The Electrician Said What!

Old 01-14-12, 11:15 AM
Group Moderator
The Electrician Said What!

Just turned of fAsk This Old House. I just couldn't watch any longer. They were upgrading to a 200 amp panel fine so far. But then the electrician explained how the electric gets to your house. He points to the two black wires of the Triplex and says, "Each of the insulated wires carry 120v to your house which is returned on the bare wire". Geeze, no wonder the people are confused when they post in Electrical. They've been watching TV.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-12, 11:48 AM
Ray, I watch TOH and the "home improvement" shows only for laughs. This morning I happened upon an episode of Today's Homeowner (I think that's the name) where they were talking about programmable thermostats will save 25% of your heating and cooling bill. Well, that only applies IF you have a VERY regular schedule AND you can't be bothered to manually turn the thermostat up and down. For people with irregular schedules or those that can't properly program their thermostat it won't save a dime.

Honestly, I think the only person on TOH that has a clue about anything is Tommy Silva, Maybe the gardener, although his severe speech impediment is quite irritating. The rest are just shills.

Old 01-14-12, 03:51 PM
Group Moderator
I gave up on TOH when Bob left.

Old 01-14-12, 04:22 PM
Maybe the gardener, although his severe speech impediment is quite irritating.
You mean his New England accent?

Old 01-14-12, 06:20 PM
They all have New England accents (except for the red-headed kid) but none of them is as bad as "Wahger" Cook. That man can't even come close to pronouncing an "R".

As for the program going downhill after Bob Vila left...I read that he left because Russell Morash (the producer) wanted costlier and costlier remodels and Bob wanted a show the average homeowner could relate to. I didn't think it was too bad while Steve Thomas was host but under the kid it seems that ALL of the remodels are between $150k and $300k and involve homes and properties that more likely than not have million dollar price tags.

Old 01-15-12, 06:15 AM
Group Moderator
My memory at the time was that someone in the chain of command took issue with Bob making money doing commercials and endorsements.

Old 01-15-12, 06:18 AM
Yeah. That is the one thing I miss about TOH, the homeowners putting in sweat equity. It's sad to say, but I think most of those remodels are well north of $300k.

The latest host, Kevin O'Conner grew up in New Jersey.

Old 01-15-12, 06:22 AM
I missed Vila at first, but found him hard to watch in his next show. He is always in such a rush and hurries people along when they answer his questions.

Old 01-15-12, 06:53 AM
You got it. Bob Vila started doing a lot of outside endorsements. One of them was for a company that was a competitor of TOH sponsor Weyerhauser. Weyerhauser pulled it's sponsorship from the show and Morash canned Vila.

Personally, I lost interest in the show when Norm Abrahms did. Now I watch it occasionally but for years the reno projects have been too big to keep me around.

As for the professional, licensed electrician making a mistake - he's somebody they hired not part of the regular cast. I don't think they have ever had an electrician as a regular part of the show.

Last edited by Wayne Mitchell; 01-15-12 at 07:08 AM.
Old 01-15-12, 07:03 AM
Furd - Cook's accent is more appropriately a Bahston accent. That's the place where they "pahk the cahs in hahvad yahd." While there's some spillover into Southern NH and Rhode Island it is distinctly different from most of New England. It's also more pronounced than the accents found in the rest of the New England states.

While I agree that Cook's accent is as heavy as I've heard I don't think he has a speech impediment. My wife was born in Boston and she understands everything he says.

Search this Thread