gas can spout

Old 01-12-12, 02:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
gas can spout

Anyone know where I can get a replacement gas can spout? It's a 20 yr old craftsman gas can with a 2" opening. All the replacement spouts I can find are for a 1.75" opening.

My craftsman gas cans have a life time warranty but apparently sears doesn't make gas cans anymore [not that I would want one of the new type] They can order me a new spout but are unable to tell me if it would fit.

For the time being I've glued the crack and applied duct tape and that seems to be working ok but..........

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-12, 03:02 PM
Group Moderator
The Sears spout is free, right? If so, I'd go ahead and have them order it.

Old 01-12-12, 03:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No, I'd have to pay for it

I didn't even get an offer to trade my old can for an unwarranted new can....... but they only had one size and I don't want to try and get used to the new design. It's possible another employee on another day would be more helpful - I've had that happen before at Sears.

Old 01-12-12, 04:03 PM
Sears is not even close to the store it used to be. It's surprising how far that brand has fallen.

Some interesting Sears trivia. Sears started the Discover Card and Allstate Insurance Company.

Old 01-12-12, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator
And don't all the new cans now have the stupid automatic seal/vent thing? Where you have to try to lift the 5 gal can, slide a little lever and push the button at the same time? Took one episode of that before I got the sidecutters and a screwdriver out...no more safety/pollution features.

Old 01-12-12, 06:03 PM
Weird. The can I have is spring loaded. It has a little hook on the side that you put against the lip of the tank and push. The gas then rushes out. No levers or anything. It is a few years old though.

Old 01-13-12, 03:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
From what I've seen, all the new cans have that trigger spout and no vent. That might work ok for a chainsaw or mower but I couldn't imagine fighting that to put gas in my tractor. I have 3 old plastic cans, 1 gallon and 5.25 gallon craftsman along with a 5 gal one from Lowes. They all have the same size/type spout.

Vic, when you cut up your spout - can you still close off the spout when not in use? I've heard that you can drill a .5" hole in the new cans and insert a tire valve stem [minus the core] to fix the lack of vent part.

Old 01-13-12, 04:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sears is not even close to the store it used to be.
I heard that! Remember when K-Mart was going belly up and Sears bought them out? From what I read in the paper when they merged the 2 companies, they got rid of Sears top guys and replaced them with the K-Mart top management - weren't they responsible for a lot of K-Marts financial problems? In the last month or so I read that Sears was considering selling the rights to Craftsman tools to the highest bidder

Old 01-13-12, 06:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Mark, I use commercial spring loaded cans for the tractor. Opening is probably 2". No spout. But I have one of those lock in funnels that fit and twist into the tank opening of the tractor. Heck, the funnel holds 2 gallons. Nice. Looks like this:

A smaller version for lawn mowers eliminates Vic's frustrations (mine, too):

Old 01-13-12, 02:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That spout looks interesting, might not even need a spout with it. I may go that route later but I'm going to hang on to my old gas cans as long as I can. All 3 spouts are interchangeable although that might get old fast

Old 01-13-12, 04:12 PM
I heard that! Remember when K-Mart was going belly up and Sears bought them out?
It was the opposite. K-mart bought Sears. I was shocked. I swear I remember K-mart being in bankruptcy at least twice prior to that. I recently read they might turn into an investment company. Sorta like Berkshire Hathaway, I guess.