360 second wait

Old 02-04-12, 05:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
360 second wait

I know we have had this discussion many times before, but no one has ever given a definitive answer.
I like helping others, especially my friends, the moderators when I see an obvious infraction such as advertising or spamming. But I am concerned about the logic of making us wait 360 seconds to report an advertiser, when the advertiser only has to wait 180 seconds to post more advertising. It only causes us to not want to help keep the forum clean and free running. Am I the only one? If so, I'll crawl back in my cave and be quiet.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-12, 06:39 AM
Group Moderator
They seem rock solid on not changing it. It was discussed again just a couple of weeks ago among the mods. According to the techs it can only be applied globally and certain things like reporting SPAM can't be exempted.

Old 02-04-12, 07:24 AM
Applied globally? What else has the 360 second wait besides spam reporting?

Old 02-04-12, 08:33 AM
Group Moderator
Applied globally? What else has the 360 second wait besides spam reporting?
Starting a thread and replying to a thread are the primary reason for it. The SPAM report is just collateral damage. It is there to prevent a SPAM bot from flooding the forum with SPAM posts.

Old 02-04-12, 09:04 AM
Group Moderator
I have gotten the impression from the upper people here that it is not that their not willing to do it, but it is part of the forum "program" that is used. (not a program expert so please bear with me) To do so would require rewriting the program.

Old 02-04-12, 09:35 AM
Admin Emeritus
The time limit between posts is NOT 360 seconds. It's 180 seconds. Across the board and unfortunately applies to everyone. No exceptions are made. Even those whom want to make reports. We all appreciate everyone doing that. Thanks to those who do...

But it's there for a reason and best stated by Ray2047......Thanks Ray.

"It is there to prevent a SPAM bot from flooding the forum with SPAM posts."
Will the time limit ever change? Answer is NO. Will it be removed. Answer is NO. Can there be exemptions? Again, answer is NO. It's just a few whom ruin it for all... We all have to live with it as it is. The benefits outweigh the inconveniences. The techs have no plans to change it to exclude some members nor mods. Just the way it is...

I hope this explanation and those above puts this subject to rest once and for all. Not likely but hopefully.

Old 02-04-12, 09:49 AM
Too bad about the arbitrary inflexibility. I just exit and bail out to go to another site that seems to have more interesting activity. When I get around to it, i may come back.

The time limit make it very unfriendly when you report spam or advertising and just have to wait, so it is actually an impediment to eliminating spam/advertising.

Dick

Old 02-04-12, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator
Actually Tom....I think the delay for spam reporting (not posts) by members is indeed 360 seconds. I haven't used it in so long I can't be sure...but I believe what others have stated is correct. I never understood the reason to delay people who are just trying to alert us to a problem.

Most folks know they only need to report each spammer once, so we rarely get multiple reports on the same person.

I DO understand the 180 between posts and there are work arounds for that for members in good standing. It does help for the typical spammer since they seem to hit us in the early morning in most cases and one of us is usually around the smack them down quickly.

Old 02-04-12, 10:16 AM
Group Moderator
180 seconds...Just enough time to go to the bathroom and grab a snack.

Old 02-04-12, 12:32 PM
I'm occasionally irritated by the three-minute rule in regular postings but in the realm of all of life's irritations, it's pretty far down the list.

As for the six-minute rule for reporting posts, I only find "reportable" posts once or twice every several months.

Old 02-04-12, 02:24 PM
Group Moderator
This is the only forum I am aware of that imposes a time limit between posts. Has anyone run into it in use elsewhere?

Old 02-04-12, 03:43 PM
This is the only forum I know of with the v-bulletin software that has 180 seconds between posts, takes forever to load, no photo hosting, no reply with quotes.

Old 02-04-12, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator
You have to understand, this is a huge forum. Right this minute, there's close to 4,000 people on here. Spammer's are trying to post here constantly. If you were behind the scenes, you'd see what we see.
Without the security measures in place and all the mods keeping vigil everyday, this forum would be overrun with spam.
In that case, we wouldn't have this forum at all.

Old 02-04-12, 04:57 PM
The 360 wait is ridiculous. The 180 wait is annoying, but I understand the reason behind it. I tried to get into the forums over at TOH, but they were ruined by spammers. This is pretty much the only place I go for DIY. This forum has been great.

Old 02-05-12, 04:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Tom, although the others have corrected the path, the 6 minute rule is sort of backing up, when spammers and advertisers can post every 3 minutes. Sort of like leaving one car length between you and the car ahead of you for every 10 MPH. In a large city you would be driving in "reverse". Similar here.
The 180 second rule, like Droo said is annoying, but probably necessary, and livable.
I am up early and note quite a bit of spamming/advertising before things get rolling. The mods do a great job at cutting their feet off. I just like to help out by alerting them, but at 6 minutes, not too often, now. I got better things to do.

Old 02-05-12, 11:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
180 seconds...Just enough time to go to the bathroom and grab a snack

I just go to the kitchen and grab a snack.

Old 02-06-12, 07:26 AM
180 seconds...Just enough time to go to the bathroom and grab a snack

I just go to the kitchen and grab a snack.

Took a minute for that to register. Good one!