Black Friday

Old 11-25-11, 04:42 PM
Black Friday

What do you people think about this day. For weeks you see the ads, for sale on this day. I think is has gotten way out of hand now. My wife, her sister, and mother, have been going out for the past 10 years, it is like a girls day out, well not any more. I am not going to let her go any more. The big box store they go to, just about had a riot. People went to the hospital, people went to jail, some one got stabbed. And for what, all over a cell phone, that wasn't all that great to begin with. They should have had more then 50 of them. And at another store, the same chain, some women pepper sprayed people, to get the items she wanted. We should just for get about Black Friday, and shop on Cyber Monday, it is safer, and you don't have to get dress, and fight for a parking space.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-11, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
I didn't catch the city but on the local news they had video of people at a Walmart fighting over children's electric cars.

Mama to kid Christmas morning, "No, no car, sorry but Santa tried. That's why daddy is doing one to five."

Old 11-25-11, 06:26 PM
I just read an E-mail from my sister asking why it is Called Black Friday. I didn't have an answer.

I guess I could think of the Saturday after Thanksgiving as a Black day since that was the day I got married () but the first several years weren't all that bad. That year was the first (and last) time I went to an after Christmas sale and that was enough. I have never had the slightest desire to go out on these "special" days.

Truth is, other than food I do about 80% (or more) of my shopping on-line and have so for the last ten years. I recently bought an add-on television tuner from Amazon that didn't work. Returning it was easy as the original purchase as all I needed to do was go on the Amazon site and fill out a short return form and print a barcode for the package. UPS came by the next day with the label and took the package, couldn't be simpler.

Old 11-25-11, 06:50 PM
Group Moderator
Most companies are in red ink till November then the holidays put them in the black or so I have read.

Old 11-25-11, 07:37 PM
I saved money on Black Friday. - I did not go shopping and avoided the malls to save on gas wasted in the traffic.

I even unplugged my wife's alarm, but that probably did no do any good.

Dick

Old 11-25-11, 07:43 PM
Group Moderator
I went after work and causally walked through the stores (some I stopped to pick up material for the weekend work) and got everything I was looking for and more. I guess I'm not a trend setter trying to get the "hot" new things.

Old 11-25-11, 09:56 PM
I don't know if this store chain is doing something wrong, but it is just here in my town, or state. I am seeing news reports of it being country wide.

Old 11-25-11, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Most companies are in red ink till November then the holidays put them in the black or so I have read.
I heard that on the CBS Evening News but I don't believe it. It seems ludicrous to me that a retail establishment could stay in business if it only made money five or six weeks out of the year.

Old 11-26-11, 06:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
My take on is this: I followed wifey and grandkids through several stores, and while they "shopped" (men buy), I noted the biggest anxiety was at the shoe department. People walking out with boxes of shoes. WHAT MESSAGE ARE WE SENDING CHINA????? Keep making your cheap stuff.....we'll buy it! Have you tried to find shoes NOT made in China? Are we too stupid to make shoes? Is there a stigma attached to being a shoe maker? Totally turned my day off.

Old 11-26-11, 07:25 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Furd View Post
I heard that on the CBS Evening News but I don't believe it. It seems ludicrous to me that a retail establishment could stay in business if it only made money five or six weeks out of the year.
Hard for me to believe also. Heck, if true look at the overhead you'd save by only opening your store in November and December.

Old 11-26-11, 07:46 AM
I don't think I've ever gone out trying to catch sales on black Friday. I do most of my shopping online as well. Amazon is the best store on Earth. You buy anything from earrings to table saws. Great service and prices.

I agree that is BS that this is the time of year they go in the black with their accounts. They should go out of business if that is how they operate. As if the back to school season doesn't generate a ton of cash flow. There are plenty of those seasonal stores that only open in the mall for Halloween or Christmas and then shut down until next year.

Old 11-26-11, 07:56 AM
Group Moderator
We did have a nens suit store here that was only open Friday-Sunday. Kinda made sense. Guys who wear suits to work probably shop mostly on weekends.

On an off topic note I hated the Blue Laws. I was too tired from work (the kind of work guys in suits don't do) to shop on Saturday and nothing was open but one Jewish department store and grocery stores on Sunday.

Old 11-26-11, 11:12 AM
Group Moderator
I'm sure Jesus is so proud of the way ppl act...

Old 11-26-11, 12:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, I've never understood why anyone would want to fight over an item that you still have to pay for. Shoot, I'd rather do without or pay a little more than fight a civil crowd, much less an unruly one.

I doubt any of the stores only make a profit this time of year but it is entirely feasible that the bulk of their profit comes from this time of the year. I live near a NASCAR track that really brings money to the surrounding communities. A lot of the local business's depend on that extra profit to pay for upgrades and the like..... and the trickle down effect does work

Old 11-26-11, 02:52 PM
drooplug, I agree with you about shopping on line. You can do it any time, and you don't even have to get dress, go out and fight for a place in line or the parking lot. But some of these stores, still want to see your face. You click on something you want, and it comes up in store only

Old 11-26-11, 05:13 PM
I typically don't buy from stores online that have brick and mortar locations. I find those companies to have fairly poorly designed websites. I buy mostly from Amazon. The other companies I buy from online are usually catalog retailers anyway.

Old 11-27-11, 02:36 PM
I love to shop on line. And even more when I can get free shipping. And there is this one, you call brick and mortar location, you can place your order on line, and pick it up your self in a hour, or site to home, in 2 to 3 days.

Old 11-28-11, 07:20 AM
There is an AP report out today that says shoppers turned out in record numbers Friday spending an estimated 11.4 billion dollars on Friday alone. That number was up 7% from last year.

Old 11-28-11, 08:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I told my wife she spent too much!

Old 11-29-11, 11:52 AM
I like black friday. It's a good day to stay home and put up Christmas

Old 12-01-11, 03:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hey, Justin, where ya been, hoss?? Studying got you down??? Aaaawww.

Old 12-04-11, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Hey, Justin, where ya been, hoss?? Studying got you down??? Aaaawww.
Studying, plus other forums. (the one could use some more of the electrical guys on this forum)