snail mail

Old 12-13-11, 03:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
snail mail

Here, awhile back they closed our local post office sorting center. Since then the mail has been slower but the official word is the closure has had no effect on timely delivery

I've noticed for awhile anytime I get a TSC sales paper in the mail the sale is half over by the time I get the paper. Today my wife got a card/coupon for 15% off at her favorite store. The coupon is good "NOW and anytime thru Dec 10" I told my wife that maybe the coupon was good for almost a whole year...... but she wasn't amused

Now they're talking about closing the sorting center in the next town [where our mail goes now] and moving it all to the Knoxville center - over 100 miles away

I guess it's a good thing we don't use the post office for a lot of important stuff!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-11, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah...they are saying things might slow down...but it's either that or massive amounts of Gov money, I prefer the slowdown.

Besides...Mark...don't you live way out in the boonies anyway? Most of your stuff has probably been a day later than those who live closer to a city.

It's kinda funny...we can mail stuff to my step-son (Seattle apartment about 1000 miles away) and my wifes' sister (LA house...well sorta...400 miles away)...and he will almost always get his a day earlier..if not more.

All our mail goes from here to Vegas for sorting and distribution.

Old 12-13-11, 05:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Now, a sin is a sin, but there has to be an escalated version by having the TSC flyer late !! I can stock up on tarps and spring pins for the tractor when they go on sale. Oh, BTW, Mark, what happens to spring pins?? I buy bunches for the implements, keep them in a M60 box on the fender, go to hook one up, and they're gone. Possums?? Raccoons??

Old 12-13-11, 07:05 PM
Group Moderator
The USPS needs to be run like a business. You don't keep raising prices because your not getting enough work load to pay the bills. You need to go bankrupt and do some restructuring to get in the black. The days of retiring at 55 with the big pension is long gone, especially on my dime. Everybody is making cuts, why can't the PO?

Late TSC flyer? Get the online version or e-mail specials.

Old 12-13-11, 07:24 PM
Late TSC flyer? Get the online version or e-mail specials.
That is what is hurting the PO so much. About the only thing I get in the mail now, is netflix, and a few fliers.

Old 12-14-11, 03:20 AM
Think about it, Scott is right. Do we reeeaallly need the PO? It is a "hanger on" from the dinosaur days. It is inefficient, costs too much, does too little, why have it other than for the jobs it creates? Fed Ex and UPS does a much better job with packages, so that leaves mail. I can do without the grocery store ads. I'll pick one up when I go in the door of the grocery store. Junk mail creates a minimal amount of revenue. I get all my bills online, pay them online. My wife asks for a stamp occasionally. I buy a 10 pack of the Forever stamps and they last....well, forever. If someone needs a document, it is easy to fax or convert them to PDF and email them.
I'm not sure the usefulness of the Postal Service, a private company, BTW, has been proven as of late.
If it fails, let it fail like any other private company, and either vaporize or start again with a better logistical plan.

Old 12-14-11, 05:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
what happens to spring pins??
I'm not sure I know what a spring pin is is it the same as a lynch pin?

Maybe I'm just old fashioned [or just old ] but I'd hate to see the PO disappear but I wouldn't have any problem with them cutting back to 3 days a week [every other day]

Old 12-14-11, 05:56 AM
The part I can't understand is the postal employees I see don't get it. They walk like snails and expect the government to bail them out. We drive our outgoing mail to the next town to save 2 days delivery time to anywhere, as our local office can't get anything out the door promptly, except maybe netflix. And this is not a recent issue. Be it the PO or their union, they simply believe they are entitled to work at half speed for half the number of years and retire at full pay. When I see the UPS person being monitored by someone with a stop watch and they know how to hustle, I think they should be running the PO.

Bud

Old 12-14-11, 08:47 AM
You guys must all live in the sticks. The ONLY evidence I ever see of mismanagement at the Post Office is that they have a dozen (or more) windows but rarely more than three employees actually working the counter. The result is all too often a line of customers twenty deep and going out the door. But how is this any different from the local grocery store, department store, bank or even mega-mart homecenter that ALSO has at least a dozen (or more) checkout stands but only thre4e employees working?

Now I'll admit that sometimes the carrier does mix my neighbor's mail in my box but when you consider the HUGE volume of mail that is handled every day it is a wonder to me that more mistakes don't happen. Furthermore, the cost for sending anything other than a parcel is an absolute pittance compared to the private delivery services.

You can also stop the union bashing, just because someone else has a better package of fringe benefits that you is no reason to bash them. You could have joined a union.

When the day comes that UPS or FedEx checks my outgoing mailbox five days a week on the off chance that someone is mailing something AND delivers that Christmas card anywhere in the country for less than a buck is the day I declare the USPS obsolete. And I'm not holding my breath waiting for it to happen.

Old 12-14-11, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator
Gotta agree with Furd....I almost always mail via the PO vs any other shipper. I've found them cheaper and faster for almost anything except large items.

As to the workers...they sure don't snail it out here. They would never be able to complete their routes if they did. And they are carrying a 30lb bag over their shoulder in the walking routes. And they do it 6 days a week, rain, snow, or 110 degrees.

I think the biggest blunder was when they were required by Congress(?) to fully fund the pension/benefits so many years in advance. The only organization required to do so...whats up with that?

Old 12-14-11, 10:12 AM
Mr. Furd pretty much took the words out of my mouth.

When you can mail a letter from New York to LA for 44 cents and a small ice cream cone at A&W is a buck seems crazy to me.

Something from Wiki:

Of related significance is the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006 (PAEA), which obligates the USPS to prefund 75-years worth of future health care benefit payments to retirees within a ten-year time span a requirement that no other government organization is subject to.
As a consequence, it has been charged that the US Postal Service budget crisis of 2011 is, in essence, an artificial one.

Now that is something I just don't understand....they have to pay benefits for someone that isn't even born yet????

Crazy.

Old 12-14-11, 10:21 AM
Just like a lot of states and municipalities, the postal service is now paying for all the labor concessions that were made in the past before technology took a giant bite out of postal service revenues.

I'm with Chandler. I do all my financial business on line. I have for a dozen years or more. Outside of Christmas cards I probably don't use 10 stamps a year. Most of the mail I receive is junk and it wouldn't bother me a bit if they went to 1 day delivery.

Old 12-14-11, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator
I for one, still mail and receive things other than junk and ads. The prices can't be beat for most packages.
Being in a large city, there's still lots of post offices around here, and find while one may be slacking and lazy, the next one is fast and efficient. I think it may be a management problem at specific places rather than a whole.
I wouldn't be happy about it if they closed.

Old 12-14-11, 10:32 AM
I'm with Chandler. I do all my financial business on line.

I do too, very convenient. But what will the millions of people do that don't have a computer without the USPS?

Old 12-14-11, 10:41 AM
I've known a few carriers and they all agree that it is mostly a middle management problem that keeps them from being more efficient.

Like many people most of my financial transactions are via the Internet but I still use the good old USPS for many things. I'm all in favor of eliminating Saturday delivery but I don't see much in the way of savings in going to less than a five day delivery.

And yes, it IS that pension funding requirement that is the real cause of the current crisis.

Old 12-14-11, 11:20 AM
The pension funding should ease eventually as CSRS retirees die off. The current FERS system is way less expensive.

Old 12-14-11, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator
But the way I read it...they have to fully fund health benefits for the next 75 yrs....but they have to do it within 10 yrs. How in the world do you do something like that? Can you imagine if they had put that requirement on SS?

Retirement pay can be calculated pretty easily of course...but healthcare would have to be just extrapolated from past expenses.

Old 12-14-11, 01:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
We were supposed to lose our sorting center (Cincinnati), but it's been delayed until sometime next year. It will probably still happen and then I guess a Christmas card to my next door neighbor will go to Dayton or Columbus for sorting and then back to a hundred feet from where it started. Such efficiency.

Old 12-14-11, 02:13 PM
Would no delivery on Saturday really save that much. There is still people in the office working sorting mail. And you can even hear them back there on Sundays.

And as for going private, weren't they at one time a private company, that failed, and the government took over, because it was to important to lose.

Old 12-14-11, 05:47 PM
Eliminating Saturday delivery would eliminate a significant number of carrier jobs so yes, it would make a dent. In those areas where the carriers have motorized transport for the residential routes (like my area) there would be less wear and tear and consequently less maintenance on the carrier's vehicles and of course the fuel savings. It would likely not eliminate any other jobs so it is a relatively small number of job reductions compared to the entire workforce of the USPS.

No, the USPS has NEVER been a private operation. It was once known as the United States Post Office rather than the United States Postal Service and in those former days it was government-run agency whereas today it is a government-owned business. The change was made to compel the operation to be self-sustaining rather than operate via government subsidy. It is a fine line.

Old 12-14-11, 07:06 PM
As far as the union comment goes, UPS employees are unionized. Not sure about FedEX. So I don't see how that has to do with anything. This in addition to Furd's related comments.

The USPS has a come a long way in the last 10 years as far as making changes. And they still have a long way to go. I don't know the very nitty gritty, but there are some restrictions on what they can do without Congressional approval. And we know how awful Congress is at doing anything that makes sense.

The USPS still handles billions of pieces of mail vs. UPS and FedEX. They also deliver to nearly every address every day. Whereas, UPS and FedEX do not. The USPS' is experiencing high growth in package delivery. It is the other kind of mail that is shrinking. They are also working in partnership with the other carriers to deliver packages. I know DHL delivers their packages to the nearest USPS office and then the USPS delivers it to your door.

Old 12-15-11, 04:30 AM
Whenever I buy something, I specifically tell the shipper NOT to use DHL. It adds sometimes 2 days delivery time to my packages. Not tenable. Priority mail would have been faster. UPS or FedEx faster. That is not to say UPS doesn't deliver to the PO as well, as I have seen them do it. I just think it is out here in the country and it is very difficult for the big trucks to maneuver the country roads and mountains.

Old 12-15-11, 05:25 AM
Deliveries in the less populated areas can sometimes require a bit of innovation. My UPS packages to a northern bank branch would not reach their door before the 3:30 closing, which would mean they could never be delivered, so they would give the package to one of their employees to drop off at the managers house on his way home. We call it the sticks, they call it home, and make these kinds of accommodations all of the time without a second thought.

Bud

Old 12-15-11, 06:38 AM
About a month ago I ordered from Amazon and it was shipped UPS. Tracking showed it had just arrived (afternoon) at the post office so I ran up to get it.

When I asked for it the lady's face got a little twisted, "they haven't been sorted yet and there are about a hundred packages." This is just a small post office in a town of 1,300.

It adds a day to deliver time but probably saves UPS a boat load of gas per day.

Old 12-15-11, 05:16 PM
I didn't even know DHL, was still around, I haven't seen there trucks, or vans around here, in a few years.

Old 12-16-11, 03:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, they've not been in this area for a few years either. I didn't see it but the last time a DHL truck came to my place the driver got scared coming up my driveway and decided to back down and wound up in the ditch. Neighbors said it was a good hour before the tow truck was able to lift it out.

Old 12-16-11, 04:07 AM
I've had the UPS guy deliver my packages on jobsites. He knows my driveway and his truck don't mix, so he is on the lookout for my truck or trailer. If I'm not around, he will put the package in the driver's seat.

Old 12-16-11, 04:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My driveway isn't all that bad. I've had a concrete truck come up it [not a full load] and a fully loaded tri axle block truck...... but not all the UPS drivers will come up it. My wife's sister will ride up but won't drive up

Old 12-17-11, 05:20 AM
My brother has had a similar problem with his UPS driver not coming up his driveway until he had the turn around area enlarged. It's probably about 900 ft to his house from the road. It's uphill with a turn up by the house. Nothing serious about it or even potentially dangerous. The guy just couldn't drive in reverse. Meanwhile, the FedEX guy would back up all the way from the road to his front door with no problem. They shouldn't be giving these guys driving jobs if they can't back up a long driveway on their route.

Old 12-17-11, 05:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
They shouldn't be giving these guys driving jobs if they can't back up a long driveway on their route.
I couldn't agree more!!! My driveway is a little over a 1/4 mile long with 7 turns, up hill all the way. It's steep but not as steep as some. The biggest issue with my driveway is it's on the north side of the hill so when it snows or freezing rain - it takes a long time to thaw out

Good truck drivers have no problem coming up my driveway while the others refuse and say it's too dangerous. I can understand and wouldn't expect anyone to go up my road in the snow. There are 3 UPS drivers that service my area. 2 won't go up it although one will leave a package with a neighbor. The other UPS driver always comes up, once even in a light snow. The DHL driver that backed into the ditch was driving a van

Old 12-17-11, 02:06 PM
Some people just can't back up. My mother in-law, backed out of my driveway, and tore her mirror off on my fence post. And she saw the post in the mirror, before she tore it off. And the dive way is all most 2 cars wide pave, and wider if you drive on the grass.

Old 12-17-11, 06:06 PM
Hahaha. I know exactly what you mean. My wife has trouble with reverse as well. For some reason when she gets in the car and starts to go backwards, she instantly starts turning the wheel. I think I finally broke this bizarre behavior.

Search this Thread