Home with Holmes

Old 02-15-12, 05:48 PM
Home with Holmes

A lot of people on DIY probaly watch the Holmes on Holmes show and yes, he is good....

A lot of his work is on property where the homeowner has been ripped off, so we know they couldnt have footed the bill for Holmes to tear the mess down and start over. ..

He goes way over the top sometimes on some of projects and spends major $$ $ really on projects that could have been re-worked without teardowns.

So, I wonder if sponsors only are footing the bill for his "corrections" or is HGTV helping out ??...

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-12, 05:59 PM
I saw a special once that went behind the scenes on that show. Alot of what is done is covered by the sponsors and HGTV but they did say that there are times the Mike has flipped the bill for some of the things that he does from his own pocket because the budget for that pocket ran out or it was more work than they thought it was suppose to be. It was a good insight to the show and the things that go into what it takes.

Old 02-15-12, 06:02 PM
Group Moderator
Good question! He used to drive me nuts when I had only seen a few episodes. I hate cocky suckers like that. But after watching a few more, I can see that he wants to do stuff right, and I admire that philosophy. But I still think he needs to tone down the arrogance a little. LOL Maybe I'm the only one that feels that way.

Old 02-15-12, 06:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
In addition to the sponsors and the network, I believe he has a "foundation" set up to help with the cost overruns. Not sure where that money comes from. He is a little razzy and full of himself, but his theories and steadfastness can't be beat, IMO. I like the philosophy. My guys hate it when I tell them to "do it right" or do it over on your own time

Old 02-15-12, 06:45 PM
Agreed, Mike is a great and caring fellow, but his " dramatic " personality can get over powering at times.

A looong time ago, I started working construction when I was 18, residential / light commercial. The last 20 years my wife and I have renovated 3 homes with us doing all the trades except roofing/HVAC. ..

The one problem I have with some of the DIY TV shows is, they are not really DIY. Some us those projects are so over -the -top- and expensive, they would be handled by an architect and a general contractor anyway....

I really wonder how many DIYers get in over their heads on home projects, because the pros doing the same desired project on TV made it look so easy, inexpensive, and finished it so fast.

Old 02-15-12, 06:55 PM
Group Moderator
The one problem I have with some of the DIY TV shows is, they are not really DIY.
When you see some of the blunders they uncover on his show, it's more of a lesson on "what not to do". LOL!

Especially electrical... some of the stuff they show reminds me of something my grandpa would have wired.

Old 02-15-12, 07:01 PM
I would not classify Holmes on Homes as a DIY show.

The homeowners do pay for some of the work too. It depends a lot on what they have left. And I think that when they say he pays out of his pocket, it is his share of income from the show that he uses.

Old 02-16-12, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator
If I remember right....in the early shows there was some sort of Gov fund that helped pay for some of the repairs. And I'll lay odds all the material (at least things like doors, windows, appliances, etc) is donated as part of the sponsership.

This is from his FAQs at his website...."Holmes on Homes™ offers discounts depending on the scope of the job, which are passed onto the homeowner. As HOH is a TV show, we have money to cover Mike's time and his crew, and we pass these savings onto the homeowner. Any other costs are paid for by the homeowner."

And I agree....it's more of a "How not to DIY" show.

Old 02-16-12, 09:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The thing that gets me about his shows is how he says the word "contractor" like it's a dirty word. While I agree there are some bad contractors out there, some are exceptional with the majority somewhere in the middle.

Old 02-16-12, 12:26 PM
Take a look at Mike Holmes when he's standing upright. One arm is significantly longer than the other from years of patting himself on the back. That tells you all you need to know about Mike Holmes.

If I hear him say "code is minimum" one more time . . . .

He's also occasionally wrong.

Old 02-16-12, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator
I thought the long arm was from pounding nails...lol.

The way I look at it is...maybe a show about some hack that goes around screwing people might be more entertaining, but overall I think he's promoting a good thing. Build it so it will last like it's supposed to.

I like the other show "America's Handyman" (?)....more than the other 2 he does. Those are real people.

Old 02-16-12, 04:00 PM
He doesn't say contractor to belittle them because he is one. He says it in quotes to mean that this person called themselves a contractor, but they weren't and didn't know what they were doing.

There some things he has said that I don't agree with too. It's also Canada where th codes are a wee bit different than ours. I saw him freak out over a vertical electrical panel with the cables entering the top of the panel. In Canada it isn't code, but here in the US, that is how it is done.

I like Holmes. He is selling a quality job. The American consumer buys on price, not quality. So I like what he is doing.

Old 02-16-12, 06:18 PM
Even if the person that is watching Holmes never understands anything about why or what he is doing, they will get his strong message about how to avoid getting ripped off. ...

His message is probaly worth its weight in gold, as most people really want to see the good in other people. But they pay dearly for that attribute, whenever they do not do their D D and investigate the contractor for their integrity and workmanship....

Sometimes even when the DD is done to the best of our abilities, we still get ripped off by a contractor. Ask me how I know that.

Old 02-16-12, 06:36 PM
i like Homes .........................

Old 02-22-12, 01:55 PM
I really wonder how many DIYers get in over their heads on home projects, because the pros doing the same desired project on TV made it look so easy, inexpensive, and finished it so fast.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ge...#ixzz1n9Mhyh1k
For that kind of thing watch Renovation Realities on HGTV. Each episode shows ordinary people doing some kind of large project (usually too large) by themselves without any professional help. I can't watch the show any more because these people seem to be getting more and more inept. I'm no pro, but common sense tells me when I can't do something myself, despite what I've seen on TV.

Old 02-22-12, 02:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
common sense tells me when I can't do something
What gets me is how 'uncommon' common sense seems to be
When I see what some nit wit has done [locally or on TV] I'm somewhere in between 'you got to be kidding' and 'what were they thinking'