofa to and even out the window. It's the in between being out the window and not crashing to the ground, or having the weight of the sofa supported by the window frame I'm confused about.

I'd get the fellas a six-pack, pizza, heck even strippers if they could remove the sofa with the furniture and my wall intact

Old 11-12-11, 04:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The guy on the ground will man a guide rope to keep the sofa from slamming into your windows, siding, plants, furniture, etc as it is lowered by the ones upstairs.

Old 11-12-11, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator
I would think someone there has to know what they're doing and how to anchor it. If no one has a plan, then it's probably going to just fall and cause damage.
Two thoughts. Either hire someone (like a piano mover) or since you want to get rid of it, why not just cut it up? What were your plans for it?

Search this Thread