Hack Job.

Old 01-17-12, 04:03 PM
Hack Job.

A lady from a Christmas lights forum sent me these pics of her meter base after losing a leg and having to call an Electrician. She hired the original "electrician" a few years ago to install the Aluminum line to her Garage and a panel for her lights. I figured I'd share these with you.

Mods: I'll leave this in the Chat forum, Please move this if you feel the need to.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-12, 04:28 PM
I'm not real swift on electrical. Can you explain all the offending situations here? My guesses are that you shouldn't be tapping in at the meter base like that. It looks like the one lug blew off. The other panel looks like a suspect ground connection to the neutral bar.

Old 01-18-12, 03:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Subpanel looks OK, with the exception of the two grounds under one screw. No wait, is he energizing the subpanel with the smaller wires??? Then feeding with SE? You can't tap into a meterbase, period. I can't tell if this is from underground or not. If so, they tapped into the hot side. If overhead, he illegally pulled the meter to do this. If he was an electrician, he should have his license pulled and prosecuted for reckless endangerment and made to pay for the retrofit.

Old 01-19-12, 05:39 AM
Subpanel looks OK, with the exception of the two grounds under one screw. No wait, is he energizing the subpanel with the smaller wires???
The two neutrals under one screw, the smaller one is CU, the larger is AL. This a service disconnect for her lighting panel. Also note the BR breaker in the Siemens panel and lack of a grounding electrode conductor.
Then feeding with SE? You can't tap into a meterbase, period.
He tapped 2) 100A panels off this 200A meterbase.
I can't tell if this is from underground or not. If so, they tapped into the hot side. If overhead, he illegally pulled the meter to do this.
It's an overhead service, he tapped off the load side of the meter to feed the garage panel. Also note the tap for the garage is aluminum with the other conductors being copper.

If he was an electrician, he should have his license pulled and prosecuted for reckless endangerment and made to pay for the retrofit.
This was done by a liscenced EC that worked for a large company. She is working on prosecuting him now.

Old 01-19-12, 04:24 PM
So what are the details on her story? What exactly occurred?

Search this Thread