auto gas price hikes

Old 02-29-12, 03:39 PM
Well whoever took those pictures Gunguy I am glad you shared those the pictures are absolutely awesome.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-12, 04:32 PM
Group Moderator
Did the whole tour thing about 20+ years ago and it was pretty impressive. I think I have a Modern Marvels episode dvr'd on the original construction. As I recall the concrete in the dam is technically still curing? That boggles the mind.

Old 02-29-12, 04:43 PM
I watched that same show about the dam being built, I was in awe. There is more than just cement and rock in that dam.

Old 02-29-12, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator
Yes...the tours are still going on. I did it when I was 15 or so...and too young and dumb to understand what it was. Did it again after we moved here. When you are older it weakens the knees when you realize what an undertaking it was. And yep...the concrete is still generating heat...the pours were huge.

I don't believe anyone died on the bypass project...but the dam itself claimed many lives, would never happen with the rules we have today.

The pics in my last post were all mine...and yes...it will inspire you. We are still capable of great things in this country....though if you look at the firms that did the engineering...they may be Chinese...not sure. Probably just the name...I'm glad they came.

Old 03-01-12, 06:13 PM
Group Moderator
Vic, it would also take 50 years to build it nowadays. Note that the Empire State Building was put up in a little over 15 months I think; how much progress at Ground Zero 10+ years after 9/11. Of course middle of the Great Depression they didn't have to pay the thousands of workers very much.

Old 03-06-12, 01:30 AM
Hi everyone I was doing a survey and they were talking about bio diesel apparently it is made with soybeans of all things. Anyway they had a video about it that was on You Tube so I thought everyone here would like to see it. Here is the link to the video Here Now - YouTube. Mainly just a pr plug from the bio diesel industry but interesting all the same. Not sure whether this is better or worse as far as air pollution is concerned but it is still interesting as far as energy independence is concerned.

Old 03-06-12, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the video. I've been looking into some things like this. I really hope that the whole nation can switch over to this.

Old 03-06-12, 04:44 PM
Personally, I think biodiesel from soybean and corn ethanol are terrible ideas. Yes, there is upside from a security point of view and I think they burn a wee bit cleaner than fossil. The downside is that fuel production is now competing for the same resources as food production. This is largely why food prices have skyrocketed in the last 10 years. I'd much rather see recycled vegetable oil used for biodiesel.

Old 03-06-12, 08:12 PM
I agree drooplug there is some competition with our food supply. According to what I learned though they are using a mixture of used cooking oil and soybeans. So maybe someone may see your post and start using more recycled vegetable oil. After all there are plenty of fast food places out there.

Old 03-07-12, 08:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Supply and demand issues? Then tell me why gas is costing almost the same with oil at $110 per barrel as when it was $150 per barrel.

For extra credit, tell me why if oil goes up a dollar a barrel why does gas go up 10 cents a gallon. Note a barrel of oil is 42 gallons.

Old 03-07-12, 09:36 PM
I think the answer is the speculators out there, oil as you know is traded on the stock market and the speculators have helped to bring the price up. Something I agree about with our current president. Of course problems in the middle east don't help either and more domestic oil needs to be pumped something of which has been held up a bit by too much red tape. So it is a combination of things that probably will not change until the elections in November no matter who wins.

Old 03-07-12, 09:53 PM
Craig Ferguson: "People in LA are outraged because of the gas prices, $6 a gallon, but you can't tell because of the botox."

Love that guy!

Old 03-08-12, 06:54 AM
Some years back, I caught the last half of a tv show where a group of guys were traveling in what looked like a Back To The Future rigged up VW van. For fuel, they were dumping banana peels, coffee grounds and a whole host of other trash. Wonder what happened to that project. Did anyone else here see it?
I know it's possible to operate a vehicle on something other than gas because my ex-father in-law rigged up a motor cycle to run on water...some kind of steam thing. Unfortunately, he didn't get it patented and someone else did before he died and his older children learned of his invention.

Old 03-08-12, 04:59 PM
Gasoline is not the only product that comes from crude oil. So the price of oil and the price of gasoline are loosely correlated. It is also possible to have lower supplies of gasoline while having a large supply of crude.

Old 03-08-12, 05:42 PM
I just took a short trip into northern Wisconsin (Peoples Republic of Wisconsin) and decided to top off at a station in MN near a freeway to save on the price because the difference fuel taxes and not having to stop and waste time to buy in WI which always has higher prices and people from WI that work in MN always buy gas in MN.

When i got about 15 miles from the freeway in MN, the gas was $0.10 cheaper and only $0.15 higher in WI at the same station chain that is the a buyer and partial owner of a local refinery. All other brands of gas were the same price.

That says avoid buying near a freeway and buy in a state with lower gas taxes, although I learned that years ago while living in CT.

It is all supply, demand and inventory capacity, although it costs $1.00 to $2.00 per mile one way to deliver 8000 gallons of gas from a refinery 100 miles away (up to $0.05/gal).

Dick

Old 03-08-12, 06:40 PM
There are two gas stations I pass on my way to work every morning. They are right off the interstate. Now gas prices vary greatly between stations here in NJ. These two particular stations are always at least 50 cents higher per gallon than anywhere else and they don't have trouble getting customers. If you drive about a 1/4 mile down the road, there is another station that is far more reasonably priced. Ever for stations right off the highway, their prices are stratospheric.

Old 03-15-12, 04:24 PM
Well it looks to be a long summer, with no unnecessary traveling. I watch as the price of gas inch it's way up. It seemed like no one, wanted to brake the 4 dollar mark, every body was at the $3.99 mark for almost a week, till yesterday. It is going to cost me 8 bucks, to cut the same lawn, that I only got paid 3 bucks to cut when I was a teenager.