How to

Old 11-30-11, 07:12 PM
How to

Every now and then I see these little quote bubbles, when people reply. How do you do that without pasting the whole message.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-11, 07:29 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Edward074 View Post
How do you do that
Like this! LOL

When you hit the "reply with quote" button, it will quote the entire original message, and you will see HTML code at the beginning and end of the message. HTML code appears in brackets like these: [......] You simply go in and edit out the portion of the original message that you don't need, but you leave the HTML code (at the beginning and end) intact.

If you are going to be quoting bits and pieces of a message and then entering your reply between those quotations it is usually best to copy and paste the beginning and ending bits of HTML and then copy and paste the original text in the middle as needed.

Old 11-30-11, 08:04 PM
XSleeper, thanks for your reply, I will have to give it a try.

Old 12-01-11, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator
You can also just copy and paste what you want to select, then run your cursor over it to highlight it, then click on the the last icon on the second row (above when you're replying) that says "wrap" when you hover your mouse over it. This will put your selected text in a quote box.

Old 12-01-11, 09:15 AM
....that says "wrap"

I just noticed that thing a couple months ago, much easier. Has that always been there?

Old 12-01-11, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah it has, but a blank white box outlined in black is not that noticeable, so it's easy to overlook.

Old 12-01-11, 04:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
so it's easy to overlook
Well, kiss my grits...............

Old 12-01-11, 04:35 PM
See there, even though we're over half way to a 100 we still can learn something.

Never had grits but I'll try almost anything, once. Just on the news....it's lutefisk season at the church. Mmmmm.....bring on the white sauce.

Old 12-01-11, 04:45 PM
Group Moderator
HTML code appears in brackets like these:
Actually that is BB code. HTML isn't allowed in the forum for safety reasons. However in many cases it does use the same wording.

Old 12-01-11, 07:21 PM
Group Moderator
Grits are pretty much like eating wallpaper paste. When I was in Louisiana after katrina I was eating breakfast with some other volunteers and they looked at me like I was crazy when I was mixing fruit with my grits. It needed SOMETHING in it that was sweet and had some flavor!!! What do I know we don't eat grits in Nebraska!

Old 12-02-11, 03:12 AM
You were eating Farina, not grits. Grits, a little butter, or cheese, salt and pepper, and you don't water them down too much.
I read a story once that attributed mental deficiencies in the south to grits. It is the only place where it is a staple product, and much of the mental or other deficiencies occur in Appalachia. The study didn't venture into mating habits or anything like that, I guess.

Old 12-02-11, 05:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Cheese grits are good for an evening meal or especially a fish fry. I like to mix an egg with my grits for breakfast. I've never ate any wallpaper paste but if it tastes like grits......

Old 12-03-11, 05:28 AM
Oooh, we have what is called Pioneer Porridge we get from a local mill. It is a mix of several grains, including rice, grits, etc. Boil it up, add cooked eggs, cheese, and breakfast is DONE. Eating some, now. Oh, yeah, folks, don't add milk to grits....it ain't oatmeal!

Old 12-03-11, 05:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Milk is good with grits - as long as it's in a glass

Back when I was dating my wife, we went out for breakfast and had grits along with whatever else we ordered. My wife barely touched her grits and asked if I wanted them. I thought I did but after one bite - she had put sugar in her grits

Old 12-03-11, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator
Ex wife did that, or sometimes brown sugar or some maple syrup. and she was born and raised in VA and her mom was from NC.

I like 'em with butter, salt, and pepper....sometimes I crumble up bacon and stir it in. Or add some hot sauce.

Old 12-03-11, 08:05 AM
grits. is that like CREAM-O-WHEAT ?

Old 12-03-11, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator
Accckkkk! Go immediately to the bathroom and wash your mouth with soap!

Old 12-03-11, 02:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't care much for hot sauce but it might help cream of wheat

Old 12-03-11, 04:17 PM
Cream of Wheat? No, grits are from corn. Cream of Wheat is what you use to paste wallpaper to the wall. And if you wash your mouth out, let it run a while, that stuff sets up pretty fast Mark, how do we put our true southern drawl in words??

Old 12-03-11, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator
I happen to like Cream of Wheat aka Farina, as long as it has brown sugar and cream in it.
I had Grits once, and didn't like it at all, altho I do like Polenta.

Old 12-04-11, 03:59 AM
Wifey was on one of her "organic" kicks one day and bought Cous Cous. I'm making her eat every morsel of it. That stuff would gag a maggot.

Old 12-04-11, 06:45 AM
Seeing I've never blessed the South with my presence I can't comment on grits. However, my niece and daughter have.

Their comments:

It's pretty bland. It tastes like a potato/rice mush. Probably better with something mixed in.

Grits are bland as can be. Nothing like lutefisk. ((((Gag))))

Cheese grits are OK w lots of salt and pepper

Old 12-04-11, 07:04 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Wifey was on one of her "organic" kicks one day and bought Cous Cous. I'm making her eat every morsel of it. That stuff would gag a maggot.
Bought some real cheap at the salvage grocery store I shop. One serving and the whole box was in the trash. Thanks for confirming it wasn't just because it was out of date.

Old 12-04-11, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator
I always think of grits kinda like ground hominy. The same stuff goes with either. Salt, pepper, hot sauce, cheese, bacon, sausage, etc.

Too often people get their first taste of grits at some chain restaurant or made from instant grits...or just made by someone who likes them a certain way (runny/creamy is the worst IMO, but some folks dig 'em).

I never really liked them growing up in OH...or the kind they made in the Navy, but once I transferred to VA and married a local girl, I finally got to sample some REAL grits.

Old 12-04-11, 08:29 AM
there are 2 kinds of CREAM-O-WHEAT. the bulk kind, and the individual packet kind. i like the latter.

nuke a bowl of water. add sugar, dump in the C-O-W while stirring (or else you get lumps :NO NO NO. spash of milk =

i tried grits one time many years ago. didn't like it. but it may not have been done correctly.

Old 12-04-11, 10:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
For those that don't like grits - that just leaves more for me

If I have to fix the grits, they're instant. Cooking grits in a pot is too much trouble for me not mentioning if the pot doesn't get cleaned promptly Is it true the Egyptians used grits for mortar I don't notice a lot of taste difference between quick grits and instant but generally restaurant grits are too thin.

Old 12-04-11, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator
Too often people get their first taste of grits at some chain restaurant
Yep, that's where I had mine. Cracker Barrel. I like their food for the most part. It was pretty thick tho, but bland. Didn't know what to do to make it taste better since I never had it before.

Old 12-05-11, 04:02 AM
Yeah, Cracker Barrel is good with certain dishes, but unless it is in the South, grits aren't their specialty. SURE it's bland. So is COW. You put stuff in COW to make it palatable, so grits aren't any different. Salt, pepper, crumbled bacon, crumbled eggs, a little butter. Even I (a card carrying redneck) would not eat grits sans embellishments.
Oh, that's nothing to frying up some country ham, making biscuits, removing the ham from the skillet and pouring about 1/2 cup of black coffee in the skillet, stirring it around. We call it "red eye" gravy. Put THAT on grits. Make you want to slap someone, it's so good.