Where to discuss "best electricity provider"?

Old 12-31-11, 11:28 AM
Where to discuss "best electricity provider"?

Hi,

I am planning to switch from Comed (residential) to one of my new electricity provider choices such as Constealaltion, EnergyDirect, IGS,...

I wanted to see if other folks have some advice and experiences with new providers.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-11, 04:23 PM
I haven't heard of the companies you mentioned. But over the years, I have had two different companies call me, and try to get me to change. And since then, I have seen both of these companies go out of business.

Old 12-31-11, 04:29 PM
I just found this site for IL:
ICC Plug In Illinois ®

I am thinking about Veridien (variable rate) or Champion (fixed).

I guess if they go out of business I can switch back again.

Old 01-01-12, 05:46 AM
I get offers like that in the mail every now and then. Like Ed posted, I wonder how long those companies survive.

I also wonder how it works. A new company supplying electricity to your home using the infrastructure of an existing company?

Old 01-01-12, 05:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Other than supplying it yourself [solar,wind,generator] I didn't know anyone had a choice. Everywhere I've lived, the power company has had a monopoly on electricity

Old 01-01-12, 09:00 AM
Mark - Some states have changed their laws to provide the consumer with a choice. CT decided several years ago to allow some competition in the electric utility market.

As I understand it these new providers are basically brokers that typically buy power and somehow sell it to the guy that owns the delivery system (POCO). Supposedly it's cheaper but not knowing exactly how it works or if these new guys are fly by night outfits I'm going to stay with my long time POCO even though they really suck.

I'm a guy that went a week without power post Irene.

Old 01-01-12, 09:35 AM
I don't think there is any chance you would loose electricity if that company went out of business. The POCO that owns your network still has to come and shut it off. I would assume that if that company folded, you would be paying the local POCO until you made another choice.

I feel like it's a bit of a gamble if you are truly going to save money. If you go with a variable rate, you could wind up paying more than if you stuck with your local POCO. Same with a fixed rate. You are in a contract for that rate until it expires. Then you are just constantly shoppping around for the best price. Making the switch takes time for it to be implemented too.

Old 01-01-12, 03:25 PM
destruct05,

In your area, this may work for you. But in my area, there would be no real savings, and after the initial discount period, it would most likely end up costing me more. Most of my bill, almost 2/3 is tax, and what they call a delivery charge. I could go away, for a month, turn everything off, and still get a bill for $120.00, because of the delivery charge. And the only way around the delivery charge, is to have the meter turned off. And guess what, that has gone way up to, it cost more then the delivery charge.

And I don't understand this at all. They don't even come to my house any more, to even read the meter, and they haven't in like 5 years. They just drive by slow, and pick up some signal from my meter.

Old 01-02-12, 05:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I don't see the economics in brokering electricity. I'd like to see someone come in and sell it for less than say the Southern Company can in the southeast. In Atlanta, you get your power from Georgia Power Company or you use candles. Aside from setting up your own solar array and selling back to your POCO, you are gambling on rates that may only last a year or so, then you are at the mercy of the POCO anyway.

Old 01-02-12, 07:47 AM
I know with natural gas there is a futures market and that is how other companies make money by selling you gas. I'm not sure about the power supply market though. I assume that the POCO buys electricity using long term contracts. So that can lock them into higher rates when another company can come in and buy power at a lower rate.

For me, the delivery charge is based on usage. I have a customer charge of $2.20 every month that I have to pay no matter what my usage is.

Old 01-02-12, 07:53 AM
I found this interesting information on JCP&L's web site about generation suppliers "All licensed suppliers must post bonds to help ensure their financial responsibility and the supply of electricity to satisfy their contracts or agreements."

https://www.firstenergycorp.com/cust...lier_list.html

Old 01-02-12, 05:15 PM
drooplug,

For me, the delivery charge is based on usage. I have a customer charge of $2.20 every month that I have to pay no matter what my usage is.
10 years or so ago, it was a lot cheaper. Back then it was called a meter usage fee. It was around 8 dollars, it all depended on how much credit you got from the Nuclear power planet, it was always the same. Then for some reason, it went from meter usage fee, to delivery charge, and it just started go higher just about every month.

They could do it a lot cheaper, if they weren't so money hungry. There is a near by city, that gets there power from one of the mills there. The mill generates there own power to run the mill, and sells there extra power to the city for almost nothing. I pay more in one month, then most of the people there pay a year.