Need help with my first project :)

Old 02-09-12, 05:56 PM
Need help with my first project :)

Hey everyone!
This is my first post here and I hope someone can give me a hand, or I can contribute in the future. For now I need some expert opinions. For a project in school me and my partner came up with the idea of making our own air filtering baby canopy. I made a drawing of what I imagine it would look like. I just for the life of me can't come up with an idea to make the frame out of.

Here's an image so you can see what I'm talking about...
http://i.imgur.com/7ntRp.jpg (side)
http://i.imgur.com/ReCcd.jpg (top)

So I'm pretty sure I can make the base and the supporting frame out of 1/2inch PVC pipe with 45degree elbows. The electrical and fan for the filtration unit and netting we have have sorted out already.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out what to make the "filtration unit" out of. It needs to be a shell basically so I can fit the filter and fan inside. First I thought maybe use thin aluminum sheet metal and form it to a desired shape. (I've even found stuff for air conditioning ducts that is almost in the shape and size where it would work for a prototype. I even had an idea of using foam. Use a foam cutting tool to make a top and bottom piece, paint them with an acrylic coating to harden it. Then gluing the top and bottom piece.

*Any idea what I can use to make some sort of "box" that doesn't look like junk to hold my internals?

Also, taking any ideas of how I can make the folding joint for the supporting arches. I was thinking maybe just making them less wide than the frame, so they can be lined up towards the center, and drill a hole through them and bolt them. Any comments?

If you've made it this far in my post, thank you! And I look forward to any of your craft ideas.

tl:dr; What material can I use to make a "shell" of a desired shape that can hold electronics and stuff?

-Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-12, 06:19 PM
Group Moderator
Wood, being an easy material to shape and low cost, is the first thing to come to mind. You can shape it to what ever you want by cutting and sanding, and when it is all done, paint it to look good.

Search this Thread